dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Some good f and w eating and drinking

Never done rainforest at DTD, always do the one at AK which has never been busy
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 15, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Jnyfrk8
slightly serious Dibber

Jnyfrk8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 19

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 134
Fabulous report so far
Can't wait to read some more.
Jen xx
Jnyfrk8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 15, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Day 2: AK - Harambe Fruit Market

We had been up since 6.00am on this day so by mid morning I was starving. We had just gotten off Kilimanjaro Safaris so it seemed the perfect opportunity to grab a snack that's been sat on my "to try" list for 2 years.

Jalapeño Cheese-Stuffed Pretzel!

It was yummy. The outside had a lovely crispy crust and the inside was fluffy with a soft oozy cream cheese filling as it was served slightly warmed. The jalapeños were chopped up really small inside the filling and gave a slight hint of heat - not overly spicy so don't be put off if you don't like hot food. In fact I love spicy so a bit more of a kick would have been welcome.

This is not Andy's cup of tea at all so it was left to me and I managed about two thirds as it's very filling. A great use of a snack credit.

Credits used here - 1 SC
Credits left - 11 CS,12 TS & 11 SC

Edited at 03:10 PM.
MissFortune is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 15, 04:55 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
Really enjoying this! I made the same mistake with the burger at RFC except I asked for it medium rare. Medium well might be the way to go!
Thanks Yes I think so! It tasted pretty good as but sadly the texture just got too much after a while. Nevermind, you live and learn.

Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
Some good f and w eating and drinking

Never done rainforest at DTD, always do the one at AK which has never been busy
Thanks - yes we love the F&W festival. We have only ever had drinks at the AK DTD and yes it does seem much less busy as it's a bit more out of the way. I think going to the AK one may be the way to go in future.

Originally Posted by Jnyfrk8 View Post
Fabulous report so far
Can't wait to read some more.
Jen xx
Thanks very much

MissFortune is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 15, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Day 2: AK - Flame Tree BBQ

For lunch we stopped by Flame Tree BBQ for Andy. He had his usual:

Pork Sandwich - Layers of delicious, smoked, pulled Pork piled high in a fresh, soft Bun, served with refreshing Coleslaw. With the ddp he got a regular Sprite and a kids pre-packaged choc chip cookie for dessert.

He actually ate this whilst walking over to Yak & Yeti CS for my choice bless him, so I didn't get a chance to get a proper picture. Here is one from last year instead.

I'm told that the meat was soft and juicy and thoroughly enjoyable. The coleslaw was left as he hates it. It was a nice light lunch for a change . I had this for lunch last year too and it really is very good.

Whilst the food is great, we have always found the service very slow at Flame Tree despite us always having eaten early to avoid the rush (at 11.30/11.45). It takes a while for orders to get placed and the queues seem to never move as there is one CM serving 2 lines. They will take the order from one side and then spin round and do the other. Despite this I would definitely go back as the food is more than worth the wait - it's one of the best CS options in our opinion.

Credits used here - 1 CS
Credits left - 10 CS,12 TS & 11 SC

Edited at 05:16 PM.
Old 21 Feb 15, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Day 2: AK - Yak & Yeti local food cafes

For me, another "must try" - Yak & Yeti CS. I was very excited to try this as I love American style Chinese food.

I got Honey Chicken - Tempura Chicken, Carrots, Snap Peas, Honey Sauce, and White Rice.

This was fantastic! I was really happy to see it was served in a little tray as opposed to the old take out style orange boxes as I had read numerous times it was really hard to eat out of them. The chicken used to be piled on top of the rice so you couldn't get to it until you'd eaten all the meat.

It tasted really fresh and it was a very generous portion. The chicken was still very crispy and the honey sauce was just the right amount of sweet. The rice was fluffy and delicious - I tried not to eat it all as I didn't want to be too full for dinner but I just couldn't help it!

I grabbed a sachet of hot chilli sauce and added a dash of that which gave it a hot kick which just made it more perfect. I would 100% get this again, it was one of my favourite CS meals ever.

I was enjoying it so much I didn't even notice Andy taking a picture of me.

I got a bottle of water and a frozen lemonade for dessert included too.

I sadly only ate about half of the frozen lemonade as I wanted to get something else whilst we were in the area, which will follow next. It was amazingly refreshing though and a great pick for a red hot day. I'm interested in trying the banana pudding next time as that looks really good.

It was a very popular spot and the seating area looked rammed but if you carry on walking further back more tables are hidden at the back.

Credits used here - 1 CS
Credits left - 9 CS,12 TS & 11 SC

Edited at 03:15 PM.
Old 21 Feb 15, 06:12 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Day 2: AK - Quality Beverages & Upcountry Beverages

Quality Beverages is a little drinks/snack spot right next to the Yak & Yeti local food cafe. It also happens to be a place where you can get the Yak Attack.

I have always wanted to try a Yak Attack but I thought it was only available at the Yak & Yeti table service restaurant. Before last years trip I had read on the Disney Food Blog that you could get it here also but despite lots of looking we could never find this place and had to give up.

courtesy of DisneyFoodBlog (it was open when we went)

So when we spotted it after i'd bought my lunch and on our way to the seating area I was really pleased and knew I would leave (most of) my dessert and get this instead.

Yak Attack - Mango daiquiri, Bacardi Light Rum, and wildberry flavours.

I love mango so this was a massive hit. The berry and the mango together gave it a delicious fruity flavour and with it being frozen, it was really cooling and refreshing. We grabbed a random seat in the shade whilst I savoured it and it was nice little relaxing mid-afternoon break on a boiling hot day. I can't wait to get it again.

Total paid in cash (incl. any applicable tax) - $9.57

Andy grabbed himself a Strawberry Margarita from the nearby Upcountry Beverage Cart stand whilst I had my drink. This was good too.

courtesy of DisneyFoodBlog

Total paid in cash (incl. any applicable tax) - $9.86

Edited at 03:21 PM.
Old 21 Feb 15, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
The yak and yeti meal looks so much easier to eat in the tray.

I agree its a really nice QS option
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 15, 12:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Grapesoda
Apprentice Imagineer

Another yummy installment!

DLP Jan 2014 ~ Sante Fe
DLP Jan 2015 ~ Cheyenne
Pretrip report Here
Report in progress Here
Food Report ~ Here
Grapesoda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 15, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Day 2: Trails End buffet dinner

I was so excited to try this place after reading nothing but good reviews everywhere I looked and I'd ogled all the lovely Southern style food in the Disney Food blog pictures.

The best way to get to the restaurant, which is within Fort Wilderness Camp ground is to get the boat direct from outside Magic Kingdom which drops you off right next to Pioneer hall (where TE & Hoop de Doo are located). The resort is so massive there are about 3-4 different bus routes with internal transfers and it's just miles easier and quicker to get the boat over.

However as we were not going to be at MK for the right time during our trip to tie this in we had to find another way there. This actually turned into a massive palava and ended up with cross words and a tense start to the evening.

From SSR we got a cab over to Wilderness Lodge with a view of taking the walking trail over to Fort Wilderness which I had read about on The Dibb - it is supposedly a lovely walk and we thought it'd be a nice start to evening. However having trekked through the resort down to where the trail starts we found that it was under construction and fenced off So we had to run over to the dock instead to get the boat over (which we had just seen coming in) panicking about being late. Not the most relaxing start but we did eventually make it over to Trails End just in the nick of time.

Borrowed picture - it was much busier than this ;-)

Now I had read that it is generally a quiet/ off the beaten track place to eat but this evening it was heaving outside! There were loads of people grouped together standing outside and waiting on the porch and there was a really buzzing atmosphere. We checked in, were given a buzzer and after a 10 minute wait were seated on the downstairs level quite far away from the main buffet as it was pretty full tonight.

Right then, onto the food etc. - To drink we each had a soda that is included on the DDP and also had a cocktail each as well. Mine was the very pretty looking Piña Colava.

Andy went for the Captains Mai Tai

Mine was amazing - just like a normal Piña colada but with a sweet berry twist. I'd been wanting to try one for ages but perhaps in hindsight here wasn't the best place to choose it as it was surprisingly quite filling. I don't regret it though and would 100% get this again (just somewhere else ). Sadly Andy's choice was so strong it was like rocket fuel, he didn't really enjoy it but tried his best to drink most of it because it was pricey. He isn't normally a spirit drinker but had really like the fruity cocktail we had from Japan EP the day before he thought this would have a similar taste - it didn't!

I didn't take any pictures of the buffet as it was too busy to really see everything properly and I didn't feel comfortable with so many people around - sorry. Here is another borrowed picture of what the inside looks like (thanks DFB)

The outside edge where people are queueing is for the savoury options - salads, brisket, ribs, chicken, potatoes. The little island in the middle is for desserts and there's also another side to the right of this that you can't see on the picture for desserts/sweets.

We joined the queue which was pretty slow moving. Most people were waiting for the hand carved brisket whilst grabbing things as they passed when the line moved up a bit. The brisket piece ran out as we were queueing and we had to wait for it to get swapped over which I think was the cause for the delay. I grabbed a lot of different stuff whilst up there and had a pretty full plate - I was trying to avoid having to queue up again and having to "trek" to the buffet (so lazy lol ).

Here was Andy's plate (Sorry it was quite dark inside)

Fried chicken, Brisket, baked potato with cheese.

Here was mine

Coleslaw, potato salad, mixed salad, fried chicken, mashed potatoes & gravy and brisket. I think there was a rib in there somewhere too.

The food was all very tasty, especially the fried chicken, which was juicy and crunchy. The potato salad was really delicious. We were a little disappointed with the brisket though which looked much better than it tasted it was like a slice of dry roast beef. Although we both agreed it was probably because we were some of the first few people to get a slice from the newly cooked joint so it was likely we got a drier outside piece. The baked potato station was great too with loads of choices of topping such as cheese, sour cream, pulled pork etc.

Both pretty full already we moved onto dessert next. Andy waited at the table and sent me off to pick a selection. I forgot to take pictures tsk tsk! I grabbed Andy a small piece of chocolate cake which he happily ate and I had a bit of amazing bread pudding with some sort of cinnamon icing topping - it was warm and just lovely! I did also cheekily pinch a pecan bar which I took back in my bag to eat in bed later I do have a picture of this.

Not the best, but a picture nonetheless. This was yummy too, gooey and chewy.

All in all an enjoyable meal. We're not in a massive rush to re-visit next trip but might consider it in future however we would definitely get the boat from MK though and choose an earlier ADR time to avoid the crowd.

Credits used here - 2 TS
Credits left - 9 CS,10 TS & 11 SC

Edited at 10:41 PM.