Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Feb 20, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneySarah
Apprentice Imagineer

DisneySarah's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile Yorkshire DIBBers - can you help?

Hi everyone,

My husband’s job is moving to Yorkshire in the next few months and we are completely stuck as to where to live. He will be traveling across Leeds, Bradford and Hull, so we have a wide search area, but ideally we would live to the North of those cities as we have family in the North East (Durham, Newcastle) that we would like to be within a decent drive of.

My main focus is finding good schools as we have two young children; oldest is 5 and has just started primary school, but I’m mainly thinking about secondary schools as we don’t plan on relocating again!

We are currently Northern Ireland based, although we are English originally, so having a drive around different places isn’t really an option (but of course we will make some trips over when we narrow down the search area). I’ve only ever been to Yorkshire on a quick visit to York 10 years ago! So far we have thought of the Harrogate, Wetherby and York areas as possible options, but would love recommendations - especially of good schools!

And of course: easiest airport to fly to Florida from? Manchester? #priorities 😉
Old 8 Feb 20, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
kempydee
Being a bit Goofy

kempydee's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 2
Hi,
I’m in Selby, North Yorkshire (but from Leeds and work in Leeds).
I would say in terms of your hubby needing to travel to Leeds and Hull - we are half way between the two. So my car journey commute is 40mins from home to where I work in Leeds. Its about the same the other way to Hull.

Good links to M62 / train station to both.
Also 25 miles from York too.

I have one child in Primary and one in secondary. We moved here from Leeds for the schools. Not necessarily the “best” schools but we wanted small class sizes and better opportunities this brings. My child in reception class has 12 in his class and only 80 in the whole school. My child in Yr 8 has 80 in his year and only 400 in the whole school.
Good luck with your search.

Edited- Tui fly to Florida direct from Doncaster/Sheffield airport. Otherwise its direct from Manchester or flight from Leeds/Bradford via London.

Edited at 01:52 PM. Reason: Add airport
kempydee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

We live in BD11 which is actually in Leeds. It's in the middle of Leeds (20 mins), Bradford (20 mins), Halifax and Wakefield and on junction 27 of M62 for easy access to Hull and Manchester. We have 3 high schools in easy reach which areal either good or outstanding and the primary school is good too. Any questions PM me or I'd be happy to do a mini dibb meet. 3DisneyKids lives here too (although we've yet to bump in to each other)
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

What a lovely decision to need to make! Its all a beautiful area!
I love all 3 places you mentioned and would live in any if those!
Further towards Hull, I think Beverley is lovely!
Thirsk and Wetherby are a bit further North
Cant comment on schools unfortunately!
If you want to be over the other way, Skipton is beautiful!
Keep us up to date on your search!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

We have just moved to Selby. DS moved here first and the main reasons he chose Selby were house prices which are extremely affordable, and the excellent transport links not only to Leeds, York and Hull but also to London.

Education also appears to be very good here, in particular Secondary education and Selby College is also very well regarded.

Selby has also just come 6th in the Halifax best places to live in the UK. We moved here a year ago and no regrets so far. We are flying from Manchester Airport this year with TUI and they also fly from Doncaster which we have heard very good reports of

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC

Edited at 01:31 PM.
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Mobile

All decent areas - Wetherby has no train station though so that might cause future issues x

The most magical place on earth
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
choccielover
Imagineer

Mobile

What a lovely part of the country. Leeds is an amazing city and there are lots of places around it which have great transport links and excellent schools. Whetherby and Harrogate have excellent schools but the house prices will reflect this.
choccielover is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Great shopping in Leeds 😇
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Bondy007
Imagineer

We're in Market Weighton, 20 miles from Hull, about 45mins (to an hour - traffic dependant) from Leeds. Easy access to M62 (15 mins) alternatively for Leeds it's not a bad route going to York and across the A64 straight to Leeds.
We have a 6 year old at school, there's also a secondary school here. It's fairly quiet, however it's currently expanding with quite a lot of new builds being thrown up.
Old 8 Feb 20, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
wdw-wanderer
Apprentice Imagineer

Ripon Grammar School came top of the BBC secondary schools list this week and is close to the A1.
wdw-wanderer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List