Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 2 Jun 20, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Emily90
Excited about Disney

If DVC is not an investment, bur rather 'prepaying for holidays', then what is the benefit?

Just wondering what the advantage is of as they say 'prepaying for your holidays' - as DVC is not an investment.

My question is then, why pre pay when the future can be uncertain, i.e. losing your job, your health etc?

What benefit is there for people who buy DVC?

Thank you
Emily90 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

We bought into DVC to stay at deluxe accommodation, especially bigger units for our family unit. One room for 4/5 adults is not viable for us.
Old 2 Jun 20, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

We bought in 2004 because we love WDW and wanted to holiday there in deluxe properties for the foreseeable future. At the time you purchase you have to believe you will continue to use your membership for many years, if things go wrong short term your get out is renting your points to pay dues, anything major selling your ownership is possible.

The only benefit I considered when buying was holidays in exchange for dues and I would eventually end up 'in front' when my savings exceeded the cash I'd paid up front for the points.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

We bought in 2000 when it was almost 2$ to the £ and the cost was ridiculously low due to the good exchange rate. Our 1st trip we took our whole family and stayed st the Boardwalk for 2 weeks. At the time that whole trip would have cost us the same as the cost of the points we bought and 2 years of annual dues. So basically one trip meant we broke even. We knew we would go back regularly, liked the flexibilty of the points system and the chance to stay in delux resorts that we wouldn't have paid OOP for.
I'm not sure I would buy now though with the huge cost upfront and then high annual dues due to the exchange rate.
We never saw it as an investment but as a way to go back to a place we love and stay in excellent accommodation.
We love our DVC and I will be 72 when our contract is up and hope I am still fit enough to go that last year. 😀

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
lov2dibb
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 11
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by Emily90 View Post
Just wondering what the advantage is of as they say 'prepaying for your holidays' - as DVC is not an investment.

My question is then, why pre pay when the future can be uncertain, i.e. losing your job, your health etc?

What benefit is there for people who buy DVC?

Thank you
Well, put simply, that's it - your accommodation is pre-paid other than annual dues of course.

You, therefore know in advance the likely cost of your deluxe on-site rooms for the next 20+ years.

Do you know how much that cash room at The Beach Club will cost in 5 years time? I can tell you mine will be around $130 per night in annual dues - I no longer count my initial investment as it's been more than covered by the savings from previous stays in the last 13 years but you can build that in if you want and work it out. (I paid less than £50 per point back in 2007 for BCV)

Points can be resold if you run into financial/health difficulties.
lov2dibb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Its the cost savings which can be quite considerable if you always stay in deluxe resorts. Take our last stay in a 2 bed at SSR it would have cost nearly $15,000 and our upcoming 2 week stay at BLT in a 1 bed which is over $12,000 if we paid cash.

The reason why DVC always say its not an investment is for legal reasons. It stops them being sued if someone sold and didn't make any money and it also I think would fall under different state regs.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

It’s timeshare rebranded by Disney. Timeshare can’t legally be sold as an investment
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Kellea
VIP Dibber

We bought in in 2016, I think we said we had to have around 6/8 visits before we broke even. We then have the luxury of deluxe accommodation until 2057. The only outgoing will be our annual dues x

1993, 2008, 2011 OKW villas 17 nights ( thanks to Irene , 2013 3 nights Renaissance Seaworld, 3 nights HRH Club, 16 nights OKW and DxDDP, 2014 5 nights HRH Club, 16 nights OKW. 2015 15 nights Sheraton Vistana Villages. 2016 3 nights Sheraton New York Times Square, 3 nights HRH club level, 16 night AKL SV, 2 nights BLT. 2017 5 nights OKW, 5 nights BWV, 7 nights BLT, 4 nights HRH club. 2019 3 nights Renaissance (SW), 4 nights HRH CL, 7 nights BLT LV, 7 nights AKL SV

KELLEA
Kellea is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Emily90
Excited about Disney

Thank you for your replies. I'm trying to do my due research and that includes challenging why we should get it!

These are really helpful though. I'm just doing sums sums sums.
Emily90 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
skelfbsfb
Imagineer

skelfbsfb's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We bought in as we loved going to Disney. As for an investment we have had many years of staying in resorts that I could only dream of staying in but being part if the dvc family as allowed my family to do this.

We also if sold at todays price would actually make a profit which to me is not too bad.
2003:Quality Inn Plaza 2004:Howard Johnston 2005:Sheraton 2006:POR 2007:AKL 2008:BWV-OKW 2009:BWV-VB-RPH 2010:Villa-HRH 2011:BWV-HRH-VB 2012:VB-OKW-BWV-HRH 2013:OKW-BWV-HRH 2014:OKW-BLT-HRH 2015:HRH-OKW-BWV-PVB 2016:OKW-HRH-BWV-PVB 2017: BWV - PVB 2018: BWV - PVB 2019: BWV - CC
skelfbsfb is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List