Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Dec 18, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
skinnybaby
Apprentice Imagineer

Waiting time for a Visa

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience in getting a Visa for the USA?
My partner needs one to travel there and I asked in TUI when we booked our Cyprus holiday and they said they think there is a 6 to 9 month waiting list from application!

So he has to apply online and then wait possibly up to 9 months for the appointment to go to the embassy.

We're planning our Florida trip for Oct/Nov next year so basically 10 months away

Just wondering if anyone else knows how long the wait is. Im worried its cutting it a bit fine, and what if he doesn't get accepted? (no reasons he wouldn't be but you never know)

Thanks
skinnybaby is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 18, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
ally1966
Imagineer

Mobile

The 6 to 9 month wait isn’t for the appointment at the embassy, you can usually get an appointment within a few weeks. However, if the embassy don’t grant the visa there and then and refer it to homeland security for a waiver of ineligibility it can take over 6 months to get a decision. You still have plenty of time but he needs to start getting his paperwork together and make an appointment ASAP.
Old 19 Dec 18, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post

No, as above it could be 6-9 months if they need a waiver of ineligibility, for example if they have previously overstayed, been denied entry or have a criminal record.

If they just need a visa because they are from somewhere not eligible for esta, then it would be a few weeks although the recommendation is to apply at least 60 days in advance.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 18, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
skinnybaby
Apprentice Imagineer

Thankyou!

The only reason is because he is Polish. No criminal record and hasn't travelled there before so no overstays. Fingers crossed its pretty straight forward.
skinnybaby is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 18, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post
nicki2014
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by skinnybaby View Post
Thankyou!

The only reason is because he is Polish. No criminal record and hasn't travelled there before so no overstays. Fingers crossed its pretty straight forward.
my fiancé got one for the same reason in January this year- it takes a couple of weeks to get an appointment- we applied for a police certificate to prove he had no criminal record but I don't think you actually need this.
On the day he started queuing 30 mins before and was one of the first to be seen (try and get first appointment slot of the day- 8AM I believe), they asked how long he had lived in the UK and reason for his trip, they approved it there and then and took his passport off him to get the visa printed in- he got the passport with the visa in back within a week (appointment was Monday and he got a text on Wednesday to say it was ready for dispatch, delivered Thursday)
Maybe we were lucky as it was straight after xmas but it was super quick

COMPLETE-DLP 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, DLR, CA- 2007, WDW- offsite 2008, offsite 2009, SSR 2010, SSR 2012, SSR/ GF/ HRH 2014, SSR 2015, MA/ NYC/ NJ- 2015
nicki2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Dec 18, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
skinnybaby
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for your replies everyone,

He's going to do it today or over the weekend. Fingers crossed there are no problems with it. Got lots to sort out but without that we're going nowhere!
Old 23 Dec 18, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Connies Mummy
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
My hubby needed a waiver of ineligibility to get his visa. He got an interview within 2 weeks from applying (he took the first available) then once he had the interview it was another 5 and a half months before he got the email from dhls to say he could send for his visa. That took one week so all done and dusted within 6 months start to finish this year.
Connies Mummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 18, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
CookieMonster54
Excited about Disney

If it’s only because of his nationality then it should be quicker because it’s impossible for him to get an esta.
CookieMonster54 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 18, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
skinnybaby
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by CookieMonster54 View Post
If it’s only because of his nationality then it should be quicker because it’s impossible for him to get an esta.
Yep, its simply just because he's Polish. He's got an interview soon, hopefully there are no problems. i'll be tearing my hair out if we've got to wait 6 months! im already planning

Im going to travel to London with him for the interview and im aware i cant go in with him, but do they have a waiting area at all where i could sit and wait while he goes in?
Old 31 Dec 18, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
skinnybaby
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Connies Mummy View Post
My hubby needed a waiver of ineligibility to get his visa. He got an interview within 2 weeks from applying (he took the first available) then once he had the interview it was another 5 and a half months before he got the email from dhls to say he could send for his visa. That took one week so all done and dusted within 6 months start to finish this year.
Hi, can i ask what the problem was please?