Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Dec 19, 12:46 AM  
Link to this Post
hellin family
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile Finger nail psoriasis help!

Hoping for advice- I will go to a doctor but will be lucky to get there before Christmas so would like advice. I have a build up of chalky substance under some fingernails and some discolouration- not too bad at present. Through the power of google it sounds like psoriasis not a fungal infection. Can anyone recommend a cream or medicine to buy in boots until I can get to doctors? Just to stop it getting worse. I have no pain or discomfort. Thanks all

Wendy, Jake and Lillie x

Dec 2005 New York and Florida honeymoon, Grand Reserve
Dec 2006 Anniversary Trip, Grand Reserve, Davenport
Dec 2010 Jake's first trip, Glenbrook
Jan 2011 Lillie's first trip, Windsor Palms
Feb 2013 Jake and Lillie's Grand Adventures, Florida Pines
Oct 2014 Disneys All Stars Music Resort
hellin family is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 19, 12:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

See if you can get an appointment at a podiatrist to confirm it you may need to pay
They will advise what's best or give you a referral letter for your local
Team Never ever trust DR Google things can be atipical ie looks like on paper but in reality is most certainly not Dr Google diagnosis
With consequences bad and good
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 19, 12:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Dougie
Imagineer

Dougie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Bizarre question but is your nail coming away from the skin ? Attached to the skin further down the nail ? I have had this for years, just be careful not to try and clear the chalky substance out too much ( like I did). If your nail breaks, it breaks really low down because it's not attached. Doesn't hurt but a nuisance. The stuff I was given , can't remember the name was expensive ( unless you get free prescriptions) and useless.

Mine stopped happening once I started kids farm cream on my normal psoriasis. No idea why but they are completely normal now.
Dougie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 19, 07:09 AM  
Link to this Post
hellin family
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
Bizarre question but is your nail coming away from the skin ? Attached to the skin further down the nail ? I have had this for years, just be careful not to try and clear the chalky substance out too much ( like I did). If your nail breaks, it breaks really low down because it's not attached. Doesn't hurt but a nuisance. The stuff I was given , can't remember the name was expensive ( unless you get free prescriptions) and useless.

Mine stopped happening once I started kids farm cream on my normal psoriasis. No idea why but they are completely normal now.
Hi thanks for the reply - it does sound like this, nail lifting slightly at tip due to the chalky stuff. I don't have psoriasis anywhere else - what's kids farm cream? thanks so much

Wendy, Jake and Lillie x

hellin family is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 19, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Dougie
Imagineer

Dougie's Reviews
Mobile

Hi, sorry, it's called Childs farm baby moisturiser. It's in a white and light green bottle ( with a duck and teddy bear picture on the front) . I have found it works wonders on my normal psoriasis but has also , without me first realising, that it has stopped the chalky stuff under my fingernails.
Dougie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 19, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
hellin family
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
Hi, sorry, it's called Childs farm baby moisturiser. It's in a white and light green bottle ( with a duck and teddy bear picture on the front) . I have found it works wonders on my normal psoriasis but has also , without me first realising, that it has stopped the chalky stuff under my fingernails.
Thanks so much - worth a go until I can get to the Dr.

Much appreciated

Wendy, Jake and Lillie x

Old 14 Dec 19, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
sw16
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

You could ask at the pharmacy. They are qualified to look at certain things and the worst they could do is tell you to visit the doctor
Old 14 Dec 19, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
MEZZA
Imagineer

MEZZA's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by hellin family View Post
Hoping for advice- I will go to a doctor but will be lucky to get there before Christmas so would like advice. I have a build up of chalky substance under some fingernails and some discolouration- not too bad at present. Through the power of google it sounds like psoriasis not a fungal infection. Can anyone recommend a cream or medicine to buy in boots until I can get to doctors? Just to stop it getting worse. I have no pain or discomfort. Thanks all
Have you any pitting on your nails ? By which I means little dots - an easy way to see if it’s psoriasis - it tends to grow over several months or years - I have Psoriasis all over and on methotrexate for it so monitored very 3 months.

You really don’t need a Dr’s appointment before Christmas for this - speak to your pharmacist they can advise nail creams to start with, which is what your GP will advise you to do first anyway

MEZZA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 19, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Dougie
Imagineer

Dougie's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by MEZZA View Post
Have you any pitting on your nails ? By which I means little dots - an easy way to see if it’s psoriasis - it tends to grow over several months or years - I have Psoriasis all over and on methotrexate for it so monitored very 3 months.
Slightly Off topic but, I am the same as you (methotrexate/3 month blood tests) I didn't have the pitting, I just had lines that were slightly raised on my toenails but nothing at all on my fingernails. It fascinates me how it affects different people
Old 14 Dec 19, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
hellin family
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by MEZZA View Post

You really don’t need a Dr’s appointment before Christmas for this - speak to your pharmacist they can advise nail creams to start with, which is what your GP will advise you to do first anyway
I don't have any pitting that I can see - although the surface of my nails aren't in the best condition as I regularly have gel nails and the removal process isn't kind to nails. The white tips of my nails are so much whiter than normal, almost like I've attempted a french manicure - but not nearly as neat! Below the tips, there is some nail discoluration maybe to around 20% of nail. I think I'll go to Boots to see what they say about a cream. Just want to nip it in the bud if possible. Will get some of the Childs Farm cream too, maybe even if I clear this up with a cream from the pharmacist, it would be well to use something like Child's farm regularly to keep at bay.

On a side note - I'm desperate to put gels back on, but won't until I've shown the pharmacist my nails. And only then if they say that's okay to do - but boy do I miss them, my nails feel so different without them. Thanks all

Wendy, Jake and Lillie x