Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 22 Jul 14, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Kellea
VIP Dibber

fantastic

1993, 2008, 2011 OKW villas 17 nights ( thanks to Irene , 2013 3 nights Renaissance Seaworld, 3 nights HRH Club, 16 nights OKW and DxDDP, 2014 5 nights HRH Club, 16 nights OKW. 2015 15 nights Sheraton Vistana Villages. 2016 3 nights Sheraton New York Times Square, 3 nights HRH club level, 16 night AKL SV, 2 nights BLT. 2017 5 nights OKW, 5 nights BWV, 7 nights BLT, 4 nights HRH club. 2019 3 nights Renaissance (SW), 4 nights HRH CL, 7 nights BLT LV, 7 nights AKL SV

KELLEA
Kellea is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 14, 12:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Glad you are all enjoying the report.

Lady Debs I poured over your food report for weeks, only fair you get a mention.

Smedley hope you have a good experience at Coral Reef.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 14, 12:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Well since I still seem to be on American time, might as well continue...

Day six: I had insanely thought Chef Mickey at 7.20am was a good idea and after a rush to get ready and a taxi we made it! Note to self, rope drop is early enough for us! Ds was keen to have breakfast here. It was fine but not as good as Tusker House and I wouldn’t be too bothered about going back unless I was staying in a monorail resort. It was great walking to Magic Kingdom from the Contemporary though, first time I have seen the attraction in staying there.

A wee strawberry and Banana smoothie in Tomorrowland, love these, with a snack credit.

For lunch we headed to Columbia Harbour House after our Family Magic Tour (which I would totally recommend). We shared 2 meals, the fishand chips and the fried shrimp, both very good and the apple pudding was really nice.

This evening we had the clambake at Cape May booked. This was great. We all really like fish and seafood so it was excellent for us. The crab legs were a great hit with Ds, first time we had had them and a really nice teenager at the next table showed Ds how to get into them.

Ds also had great fun drawing flags all over the table. We would definitely go back there.

Edited at 12:11 AM.
Rescuer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 14, 12:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Day seven:
Finally a restful day , again cookies from the beach club marketplace for breakfast, healthy…
We decided we would brave a trip to the chaos that is Downtown Disney. Ok it is a mess but the fact there is only one bus stop operating at the moment means it is a far quicker journey on the bus. I was keen to try the Wolfgang Puck breakfast but by the time we were organised an early lunch was the best we could hope for! What a great use of quick service credits, really good food with a nice choice.

I had the bacon wrapped meatloaf with mashed potato, it was so good.

Dh had the crispy chicken. He enjoyed it.

Ds had the macaroni cheese and declared it the best cheesy pasta ever! High praise indeed…

For dessert we got 2 cookies to take away for later snacks and a slice of cheesecake to share. All very nice.

We collected our gift voucher, picked up a couple of things in the Lego shop then headed back.

Dinner was at Epcot in the pouring rain. 13 years ago on our honeymoon the Lotus Blossom Café was our favourite quick service. Should have stuck with the memories! It just wasn’t as good as it used to be. Dh and I had the orange chicken, ds the kids sweet and sour.

The ice cream desserts, the Lychee one was ok but the caramel ginger was odd! China would not be our first choice of quick service in Epcot next time.

Edited at 08:42 PM.
Old 22 Jul 14, 12:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Day eight: Discovery Cove. Our first trip there, up at the crack of dawn and booked in for the 9am dolphin swim. We grabbed a quick breakfast first. It was ok, I have a total hatred for eggs so my plate looked a bit sparse but the french toast sticks helped fill it out.

I noticed in the morning you could help yourself to snacks and bottles of water but by the afternoon you had to ask, or maybe it was just different locations.

We grabbed lunch just before the rain came on, the choices were fine and I had some sort of chicken and pineapple thing which was nice, dh had a burger and ds had a hotdog and macaroni cheese. All fine. We had fresh fruit and cheesecake for pudding.

Just realised I did actually have one other alcoholic drink this holiday and it was a pina colada thing after a float in the ‘stressful’ river. A non swimming husband and a 6 year old who thinks he is invincible in 8 feet deep water left me needing a wee touch of alcohol, not a lazy river at all! :angry:

Being the 4th of July we had originally booked chefs de france in Epcot for this evening but had cancelled the night before and I am so glad we did. Our plan was to watch Illuminations with our fastpass+ but it was about 7 till we got back to the Yacht Club and DS was shattered so Beach club marketplace it was again and another balcony viewing of illuminations. I branched out away from the flat bread though and had the Turkey Sandwich with Brie, it was very tasty!

Edited at 08:48 PM.
Old 22 Jul 14, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Day nine: Another restful day, or it would have been had we not needed to pack up all our stuff and change rooms. Yacht club were great though, there was a problem with the air conditioning unit in our room and they found us another good room a few doors along and let us hold on to our existing room till it was ready. For lunch, after a round of golf and once we had moved into our new room, we collected a tray of stuff from Hurricane Hannah’s. The usual, 2 burgers and a chicken nuggets, filled a hole! No desserts just extra waters.

Another of my Epcot favourites for dinner tonight. Tokyo. We had never had Japanese food until last year and I really only booked here because the kids meal came in a monorail care, shallow, I know! Anyway we loved it last year and it was at the top of our list for this trip. It didn’t disappoint. The food is really fresh and light. I had Roppongi - Shrimp and scallops with seasonal vegetables, it was really good especially the scallops.

Dh had Shibuya - Shrimp and chicken breast with seasonal vegetables, so essentially the same as me but chicken rather than scallops, he agreed mine was better.

DS had shrimp tempura, indeed it came in a monorail car. I think this is great for kids, it had his shrimp, the beef rice, veggies, miso soup and 2 pieces of krab roll. Ds loved it, he really likes picky food and on the plus side he wasn't eating mac and cheese!

For dessert I had the green tea cheesecake which was lovely and for once was a nice normal sized portion, DH and DS had ice cream.

I will definitely return here, dining plan or not and although I like a few of the Epcot places this is probably my favourite.

Edited at 11:33 PM.
Old 22 Jul 14, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Day ten:
Another character breakfast this morning. Cape May. Really good much less chaotic than Chef Mickey. Maybe not quite so much food choice but what they had was really good. Ds loved the eggs with chorizo and cheese.

Our server was lovely and brought me a chocolate cupcake to celebrate my graduation (yes I am a bit old for that, it was a post graduate in primary teaching), I didn’t add it to our reservation and neither did ds, it was nice of her though.

Stuffed after that as usual we ended up sharing a kids grilled cheese and fries later for a snack at the pool.

Back to Epcot again tonight. Chefs de France, we enjoyed it there last year as well. Ds had been dreaming about the mac and cheese there and we agreed he could order of the adult menu. Dh and I decided on the 3 courses. I had the lobster bisque, this was fantastic and dh the french onion soup, he enjoyed this and reckoned it was a bit of a meal in itself. Ds shared my lobster bisque and really enjoyed it, so much so I thought he would struggle with his main.

Dh and Ds both had the Macaroni and ds did indeed eat it all! They both liked it but dh said as good as it was it was very rich.

I had the Salmon, started well but discovered it was exceptionally pink in the middle. I eat a lot of salmon, I cook a lot of salmon and I felt it was too pink for me. I sent it back, it came back again, well cooked round the edges but still undercooked, imo, in the middle. They offered to cook me a thinner piece or to cook something else but by that point I didn’t want it. I am in no way saying it wasn’t fine, it was just undercooked for me and the server could not have been nicer. In the end they used or dining credits for the 3 courses but didn’t charge us for ds Macaroni Cheese. I didn’t ask for this but it was a nice gesture and I would still go back.

For dessert I had the profiteroles and Dh had the strawberry cheesecake, both good and ds was practically catatonic with the over consumption of his adult mac and cheese and didn’t want anything.

Next time I think I’d go back to Chefs de France pay oop and have the bisque and a pudding!
Old 22 Jul 14, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Really enjoying your report
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 14, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Thanks. Your reports are always so good!
Old 23 Jul 14, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
smedley
Imagineer

Loving the report was the Japanese teppan Edo or Tokyo dining?

Previous trips (mostly villas,) '98,'00,03,04x2,06,07,11 (first onsite stay SSR),12 villa and RCI cruise,14 OKW,15 RCI cruise, Clearwater and Int Drive. 16 West Coast DL, 17
smedley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List