Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 25 Jun 17, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Formula 1 Trip

I'm not sure whether to post here or in the sport section.

My husband has a special birthday next year and would love to go to a Formula 1 race as part of a minibreak. Looking at the 2018 schedule, it would either have to be Hungary, Barcelona, or Belgium. Although all four of us would go on the minibreak, I think only my husband and youngest daughter would go the race.

Does anyone have any advice on how to arrange this? Is it best to plan it DIY and then get the tickets separately? Or does anyone have any recommendations for companies that organise it as a package?

Thanks.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 17, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Lynne123
Proud to wear my Ears

Hi I did it for my husband a few years ago . We went to Monaco race, I planned it myself. Tickets I think we're from goo tickets? If I remember correctly! Booked flights and hotel separately. Think you can do it all planned through a company but I didn't check any.
Old 26 Jun 17, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
DFussy
Very Serious Dibber

I used to go racing a lot around 15 yrs or so ago, and have been to both Barcelona and Spa - Belguim. Sometimes I diy'd, but also did trips with Page & Moy- not sure if they are still going - im sure there is more than one co doing these trips.

Barcelona I have diy'd, stayed for a week on the coast with train to Barcelona and then out near circuit and a walk from station to circuit. Spa - I think to diy you would probably have to drive, as its not too close to Brussels where we stayed, but could be wrong and it might be poss to public transport.

Brussels and Barcelona are both nice cities for those not going to the race. Spa is quite notorious with the weather though - in the forest mountains with its own microclimate so can quite often be a wet race.

Im sure Hungary is great too, but ive not been so cant help with that one. Have a great time
DFussy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jun 17, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
ashc13
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Hi

I'm based in Dublin. We've done a number of formula one trips both independently and through organised tour.

Done Spa diy. We stayed in Aachen (Germany) and took the train to the station in Belgium. From there, there were shuttle buses running. Grandstand tickets are bit pricier than some of the tracks. Accommodation in Aachen was cheap. Spa pretty much in the middle of the countryside, not much accommodation around track. We fly to Dusseldorf. Took train to Aachen. There are great value train tickets in Germany

Did Barcelona race as an organised day trip. Many people do it DIY either staying in the city or on the coast.

Friends of mine did Hungary. It's easy to do. Check which airlines fly from your nearest airport to Budapest. Track is only a short distance outside the city. As far as I remember buses run to the track from city centre.

Tickets can be purchased from the individual tracks themselves or they are a number of companies selling them online

Bring up the individual tracks, there is details about getting to the track and ticket prices and other usual info

Our fave is Monza - Italy. Usually the race the week after Spa!
ashc13 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 17, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

Thanks for the info all.

I'll do a bit of research and decide on which one to go to. I was thinking of a package as I wasn't sure how easy it would be to get the tickets and get to the actual tracks but it sounds like doing it DIY is possible.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 17, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Chilly80
Imagineer

Mobile

We used Page and Moy as mentioned above
Golden Triangle Trip Report
Chilly80 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List