Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 1 Nov 18, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
snail999
Trying for More Ears

snail999's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Taking child with different Surname.

My daughter is coming with us next September with her daughter aged 4. She has split with her partner, never married, however the child has the fathers surname. My daughter has a Court order that says the child shall live with her and she has residential rights. The father has her every other weekend.
What we need to know will there be any problem at customs when we get there? The court order says she can take her daughter out of the country for up to 30 days without the fathers permission. Will they still require a note from the father giving permission?
snail999 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 18, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
dragsapphire
Excited about Disney

Best to take the birth certificate to prove the relationship.

Sorry, just also found this
If a child or teenager is travelling with only one parent or guardian, a notarised consent letter from the parent/guardian who is not travelling with them is required.

Edited at 03:46 PM.
dragsapphire is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 18, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

More likely you will be asked about your relationship with the child when you arrive backin the UK. This has happened a lot at Glasgow immigration recently. Seems it's a nationwide campaign ongoing at the moment.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 18, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Rhubarb2206
Getting to know the DIBB

I'm glad I have read this. I am taking my daughter next April. She will be nearly 16. We went to France earlier in the year, and didn't have any issues at all.
I am not really on amicable terms with my ex, so was hoping not to have to ask for his permission (he rarely sees her, but thats another story!).
Do you think I will have any problems if I just take a copy of her birth certificate?
Thanks.
Rhubarb2206 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 18, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Originally Posted by Rhubarb2206 View Post
I'm glad I have read this. I am taking my daughter next April. She will be nearly 16. We went to France earlier in the year, and didn't have any issues at all.
I am not really on amicable terms with my ex, so was hoping not to have to ask for his permission (he rarely sees her, but thats another story!).
Do you think I will have any problems if I just take a copy of her birth certificate?
Thanks.
my daughter and grandson in the same position However she has a letter stating she is allowed to take him out of the country whenever she wants and she always travels with his birth certificate She cant do anything else as we do not know where he is

Edited at 05:25 PM.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 18, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
eeyoremad
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Take a copy of the court order and her bc , she doesn't need permission from the dad
eeyoremad is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 18, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...R0otbg%3D% 3D

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) strongly recommends that unless the child is accompanied by both parents, the adult have a note from the child's other parent (or, in the case of a child traveling with grandparents, uncles or aunts, sisters or brothers, friends, or in groups*, a note signed by both parents) stating "I acknowledge that my wife/husband/etc. is travelling out of the country with my son/daughter/group. He/She/They has/have my permission."
so it's not required its simply recommended
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 18, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Rhubarb2206
Getting to know the DIBB

Thank you. We have no court order or anything in place. She just lives with me and thats that. I could perhaps send him an email and ask him to give his written permission.
Strangely we had no issues going through immigration in France, we had more trouble getting Disney to issue her annual pass, as I couldn't prove my relationship to her.
I would rather have everything in place, I am a nervous flyer and don't want anything to stress me out.
Rhubarb2206 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 18, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Kirsty2tt
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I always get asked on my entry back into the UK. I now carry my kids birth certificates with me every time I fly. They often ask the kids who I am to them but I've never had any problems. I also take a letter from their dad but have never been asked for it.
Old 1 Nov 18, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Midges17
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I have now done it twice & had no problems what so ever, did have a copy of birth certificate but wasn’t needed. My son then went with his dad (who’s surname he has) a month ago & was asked what his mums name was & where I was, but he answered & no further questions were asked.