Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 25 Jun 17, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Toria_dee
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
I'm not prying but whatever age you are or if you have kids I'll defy you not to cry when you're standing at the top of Main Street for the first time looking down at Cinderella's castle

Joan and I are the "wrong" side of 70 and after 50+ years in the construction industry with its many ups and downs (too many downs :angry: ) and a couple of fairly serious health issues we now subscribe to the view that there's no pockets in a shroud and we do what we love doing as often as we are able and for as long as we can.

Mick
Mick, I'm 32...I have three children 2 sons aged 11 & 8 and a 5 year old daughter.

I cried when the picture in my sig was taken and when my daughter got so excited at seeing Rapunzel at Disney on Ice back in April. Rapunzel is her favourite, Snow White is no2 and despite being to DLP a few times she's never met her. That fast pass has been booked for MK

H and I always say you can't take it with you so make the most of it as you never know what tomorrow brings. My mum is forever moaning at us to save more, but all our household bills are paid on time each month so why can't we enjoy it. Not my problem she's rather sit at home staring at the walls waiting for the "what if"...

xx

WDW July 2017
Lapland Dec 2024
Disneyland Hotel 2025
Orlando Nov-Dec 2026
Toria_dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 17, 12:21 PM  
Link to this Post
keith1973
Imagineer

I think that you can join before or after the booking. I booked the fly-drive then a couple of days later joined Avis Preferred and linked the booking.

I'll let you all know if it works in November.

Mick
Agree but from what I've read it can be a pain if you do it after.
Old 25 Jun 17, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Adding Joan is also something I need to sort. I can see that it's free on the Avis website but not how to add her. I think Dibbers have said you just show them both D/Ls at the garage or barrier.

I only add Joan for emergencies though Miles driven by me in Florida - around 39,999. Miles driven by Joan in Florida - around 1 She drove around Regal Palms once about 10 years ago.

Mick
I've never had the DW's name on the rental agreement, they always say she is covered and they do not need to see her licence, but they always put the free additional driver on the agreement and look at their licence. I always ask and always will, just incase they change it, but it is always no need. My daughter had the same conversation with them with her partner. They just said as long as you live at the same address that is good enough for them and they can drive without being added. They do stress same address though for partners (D/L etc)
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 17, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by fredflintstone View Post
I've never had the DW's name on the rental agreement, they always say she is covered and they do not need to see her licence, but they always put the free additional driver on the agreement and look at their licence. I always ask and always will, just incase they change it, but it is always no need. My daughter had the same conversation with them with her partner. They just said as long as you live at the same address that is good enough for them and they can drive without being added. They do stress same address though for partners (D/L etc)
Thanks for that. Happy to say that Joan and I do live at the same address.

Mick
Old 25 Jun 17, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Thanks for that. Happy to say that Joan and I do live at the same address.

Mick
But you're married, so AVIS don't care even if she didn't, she can drive it
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jun 17, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
ginger ninja
Imagineer

ginger ninja's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We used Avis through BA for the first time in LA in April and we just went straight to garage and we were out in 5 mins, completly forgot about adding on fuel until we read the slip properly the next day! typical tired head after 24hrs awake! and never added another driver as there was no way I was driving in CA! all went well and we joined avis preffered after booking, I just messaged Avis on facebook with booking details and they sorted

ginger ninja is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 17, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ginger ninja View Post
We used Avis through BA for the first time in LA in April and we just went straight to garage and we were out in 5 mins, completly forgot about adding on fuel until we read the slip properly the next day! typical tired head after 24hrs awake! and never added another driver as there was no way I was driving in CA! all went well and we joined avis preffered after booking, I just messaged Avis on facebook with booking details and they sorted
Good to hear positive feedback re LA.
Old 5 Jul 17, 05:44 AM  
Link to this Post
Toria_dee
Imagineer

**Avis Preferred 1st time hire update**

Hello from sunny Davenport...

As promised here is my play by play for Avis Preffered.

We arrived into Fort Lauderdale after connecting through Philadelphia. It was a case of grab the bags and head to the garage.

As expected my name wasn't on the preferred board so I made my way to the preferred desk opposite the boards.

The girl asked my name and confirmed dates etc. She asked to see my driving license & the credit card registered to my account (I used my current account debit card). Once she confirmed all these details were correct and corresponded with what Avis had on file, she printed me a slip and told me the parking bay of my car.

I asked about my additional driver and she asked if any where my spouse, I pointed to my h and said him. As expected she said he's covered automatically and they didn't need his details, but I had an additional driver I could add so my FIL gave over his driving license. The agent also confirmed it was all paid for and we just needed to bring it back with a full tank of fuel.

We made our way to the garage, loaded the car and were off.

My debit card was charged $99, but at the moment it's showing as a hold, not an actual charge, so I'll keep an eye and see what's what.

Car wise we booked BA flydrive and the car was Chevrolet Suburban (or similar), we have been given a Ford Expedition EL. It massive, very roomy and just lovely (as car goes). We managed 4 adults, 3 children, 6 suitcases, 7 hand luggage suitcases and a pram with ease.

So I've been up over 24 hrs now and heading to bed, but hoping my info re 1st time preferred rentals.

Easy as pie, she also confirmed that on my next hire my name will show on the board so no need for the kiosk.

WDW July 2017
Lapland Dec 2024
Disneyland Hotel 2025
Orlando Nov-Dec 2026

Edited at 05:46 AM.
Toria_dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 17, 06:35 AM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Toria_dee View Post
Hello from sunny Davenport...

As promised here is my play by play for Avis Preffered.

We arrived into Fort Lauderdale after connecting through Philadelphia. It was a case of grab the bags and head to the garage.

As expected my name wasn't on the preferred board so I made my way to the preferred desk opposite the boards.

The girl asked my name and confirmed dates etc. She asked to see my driving license & the credit card registered to my account (I used my current account debit card). Once she confirmed all these details were correct and corresponded with what Avis had on file, she printed me a slip and told me the parking bay of my car.

I asked about my additional driver and she asked if any where my spouse, I pointed to my h and said him. As expected she said he's covered automatically and they didn't need his details, but I had an additional driver I could add so my FIL gave over his driving license. The agent also confirmed it was all paid for and we just needed to bring it back with a full tank of fuel.

We made our way to the garage, loaded the car and were off.

My debit card was charged $99, but at the moment it's showing as a hold, not an actual charge, so I'll keep an eye and see what's what.

Car wise we booked BA flydrive and the car was Chevrolet Suburban (or similar), we have been given a Ford Expedition EL. It massive, very roomy and just lovely (as car goes). We managed 4 adults, 3 children, 6 suitcases, 7 hand luggage suitcases and a pram with ease.

So I've been up over 24 hrs now and heading to bed, but hoping my info re 1st time preferred rentals.

Easy as pie, she also confirmed that on my next hire my name will show on the board so no need for the kiosk.
This is really useful information. Thanks for sharing.

Have a great holiday.

Old 5 Jul 17, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Mobile

Thanks for the info - really useful to know. I couldn't quite remember what happened last time we used it. It was all a bit of a blur - blame the flight!