Notices

Old 28 Nov 20, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
RM2016
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Iíve maybe picked this up wrong but your parents have seen your children regularly since they went back to school and accepted the risk thatís involved. The risk hasnít changed so why would you now keep them off. You have been happy enough to take that risk since September. Your kids and parents so your decision however unless Iíve misunderstood your main concern is missing Christmas Dinner which to be fair could be served on any day if isolation was required.
RM2016 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Ld1978
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by RM2016 View Post
Iíve maybe picked this up wrong but your parents have seen your children regularly since they went back to school and accepted the risk thatís involved. The risk hasnít changed so why would you now keep them off. You have been happy enough to take that risk since September. Your kids and parents so your decision however unless Iíve misunderstood your main concern is missing Christmas Dinner which to be fair could be served on any day if isolation was required.
Because I want it on Xmas day, itís important to me and my kids and not the same on another day. As I say maybe not important to some but it is to me.
Iím happy missing 5 days of school to ensure we have that important day together
Old 28 Nov 20, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell 1
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ld1978 View Post
I agree and often feel this way but after chatting to my boss he was saying itís not my decision and can I make decisions for my parents even if it makes them unhappy. Made me see it from a different side (doesnít stop me worrying though)
Iím sorry I disagree with you boss, you have to live with this not your parents. As I said I canít spend the rest of my life with the guilt. Only you can make this decision and it doesnít really matter what anyone on here says either.
Tinkerbell 1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Ld1978
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell 1 View Post
Iím sorry I disagree with you boss, you have to live with this not your parents. As I said I canít spend the rest of my life with the guilt. Only you can make this decision and it doesnít really matter what anyone on here says either.
He said I would feel bad either way which I agree (eg if something happened Iíd feel bad but equally if he didnít see the kids and something happened Iíd feel bad) he also said itís their lives so their decision not mine which is true. I canít control them
Old 28 Nov 20, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell 1
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ld1978 View Post
He said I would feel bad either way which I agree (eg if something happened Iíd feel bad but equally if he didnít see the kids and something happened Iíd feel bad) he also said itís their lives so their decision not mine which is true. I canít control them
If my dad was terminal then I would be making a different decision but he could goon years. There are no easy decisions right now, good luck whatever you decide.
Tinkerbell 1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Ld1978
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell 1 View Post
If my dad was terminal then I would be making a different decision but he could goon years. There are no easy decisions right now, good luck whatever you decide.
Thank you my dads cancer has come back and currently on targeted treatment so itís never going to go now the treatment had good prognosis of working for years so fingers crossed

Have a great Xmas
Old 28 Nov 20, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

We have thought about it. But ours our at secondary school and I don't want them to miss anymore time from school. I feel the same about taking them out for holidays, which is a similar topic. I worry that if we all did that it benefits none of the children.

Plus even if we took them out, we can't fully quarantine for two weeks as there is always a risk. That's probably the biggest thing. It's just not worth the risk. We've waited this long, we can wait a bit longer.

An option I suppose might be to buy a test nearer the time - but would probably need more than one as they can be wrong. And that would be £600 or so for four and I don't want to spend that.

Of course Christmas is important to me and our family. No one is getting younger. But on balance, I'm looking forward to a family Christmas with just us and then catching up on lost time with family when it's safer.
Princess Alison is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
5 days off school at age 7 is nothing, so if you want to keep the kids off so you can guarantee Christmas Dinner on the actual day then crack on and I hope you enjoy it. As for taking responsibility for your dads decisions, well you canít do that either however you can take responsibility for your decisions. My mum who always comes to ours for Christmas Day will be spending it at her home. I will visit with her dinner later in the day, I will sit in a chair on the outside of her back door wrapped in thick coat and blanket while my mum eats her dinner and we have a good old catch up. Weíre also doing presents via messenger in the morning so she can be virtually there when kids open them.p and she opens hers.

Not ideal but itís what I need to do to keep her safe. Not being judgmental in any way OP just what Iím doing for the day. Whatever you do have a great day, enjoy it, have a couple of sherries too many and love every minute of it ❤️
Old 28 Nov 20, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
Imagineer

Is the overriding concern about breaking Ďthe rulesí of isolation? - I personally donít think you are really any more vulnerable to your parents, as you are already seeing them and the children are going to school now - speaking from a situation where my high school age son had to isolate for a fortnight because a girl he didnít even know (so not it any of his classes) had the virus - we didnít feel he was any more likely to have caught the virus than he was sitting next to his other classmates who for all we know could be asymptomatic and have the virus at any point , as so many young children are when they catch it.

There literally must be loads of children walking around with the virus (all of our local cases of school children seem to have been found Ďby accidentí - most from tests done just because they were having dental appointments which require a test before going ahead).

I totally get the want to spend Christmas Day together (my mum has recently passed and Iíd give anything to spend that day with her) - have you spoken to your dad about it? Iím just wondering whether he would be happy to Ďriskí dinner even in an isolation situation, after all, is he really anymore at risk than he is now? Your children are in schools so are already a risk to him everyday. But like your dad,my mum chose spending time with us over us keeping away - for the short time she had left, she didnít want to miss seeing us and we all accepted that the risk was what was needed to give her some final days of happiness. Hopefully your situation isnít as imminent as ours was and you all have lots of time left together.

Iím not generally a rule breaker, but we decided as a family that my mums final time was going to be the best it could be, so tbh if she had lasted to Christmas and we were in an isolation situation, if she had decided she wanted to Ďriskí seeing us on Christmas Day, Iíd of done it - rules or not.

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your dear dad xx

Edited at 05:26 PM.
amy56 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 20, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

If youíre choosing to remove your children from school you may also be subject to a fine for doing so. Removing them from the system for personal convenience isnít a justifiable reason to any LEA.