Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Oct 18, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
kenzzi
Excited about Disney

Visa help

ok guys i need some info on how to get a visa please , a friends son has made mistakes in the past and been in prison(i don't know what for), he knows that he needs to apply for a visa for a planned trip to America next march, can you explain to me exactly what he needs to do and how much it will cost roughly so i can pass this on to him.

Hes been looking but its all to much for him and hes getting confused.

I have told him that it takes months to apply and get a visa so he might not be able to go in march.

I have also read on here somewhere that there are 2 locations that you can go to to get the visa and that 1 is quicker that the other but i've forgotten where the other one to London is.

Also are there any convictions that defiantly will stop you being allowed entry to America?

I would be grateful for any information or phone numbers he could call and get some info so i can pass this on.
kenzzi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 18, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
nicki2014
slightly serious Dibber

it is a B2 visa he will need- I can't help on the criminal side as my fiancé only needs one as he doesn't have a British passport but the process is you fill a DS160 form in online with the US embassy ($160), apply for an ACRO certificate with the police (£45) which will detail all criminal history (I believe there are extra sections to complete on the DS160 if you have committed a crime too) and then make an appointment in either London or Belfast at the US embassy- wait time is usually 1-3 weeks. The appointments can take all morning but my fiancé was lucky as he was seen first- he didn't get asked much and they didn't ask to see any documents and he got his passport and visa back within two weeks but as mentioned his was straight forward as he has no criminal record. I think it will all depend on what he has done and the person on the day- take as much evidence as possible that he is of good character with ties to this country (stable job, house etc). If he gets denied a visa I believe they can refer you for a waiver to still be able to go to America but this can take 6 months plus

COMPLETE-DLP 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, DLR, CA- 2007, WDW- offsite 2008, offsite 2009, SSR 2010, SSR 2012, SSR/ GF/ HRH 2014, SSR 2015, MA/ NYC/ NJ- 2015
nicki2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 18, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Reunion
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
uk.usembassy.gov/visas/tourism-visitor/

Should give you the information needed - I just had to help a staff member apply for one. The whole process took a few weeks (not months) but that is just my experience.
I also travel on a B2 visa due to work travel in 'restricted' areas. I had my interview at the US Embassy in London - the application process is done online and they will tell you what documentation needs to be taken with you to the interview.
Reunion is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 18, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
ally1966
Imagineer

Mobile

The first thing that he will need is an ACRO certificate detailing his convictions. This costs £45.

He also needs to book an appointment at the USA embassy for his visa interview ASAP. He can do this online, it is a B2 visa that he needs. He will have to complete a form DS-160. Both this and the application for the ACRO require passport style photos to be submitted. The fee for the visa is $160 which is non refundable.

When he goes for his interview he must take with him the ACRO certificate, the confirmation email from his DS-160 application, the receipt for payment of the fee and his appointment letter as well as his current passport and as much documentary evidence as he can provide to prove his ties to the UK.

The other embassy where people have often found its quicker to get appointments is in Belfast.

If he is lucky, and his crimes aren’t considered too serious they might give him a decision on the day. If this is the case, they will keep his passport and he should have it back complete with visa within a few days. However, if not, they will refer the case to Homeland Security and this is what takes so long - if this happens then unfortunately he will be very lucky to have it sorted by March.
Old 25 Oct 18, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
kenzzi
Excited about Disney

Thank you for your quick response, i will pass this all on to him, then he can get the process in motion.

I did say to them that i personally don't think it will be done by March, and they said that its already paid for

I have advised to try and move the date back so they don't lose all their money.
kenzzi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 18, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
hols2florida
Very Serious Dibber

I used to work for a company who assisted with visa applications for Australia. As well as the police report & evidence to prove ties to the UK, we also used to ask for a personal statement. This is basically explaining the offence in their own words.

The fact that a flight has been booked & paid for won’t come into it unfortunately. Nobody is guaranteed a visa, which is why the advice is usually not to confirm travel arrangements until you have a visa. I have also worked on a case where a customer had been previously denied entry to the US after travelling (was sent straight back home). This was due to not declaring old offences which no longer showed on their police certificate. Honesty really is the best policy.

Edited at 09:46 PM.
hols2florida is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 18, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

If he is referred for a "Waiver of Ineligiblity", they are currently taking 14 months not 6. What actually shows on his record including the number of charges and the actual sentance will be very important. As you mentioned prison it doesn't sound too good for not needing a waiver but no one can advise without details.
Old 25 Oct 18, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Connies Mummy
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Hubby has had to go through this process this year. We started the process at the beginning of March by applying the earliest appointment he could get for his embassy interview was at the beginning of April. This got him a recommendation for the waiver of ineligibility from the embassy, then his case was put through to the department of home land security for approval, he was told it would be six months to hear anything. In August he had an email from the dhs asking for a sworn statement, a personal statement of rehabilitation and letters of reference from any places of work or voluntary work, serious hoop jumping. The middle of September and he finally received the email with approval for a visa which he duly sent off, two weeks later and it arrived back with a visa valid for one year. So from start to finish it took exactly 6 months. So I think your friends son is unlikely to get a visa by March, and of course a visa for someone with a prison record isn’t guaranteed.
Connies Mummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 18, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Connies Mummy
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Also use this website it has excellent information.

Www.unlock.uk
Connies Mummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 18, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

If he isn't approved he won't be able to claim the money back from his insurance as it's his responsibility to ensure he has the appropriate documentation to travel to USA.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List