Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 22 Sep 16, 03:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisaf23
Proud to wear my Ears

:) The wedding is over now let's eat all the food! NYC & Orlando food report! Live-ish!

Hi everyone

I am currently in New York on our honeymoon & flying to Orlando on Friday and since I have been taking photos of all the food We have been eating I thought I would start a little food report will just be trying to upload whenever I can.

So first let me introduce myself, I am Lisa & my new husband is Paul and we got married on Saturday 17th September on a beautiful day in Scotland. It was the most amazing day!

We flew out on Monday morning from Glasgow to JFK via Heathrow & we are currently in New York for 4 nights before flying to Orlando and spending 3 nights at the Hard Rock Hotel & then 9 nights at Disney's Beach Club with the DDP.

So let's crack on with it then.

Travel Day

Giraffe - Heathrow Terminal 5

Monday morning we got breakfast at Giraffe in Heathrow. I was feeling really nervous before the flight so wanted something quite light so I got Greek yogurt with muesli, fruit, nuts & honey.

This was really good and just what I was looking for.

Paul went with scrambled eggs on toast with a side of bacon.

He said this was also lovely and he really enjoyed it.

BA Plane Food

The choices we were given for lunch was either lasagne or a chicken curry. We both went for the chicken curry.

Now I normally hate plane food but this was hands down the best meal I have ever had on a plane. It was a mild creamy nut sauce and it was so good, I was pleasantly surprised. The little chocolate pot was also amazing and I could defo have ate another one of them.

This was the only food we got served on the plane apart from a little pack of biscuits 1 hour before landing. I just assumed we would get some sandwiches for afternoon tea like on the Florida flights but we didn't so we were pretty hungry by the time we landed.

Shake Shack

After the most horrendous 90 minute journey from JFK into Manhattan we were shattered, hungry and just wanted something quick to eat. We had noticed shake shack down the street from the hotel when we passed in the taxi so walked down to get a takeaway and brought it back to the hotel to eat it.

I had heard so many good things about shake shack so was excited to try it and it did not disappoint. I got a hamburger with lettuce, tomato and onions, Paul got a plain cheeseburger and we got 2 portions of the fries. It was all amazing, the burger was cooked perfectly and the chips were to die for, crinkle cut and so crispy. Really enjoyed this and would defo go back again.

So that's it for our travel day. Day 2 will be coming up shortly

Sept 2012 - IDrive & Hard Rock Hotel
Sept 2014 - Idrive, Hard Rock Hotel & SSR
Sept 2016 - HONEYMOON - New York, Hard Rock Hotel & Beach Club
Sept 2017 - Art of Animation

Edited at 10:15 PM.
Lisaf23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 16, 07:22 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Congratulations on your wedding - you look lovely.
Great start to the food report!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 16, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
twinkleshmoo
Very Serious Dibber

Congratulations! Looking forwad to reading more
Old 22 Sep 16, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
**Tracey**
Apprentice Imagineer

**Tracey**'s Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Congratulations. I love food reports and cant wait to read more.
**Tracey** is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 16, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
ally1966
Imagineer

Mobile

Congratulations. Beautiful wedding photo. Looking forward to the rest of your food report.
Old 22 Sep 16, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post

Congratulations, and great start. Had my first shake shack in New York last year too, did you try D Luxe burger at Disney Springs as I thought their burgers were as good if not better.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 16, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
jsl0801
Very Serious Dibber

congratulations - your dress is beautiful.

We are going to New York in 20 days!
Old 22 Sep 16, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisaf23
Proud to wear my Ears

Day 1

Times Square Diner

This diner was across the street from the hotel and when we checked in we were told if we showed our room key we would get a 10% discount so we went here for our breakfast. There was only one way to start our first day in America & that was to get pancakes

Paul got his with Canadian bacon & I got mine with fruit. These were really good, so light & fluffy. You got 3 massive pancakes so I think I only managed 2 before I had to give up.

Bagel place in Brooklyn

So after a busy morning in lower Manhattan we got the subway over to Brooklyn as we were going to walk the bridge back. We were going to get lunch when we got back to Manhattan but we were starving so we decided to look for somewhere to eat in Brooklyn.

We found a bagel place (can't remember the name sorry) & since we both love bagels back home we decided we had to try a proper NY bagel. Paul got a sesame bagel with roast beef & cheese & I got a plain BLT bagel. We got some crisps to share also.

The bagels were really good! Pauls had so much roast beef and mine was packed with lots of crispy bacon, yummy.

Just before we got to the steps for the bridge we saw a little frozen yogurt van so I decided to get one for the walk over. I got raspberry froyo with some strawberries on the top.

Bubba Gumps Times Square

So this is not food related but we spent the evening watching the sunset from the top of the Rockefeller Centre and I would urge anyone going to NYC to do this. The views over the Empire State Building were incredible.

By the time we got back down we were starving and wanted food quickly. We ended in Times Square and spotted our favourite restaurant from Orlando - Bubba Gumps so decided to head here for dinner. We expected to have to wait for a table but were seated after a few minutes.

I really wanted a cocktail but realised I had forgot ID so I decided to go for a non alcoholic strawberry & mango cooler. This was served in a light up glass which I could take home. This was really good and Paul was so jealous as he had just got a Diet Coke.

We decided to get popcorn shrimp to share for starter.

We had been waiting 2 years to go back to Bubba Gumps & the shrimp was as good as we remembered.

For mains Paul got the same as he always get, the coconut shrimp & I decided to try something different and get the shrimp po boy.

As always we both really enjoyed our meals, we have never had bad food at Bubba Gumps. The portions were huge and my stomach was still not used to the American portion sizes so I was defeated.

We didn't get dessert as we were stuffed but after walking about Times Square for a bit I was started to fancy something sweet. We found Ben & Jerrys and both got a small tub.

I forgot to get a picture of these but I got triple caramel chunk & Paul got chocolate chip cookie dough. We enjoyed these while walking back to our hotel. Perfect end to a great first day in New York.

Edited at 06:41 PM.
Lisaf23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 16, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
ally1966
Imagineer

Mobile

Another great day. Your sunset picture from the TotR is exactly what I was hoping to get. Unfortunately we went up too early, it was a cloudy evening and everyone got fed up waiting. There's nothing else for it I'll just have to return!
Old 22 Sep 16, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisaf23
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by ally1966 View Post
Another great day. Your sunset picture from the TotR is exactly what I was hoping to get. Unfortunately we went up too early, it was a cloudy evening and everyone got fed up waiting. There's nothing else for it I'll just have to return!
We ended up going up too early too but i was determined to get a good shot so we found a spot and stood around for over an hour but we got some amazing pictures so it was all worth it