Notices

Closed Thread

Old 18 Nov 20, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I hope not to be here and in Lanzarote but if we are here if this means harder lockdown after, Iíd rather not bother. Ultimately itís one day, and people could suck it up so we can keep with a lesser regime after. I think the proposal of mixing with just one other household as per the latest suggestion and open pubs and restaurants is much more sensible.

We also need to throw everything at manufacturing and banging in those vaccines in the over 70s so vast majority stop dying. We need to be dropping all restrictions by summer.
It would probably be safer to go to a covid compliant pub/restaurant over Xmas, see family safely and help your local. I work some of Xmas day and won't be mixing afterwards. Hoping to go to my local on boxing day. I may be sitting 6ft away from people but at least the bar can cut you off & you are less likely to misbehave in someplace you don't own or live in.
aprilshack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by caj View Post
I find this really offensive to those Muslins, Hindus and Jews (and probably othtrs) who have missed festivals during lockdown. And now a Christian festival can be made an exception of. If we need a string of rules then so be it. It's a day. Weve done the rest of the year ...
Agree with you about other festivals, but lots of folk havenít abided by the rules so far hence why we are in this situation again, Iím guessing the Government think people wonít adhere over Xmas hence trying to find some middle ground 😢😢😢
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Being a bit Goofy

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
The main Christian date of the whole year is Easter. When we had, stay home, save the NHS, save lives and no church. Christians have been no better done by than anyone else. Christmas is no longer purely a Christian festival, the whole country appears to celebrate.
Googling "Is Christmas a religious holiday" gives

Christmas is celebrated on December 25 and is both a sacred religious holiday and a worldwide cultural and commercial phenomenon. For two millennia, people around the world have been observing it with traditions and practices that are both religious and secular in nature

Googling "Is Easter a religious holiday" gives

Easter is a Christian holiday that celebrates the belief in the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

So I don't think any religion has been treated better or worse, Christmas is being "specially treated" because of its commercial and family reasons not the fact a handful go to church
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I feel that we're going to be in and out of 'lockdowns' and restrictions for the foreseeable future anyway so I'd quite like to have my family around my table this Christmas.
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
LoopyLoo07
Getting Excited

Iím really hoping to book a last minute holiday to Antigua for 2nd jan so Iím really hoping they are not planning on quickly locking us down again after Xmas! But I wouldnít be surprised if that was the plan!
LoopyLoo07 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

Originally Posted by caj View Post
I find this really offensive to those Muslins, Hindus and Jews (and probably othtrs) who have missed festivals during lockdown. And now a Christian festival can be made an exception of. If we need a string of rules then so be it. It's a day. Weve done the rest of the year ...
Christians missed Easter at the start of the pandemic.
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
The thing is, there's a saying in the military: "Never give an order you know will not be obeyed." One such order might be "Do not see your family over Christmas."

I wonder if this is along those lines. If they believe that people will go ahead and meet up with family anyway, possibly this could put end-points around that time and hold some control over it.
Certainly the suggestion I heard on the radio when this was covered this morning.

"Don't see your family" - lots of people ignore it, possibly quite significantly.

"See your family within these constraints" - people (mostly) plan to keep within the guidelines.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by MrsBC View Post
I feel that we're going to be in and out of 'lockdowns' and restrictions for the foreseeable future anyway so I'd quite like to have my family around my table this Christmas.
But then are people going their own way, going back to work etc and end up mixing with other people?
aprilshack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 20, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
aprilshack
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Certainly the suggestion I heard on the radio when this was covered this morning.

"Don't see your family" - lots of people ignore it, possibly quite significantly.

"See your family within these constraints" - people (mostly) plan to keep within the guidelines.
It just seems to be a no win situation. You don't see your family its depressing and doesn't help mental health, see your family and you mix with other people and they in turn may go back to work/mix with other people and that helps spread covid.
Old 18 Nov 20, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Being a bit Goofy

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by LoopyLoo07 View Post
Iím really hoping to book a last minute holiday to Antigua for 2nd jan so Iím really hoping they are not planning on quickly locking us down again after Xmas! But I wouldnít be surprised if that was the plan!
Do you have to go on Jan 2nd? The current rules for entering Antigua are:

"The Government of Antigua and Barbuda has updated its travel advisory. All passengers arriving by air MUST have a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR (real time polymerase chain reaction) test result, (test for SARS-CoV-2) taken within seven (7) days of their flight. This includes transiting passengers. Children under 12 years of age are not required to present a COVID-19 RT-PCR Negative Test to enter the Country."

This means you would need a negative COVID Test from a private facility dated from the 27th December.

Most of these private facilities won't process tests on Bank Holidays or weekends.

So earliest you could take the test is 29th Dec, you'd need to get the sample sent, processed and result returned by 31st Dec (as it's a bank holiday after that) to make the 7 day requirement.

That feels a little close for comfort and I suspect some of the private centres will either have a backlog from the XMAS bank-hols or even shut for the period between XMAS and NY

So before you book Antigua look into test availability first to see if you can make the 2nd work
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread