Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Apr 19, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile Data Use in USA

Hi All

Quick question for those with better knowledge than me, which is everyone!

I’m visiting the West Coast in a couple of months, with a mobile phone that is tied into a contract with O2.

I want / need to be able to use data on my phone - mainly for use of Maxpass in the parks but also as we are splitting for a week, and will only have 1 satnav so I would like to be able to use my phone as mine.

Obviously O2 don’t run good data packages as other providers do. Is there anything I can do to get around this?

Is there anything I can buy that would enable me to use data/WiFi without my contracted allowance or do I have to just suck it up (at around £5 per day!)

Thanks in Advance

Gill
Old 23 Apr 19, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
Apprentice Imagineer

for the sat nav. there are free apps that you can download and pre-load any maps that you need to be used offline so wont end up using your data (such as here we go).

Obviously doesn't have real time navigation to avoid any road works/congestion etc but it is a decent alternative - I suspect it will cost an arm and leg to use your data for that as it really eats into data use.

March 2015 - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=865148
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
x_Ange_x
Apprentice Imagineer

I downloaded florida onto google maps on my phone - you just select an area on the map you want and click download -I did Orlando all the way down to Anna Maria Island - as stated above you don't get the live travel updates but it worked fab the whole time we were out there - you can access wifi in all the parks, we used my Disney app and the universal app in the parks and had no issues

Can't help with the data issues - I went into the 02 shop and asked for advice similar to what you are asking and the guy said 'my advice is to not take your phone' ! but that was a few years ago
Oct 14 Villa, HRH, AMI - Oct 16 Villa, HRH, AMI
OCT 18 Villa, AMI- June 2019 R&R AMI 17 nights
x_Ange_x is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by x_Ange_x View Post
Can't help with the data issues - I went into the 02 shop and asked for advice similar to what you are asking and the guy said 'my advice is to not take your phone' ! but that was a few years ago
if someone told me that, i'd be asking for my pac code so i could move to a network that DID have reasonable roaming data tariffs!

*edit*
if its just satnav you want, grab HERE WEGO (used to be nokia maps)

play.google/store/apps/d... maps&hl=en_GB

itunes.apple/gb/app/here...955837609?mt=8

you can pre-download maps for where you are going, so that you don't use any data (whereas waze/etc use real time traffic data, which will cost you)

using the GPS on your phone costs nothing, you just need to make sure your data/roaming is turned off

hth

Edited at 10:24 AM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

Is your phone locked to 02? If not have you looked into getting a 30 day sim from 3?
Jan 24 - Family timeshare, Vacation Villages at Parkway
Mar 25 - Family timeshare, Holiday Inn Club Vacations @ Orange Lake
itsmeGAV is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by itsmeGAV View Post
Is your phone locked to 02? If not have you looked into getting a 30 day sim from 3?
Just about to type this pretty much word for word

The last trip I did I got a pay as you go sim from Three, cost me £15 and I just used this as my sim for data and calling back to home.
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill635
Imagineer

Gill635's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by itsmeGAV View Post
I presume it is, but to be honest I wouldn’t know how to check?

Thanks guys, I’ll have a look at some of those apps, or failing that I’ll just have to pay the extra for a HC with satnav. If it was Orlando I’d know where I was going ha ha.

The Disneyland website advises there are WiFi hotspots in the parks, and lists them on the park maps, but it’s not free roaming like in Orlando, so the fast passes etc are going to be a total pain!
Old 23 Apr 19, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
itsmeGAV
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Gill635 View Post
I presume it is, but to be honest I wouldn’t know how to check?

Thanks guys, I’ll have a look at some of those apps, or failing that I’ll just have to pay the extra for a HC with satnav. If it was Orlando I’d know where I was going ha ha.

The Disneyland website advises there are WiFi hotspots in the parks, and lists them on the park maps, but it’s not free roaming like in Orlando, so the fast passes etc are going to be a total pain!
If you got your phone directly from 02 it most likely is locked to 02, give them a call to confirm as sometimes they can unlock it for free.
Jan 24 - Family timeshare, Vacation Villages at Parkway
Mar 25 - Family timeshare, Holiday Inn Club Vacations @ Orange Lake
itsmeGAV is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
When did you take out your contract with O2? I upgraded mine last year and my tariff includes data abroad, in certain countries outside of the usual Europe zone. I’m in the U.S. at the moment and this is the text I got when I arrived.

I also used data in Canada last summer with no additional costs.

O2 normally split their phone and tariff contract, and although your phone contract might still have time left to run, your tariff might be upgradable now. I can’t get on to My O2 at the moment to check what it’s called, but it’s something like O2 Travel Inclusive Zone bolt on. Think they brought it out in March 2018, so any contracts taken out since then should include it.

Here’s the link to the O2 page about it: o2/international/t...inclusive-zone If you haven’t already got this, it might be worth seeing if you can swap to a tariff that does include it.

Edited at 04:37 PM. Reason: Adding link
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink Tina
slightly serious Dibber

My dd is with O2 and they said she could change her tariff just before going on holiday to cover USA and then change back after... can’t remember exactly how much but I’m sure it wasn’t too much more!