Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 25 May 14, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
vanlou
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 40
Great start. We have Crystal Palace breakfast booked - really pleased as looks yummy

DLP Aug 2004 SQL, Dec 2007 HNY, Dec 2008 DLH
WDW Aug 2011 POFQ/RPR, Aug 2014 - HRH/POFQ
August 2014 trip report - Er, where's the rain?
vanlou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 14, 04:53 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber

Day 2

IHop Breakfast

We made a trip to the IHOP near Crossroads, this ended up being one of our only table service meals off-site actually, we had plenty of food available with the DDP! We love IHOP and always try to visit at least once every trip.

We both went for the Pick-a-Pancake combo, but with slightly different variables. I had sausage links, hash browns and scrambled eggs with strawberry-banana pancakes:

Chris went for sausage and hash browns with his eggs sunny side up, and apple-cinnamon pancakes:

Oh lord, this was epic! Everything you expect from American food I normally have quite a small appetite but I'm not ashamed to say I absolutely smashed this. I had orange juice whereas Chris had coffee, they left a full cafetiere for him, and I once again got very enthusiastic refills

Drinks in Crew's Cup Lounge

I had a Magical Star cocktail:

This was lush, one of the best cocktails of the trip. So fruity and sweet but with a good pour of alcohol. I love how they don't give alcohol in 'measures' over there and just pour. Doug Stanhope does a great skit about the difference between the UK and US and how we dish out alcohol I also loved the glow cube but this got mislaid by the end of the evening

Yachtsman Steakhouse Dinner

This was another first for us, thought since we were staying at the Yacht it would be nice to eat heartily here and roll upstairs to bed. The bread service came first:

There were two caramelised onion rolls and two sourdough (I think?) rolls, which came with butter and baked garlic. Ooof the onion bread was to die for. I ate far more than I should have done! I am such a sucker for bread...I then had the Filet Mignon:

I swapped the sides allocated to this on the menu with those listed with the porterhouse, so truffle fries and garlic butter sauce. This was lovely and it doesn't look that big, but it was SO rich that I could hardly eat any. Chris had the rib eye steak which came with blue cheese butter and bone marrow:

He said the steak was amazing but I've got to admit the bone marrow knocked us both a little bit sick. Something not right about that.

We also ordered a side of creamed spinach:

This tasted lovely but we really didn't need this and shouldn't have ordered it. Again it was so rich that the whole meal was just overwhelming.

Neither of us really fancied dessert but as it was included we ordered it anyway. I had the seasonal sorbet trio, which included a strawberry-rhubarb, a peach and a lemon. They were all lovely (the peach was my favourite) and it actually softened the blow of the heavy food that had gone before it. I had quite a good go at this but didn't finish it. Chris had crème brulee but I don't seem to have a picture of this?

If I'm honest I don't think I would return to the Yachtsman. I felt horribly queasy for about a week afterwards (it may not have been the food here, but the thought of this meal still makes my stomach feel weird). It may have just been that with being so jet-lagged it was far too early in the hol to have a meal this rich. I don't really feel it was worth 2 TS credits but I know I'm in the minority here
LadyDebs86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 14, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYLIZ
Imagineer

Loving the report. The bone marrow looks so wrong. It would have put me off the meal. Well done on the free PE upgrade
DISNEYLIZ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 14, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber

Day 3

Beach Club Marketplace

Our first trip to Beach Blub Marketplace! I wasn't feeling that hungry so just got a cranberry-orange muffin for a snack credit:

Very nice indeed but again I don't think I even ate half - we had a TS lunch booked later so I didn't want to go overboard anyway. Chris went for the scrambled egg platter, which came with bacon, potato casserole, and a biscuit. Doesn't look like I have a pic of this either (Chris was still a bit funny with me taking pics of food at this point). He said it was ok but not an experience worth repeating, and the biscuit was 'grim'. We didn't go back there for breakfast, but we did find their lunch/dinner options much better and went back a couple of times, as you'll see later in the report

Coral Reef Lunch

We visited Coral Reef on our last trip and it is a firm favourite, such a pretty setting. Sadly at this point the severe quease I mentioned in the last post had well and truly set in, so I didn't get to enjoy this as much as I'd like. Bread service first:

Warm ciabatta rolls with black-salted butter. I didn't have any but I remember they were lovely on our last visit. I then went for a caeser salad with king prawns:

Basically I went for the cheapest option as I knew I wouldn't eat much, in the event I could hardly touch it but I feel really sad about that now as it was really tasty. The prawns were so juicy and fresh.

Chris had the lobster pasta:

"Coral Reef Lobster Orecchiette Pasta - with White Cheddar Cheese and Basil Oil " He said this was really lovely and he enjoyed it a lot. He said this was his first time trying lobster but I am convinced he had the exact same dish on our last trip in 2010! We agreed to disagree.

Chris then had the coconut mango chiffon cake for dessert:

He said this was great, a very light and refreshing end to a quite rich, creamy meal.

I ordered the chocolate wave as I had been desperate to try it:

It looked so pretty but I couldn't eat any of it, I felt horrendous by this point. Chris took one for the team and ate this too, he said it was great. The centre of the pudding was really melty...again I really wish I could have this meal again while not feeling grim

We didn't have any dinner this evening because I felt awful and spent most of the late afternoon and evening asleep. Chris said he just felt full so didn't fancy anything.
LadyDebs86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 14, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
We'll done on the upgrade, you don't hear that very often these days.

So... was the bone marrow actually bone marrow think I'd have been put off too.
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 14, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

Great start, I loved the yachtsman but I think the sight of the bone marrow would make me not want to return!
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 14, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber

Day 4

AK Breakfast
Chris grabbed an 'elephant ear' pastry from the snack van near Kilimanjaro Safaris at AK.

He loved this but said it felt very rebellious eating it for breakfast! I just had a banana as I still felt rough. I doubt you care about seeing a photo of a banana, which is a relief because I don't have one.

Yak & Yeti CS Lunch

For lunch we shared a Honey Chicken from the Yak and Yeti counter service. With our QS credit we got a drink (lemonade - this was like a bucket. Absolutely massive. Even with all the ice in there we couldn't finish it) and a dessert, so we went for another frozen lemonade cup.

My appetite was still small (get used to hearing that for the next few days) but I had a fairly decent (still pathetic) attempt at this, it was yummy. Such a great use of a QS credit, something different from just burgers and the like. I've read people say its quite annoying that you have to get through all the chicken to eat the rice and veggies, but I found it fairly manageable - trust me, I wouldn't miss a chance to whinge about something.

Drinks at Downtown Disney

I had a pink lemonade and Chris had a beer from the outside bar between Raglan Road and Cookes of Dublin.

I don't have a pic of the beer (suffice to say, it looked like a beer) but I remember it was a Samuel Adams Summer Ale, which he really loved and had a few more of throughout the holiday. Mine was so lovely, pink lemonade is my favourite drink ever!

Splitsville Dinner

We were booked in for dinner and bowling at Splitsville. We were there about 5pm so there was really no point in an ADR. It did get a lot busier later on though. I had a lemonade (cool glass!) and Chris had a beer (frozen glass! ):

Blah blah blah small appetite blah blah I ordered the cheeseburger sliders from the appetiser menu. Chris had a cheeseburger:

I picked at mine but I can say they tasted like proper American burgers, I'd definitely go back here for a full meal! Chris said his was brilliant, he described it as 'dirty' - in a good way! Great atmosphere in here once it filled up a bit.

We paid OOP for this so no desserts.

Edited at 03:33 PM.
Old 25 May 14, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Subscribing - yummy pics
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 14, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkertangled
Imagineer

Mobile

Mmmm subscribing! 😋
Tinkertangled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 14, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mariechez
Imagineer

mariechez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Love food reports, thanks for sharing. Have to say im always disappointed with fruit over there, l always expect it to be amazing but it never is. IMHO

ORLANDO 03,04,05x2,07,O8,09,10x2,11x2,12x2,13,14,15,16
LV x2,SAN FRAN & LA,CRUISING THE CARIBBEAN,BALTICS ,FJORDS,BAHAMAS,ITALY,
BARCELONA,FRANCE, PORTUGAL,BOSTON, NEW ENGLAND,BELGUIM,GUERNSEY. NEW YORKx3 & MIAMI
mariechez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List