Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 25 Oct 15, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
LauraC
Apprentice Imagineer

Really enjoying your report, thanks for sharing.
Old 27 Oct 15, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
stan_the_man
Imagineer

Oct 2

Circus McGurkus (lunch)

Just a quick one here, we had a second day at US today but we also had a 4pm ADR at Epcot so needed something quick and early on as well so we werent' stuffed come dinner time.

We started today in IOA and it was just before 11am when we got round to Suess Landing. After riding the Trolley Ride through the restaurant and seeing it had just opened, we headed in there to eat.

I thought we would share a pizza between us, but then I got greedy and ordered one each I also got what I think they called a 'Brookie' - basically a brownie with a cookie baked in it on top! Pretty cheap as well for 2 massive slices (one price is for 2 slices).

The pizza was above average for a theme park, I think we both left some of the crust so as not to stuff us out too much! But it was tasty anyway. The brookie was the standout for me, why have I never thought of making these before?!?! I ate both of them as they weren't safe for DW

We have eaten in here before and there are always these little birds hanging around, it is so cute!

(they were also fond of the pizza...)

Up next, Tutto Italia for dinner...

Allergy-Friendly Food Report 2015
stan_the_man is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 15, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
stan_the_man
Imagineer

Oct 2

Tutto Italia (dinner)

Tonights ADR was for 4pm which was the opening time of Tutto Italia for dinner. When we checked in about 10 mins to, there were quite a few families waiting as well so it was packed in the foyer area. For some reason Tutto never seem to issue buzzers, which may have contributed to this.

Anyway, we were soon called in and were sat near the windows that look to the outside. I'm not a huge fan of their 2 top tables here as they are quite small due to how much stuff they bring out compared to other places, but it wasn't a huge problem once the menus and bread service were cleared before the entrees.

This was the first time in Disney where we weren't offered an allergy menu for DW (the other time was at Via Napoli). Instead, the manager comes to see you, asks what you are thinking of having, and then lets you know if it is safe or not.

Onto the aforementioned bread service, which here was 2 different focaccias, one with some herbs (rosemary I believe) and the other with some red chilli. There was also a pack of breadsticks, and a seperate plate of olives and a bowl of olive oil.

Quite tasty, I love any type of bread with olive oil so this was a winner.

Onto entrees... I normally go for some pasta-based dish here, but fancied something different, so went for Polenta Valsugana - which is traditional Northern Italian creamy polenta served with braised short ribs, meatballs, and sweet sausage. DW went for Lasagna alla Bolognese - traditional preparation with Emilia Romagna with beef ragu, bechamel, Parmesan.

Now mine might not be much to look at, but it was amazing! The different meats were all so tasty in their own different ways. The short ribs fell off the bone, the meatballs were packed full of herbs and flavour, and the sausage had a nice sweet taste. They were all cooked in a meat ragu sauce, and the polenta on the side was a tasty addition (polenta can be quite boring if not cooked right).

DW informed me her lasagne was very nice too, she often goes for a lasagne in Italian restaurants as they are usually more authentic compared to when you do them at home with a Dolmio stir in!

For desserts, I went for Torta di Ricotta which is Lemon Ricotta cheesecake and marinated strawberries. DW was able to choose Cannoli - Crisp pastry filled with sweet Ricotta, chocolate and candied orange.

I'm not sure why I went for this, I think it was because it was the most interesting thing on the menu (aside from a cake which had hazelnuts, which is the thing DW is 2nd most allergic too so I stayed away from that). Despite this, it was really nice! The strawberries were marinated in what I can only assume was more strawberry juice as they were tastier than any I've had in the UK! The cheesecake itself was quite refreshing.

DW has had the cannoli before (it has been a staple on their menu for a while I think) and it hasn't changed much in the years! The shell is nice and crisp (so you know they are made fresh) and the ricotta filling is sweet, with the orange and chocolate adding a little twist to it.

Overall an enjoyable meal, the service here is really top notch, it seems you end up getting 2 or 3 people looking after you which is nice!

Up next, Yak and Yeti for lunch...

stan_the_man is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 15, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
stan_the_man
Imagineer

Oct 3

Yak and Yeti CS (lunch)

Back to AK today, so back to Yak and Yeti to have another tasty CS meal here!

As most of this is the same as our previous trip here, see that post for more info.

After sampling DWs Honey Chicken last time, I knew what I was going to have this time! So we ended up both ordering the Honey Chicken. Desserts were the same as what we had last time - the Pineapple Coconut Cake and a Frozen Lemonade.

This is where it got a bit wierd(ish). As I also fancied a Pork Egg Roll as a side, I ordered our usual DDP choices (entree, dessert and drink) then asked for the pork egg roll as well. At this stage, after she rang it up, I asked if I could use 2 QS credits for the meals, and use a snack credit for the egg roll (since it is a DDP snack option). It transpired though that for some reason they can't put it through the till like this all in one transaction, you have to order the snack seperately

Also, the cashier couldn't cancel the order to put it through again, and had to radio for a manager to come sort it out... cue me looking embarrassed as we were holding up the queue line. As we were waiting for a manager, I was trying to talk to the cashier to ask why it couldn't be done etc and if it was easier I'd just pay for the side with cash (which also wasn't an option...) when she suddenly said "you can have the egg roll as a side on your QS meal"

This really surprised me as I didn't know you could just ask for an extra side and it was included with your QS meal. Has anyone else had this before? So after all this she just got me to swipe it through as 2 QS credits and cancelled the manager. The bonus was that our food had already been prepared while we were waiting for the manager so we got it straight away!

Onto a quick food pic for those who haven't seen it before

Pretty much the same as last time, plus I nabbed most of DWs as well as she didn't fancy it all , this is definitely my favourite entree choice here now.

Dinner tonight is a Jiko...

Old 27 Oct 15, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
stan_the_man
Imagineer

Oct 3

Jiko (dinner)

Off to AKL tonight for one of my favourite signatures, unfortunately the experience wasn't quite what we expected, but the food was still amazing!

We were seated in the smaller dining room to the right (kind of behind where the bar is). This is a first for us, and I think compounded our problem. Now, I understand there are plenty of children in Disney, however, we don't want kids, and I'm not a fan of babies and children screaming, especially in quiet situations, and there were 2 tables of this in the dining room, one being directly behind my head. There was even one couple who came in after we did, sat and read the menu, then walked out to ask for another table when the noise started. Even our server kept having to stop telling us about the menu as he couldn't be heard over the noise.

Anyway, like I said, I understand Disney is full of kids, a majority are well behaved, and they have to eat somewhere, but it was the first time I've experienced this at a signature (could just be because it seemed so many people were on the DDP this year so the restuarants were fuller with a variety of people).

As we were already into our appetisers we didn't ask to move, but if I hadn't been on the DDP and was paying over $100 for a meal, I would have probably moved as well, since for me the atmosphere at a signature also contributes to the overall experience.

Noise aside, the rest of the experience was fine!

So, moan over, and onto the bread service. Jiko make their bread in house, and they were a crusty malt/brown roll served with butter. In previous years this butter usually has a mild curry powder mixed in, but it was just plain this time.

Yummy as always! Not sure why there were only 3 rolls, the odd one out always causes arguments as to who gets it!

Being a signature we ordered appetisers. I had the Sweet Maize Soup with Blue Crab, Spiced and Roasted Corn, Dhania Biscuit, Harissa Crème Fraîche. DW had Crispy Duck Bobotie Roll with Cucumber Raita and Green Mango Atjar.

My soup was one of the best things I have ever had (and I have been to V&As before). The way they serve it is they bring out the bowl without the soup in it - but in the bowl is a swipe of harissa creme fraiche, the dhania (indian coriander) biscuit in the bottom, and the crab on top of this. Then the server pours over the maize soup on top of it all (you can just about see the creme fraiche on the side of the bowl).

The taste of this was amazing, I love sweetcorn anyway, but the mixture of roasted and normal corn was so intense. The harissa spice was just enough to be noticeable, and the crab, although light in taste, came through brilliantly. I wish I didn't have to finish it! Although it is pricey at $12 for a soup, it was worth it.

I had a bite of DWs bobotie roll and they were also quite tasty, the duck was cooked brilliantly, with the cucumber and mango complimenting it perfectly.

For entrees, I had Nigerian-spiced Pork Shank with Braised Greens, Ancient Grain Risotto, and Apple Butter. DW had Botswana-style Seswaa Beef Short Rib with Cassava-Potato Purée, Sambal, and Mushrooms.

My pork shank must have been cooked slowly for a long while, as I could pull the bone out without even holding the meat! The spicing was subtle and the risotto, whilst not a traditional risotto, went really well with it. The apple butter on top gave a nice traditional taste with a twist.

DW found her short ribs also really tasty, but the sambal was quite spicy for her, however she said it didn't detract from the meal. The sides were unusual (cassava is brazilian arrowroot a.k.a yams and is more creamier than regular potato) but nice.

After all this we just about had room for dessert. I went for Granadilla Milk Tert with Passion Fruit, Orange Cardamom Custard, Coconut Cremeux and Bubble Sugar. DW had Malva Pudding with Amarula Creme, Wild Amarena Cherries, Toasted Meringue and Brandied Cherry Ice Cream.

Probably the most unusual looking dessert I had all trip! It was quite a mixture of flavours, you can't really go wrong with coconut and passion fruit! The tart (or 'tert') had a nice buttery biscuit shell and was filled with a milky custard and passionfruit filling. The layer on top was the orange cardamom (aka cardamon) custard.

I didn't get to sample any of DWs dessert as she was enjoying it too much! But malva pudding is essentially sponge pudding with apricot jam in it. It had toasted meringue on top, and then on top of that there was Amarula creme, and then brandied cherry ice cream on top of it all! It also had a fancy chocolate ring and cherries on the side. On paper, it sounds yum!

So, noise aside, the meal tonight was really good. Jiko is my 2nd favourite signature so it won't stop me going again.

Tomorrows meal, Cosmic Rays (lunch)...

Old 27 Oct 15, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stan_the_man View Post
I looked at the sunset time for the day we were going (7:20pm) so I got the ADR for 6:50pm. I would recommend trying to get earlier though as they start to get the animals in just before sunset, so as we got to the resort about 6:30 we got to see a few outside, but while we were eating you could see them going in.

Thanks - that is a great tip. I have just moved my ADR forward an hour so hopefully still see some animals out
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 15, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Jiko looks good, we are staying at AKL next year but it's not on my list - might need to rethink that even though I will have to take a child with me . Only kidding, ds can be trusted to behave otherwise he wouldn't be setting foot in a signature.
Old 28 Oct 15, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Tor32
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
Jiko looks good, we are staying at AKL next year but it's not on my list - might need to rethink that even though I will have to take a child with me . Only kidding, ds can be trusted to behave otherwise he wouldn't be setting foot in a signature.
Same here although the boys have been given the option of trying Simba's Club if they want to after they saw what goes on there!
Tor32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Oct 15, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
nicki2014
slightly serious Dibber

jiko is my favourite- the bread service and dips appetiser is amazing! malva pudding is gorgeous I had it last year and this year and noticed they have made the portion size bigger this time

COMPLETE-DLP 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, DLR, CA- 2007, WDW- offsite 2008, offsite 2009, SSR 2010, SSR 2012, SSR/ GF/ HRH 2014, SSR 2015, MA/ NYC/ NJ- 2015
nicki2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 15, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
stan_the_man
Imagineer

Oct 4

Cosmic Rays (lunch)

Quick one today, we spent the morning at MK but it was constantly drizzling, so after a few rides we decided to grab lunch and head back to the resort.

Cosmic Rays is one of our fav CS places so we went there again. I dunno why but we love watching Sonny Eclipse! His audio loop is about 25 mins long so we usually manage to hear it all.

DW fancied chicken nuggets, so I also decided to get something different. I noticed on the menu they had a herb chicken sandwich served with cheese and bacon, which sounded different from the usual bacon cheeseburger option we normally go for!

(no pictures of the chicken nuggets, but I guess you know what those look like!)

You can see how much chicken you get in this, it is literally spilling out of the bun! It was really tasty as well, the herbs adding a nice flavour to it.

For dessert, I got the mango gelato again, but as I knew DW couldn't have this due to her allergy, I asked the server if she could substitute the greek yoghurt (which is listed as a side on the menu), luckily this was ok which was good for DW. It seems that a lot of the CS places are ok with swapping in sides/desserts, something we didn't really find out until later on in the holiday.

After this we headed back to the resort to relax and wait out the rain until our dinner at Yachtsman Steakhouse, which is coming up next...