Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 May 20, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Mobile Composite decking

We are thinking of getting an area of the garden done with composite decking. Has anyone got/ had this? Pros and cons?
We like the fact we won't have to treat/paint it every year but wondered about fading?
Old 14 May 20, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

We've got it.

I did it myself, the base I constructed from C16 treated timber (lasts about 30 years without further treatment). To level/get correct fall I used plastic decking supports, you just screw/twist them to the correct height - job done.

An absolute breeze to put down, it's been down 2 years and all I've had to do is brush it and give it a light jet wash (don't go super heavy on it as like any material a jet wash can destroy/eat it in seconds).

Can't see any cons so far. Doesn't seem to get all green and slippy like some decking can.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 20, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We clad an old garden wall in composite from a firm that does decking as well. Cladco they are called. Pleased with how it turned out.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 20, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Funnily enough that's the make we used for the decking.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 20, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Just beware, decking provides the perfect home for mice and rats.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 20, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
Just beware, decking provides the perfect home for mice and rats.
Everyone said that to us when we put ours down 8 years ago but we’ve not seen any. We’ve got a couple of loose boards so lifted them and had a look over the years, no trace.

I can see if you drop food etc they would love if.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 20, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
We've got it.

I did it myself, the base I constructed from C16 treated timber (lasts about 30 years without further treatment). To level/get correct fall I used plastic decking supports, you just screw/twist them to the correct height - job done.

An absolute breeze to put down, it's been down 2 years and all I've had to do is brush it and give it a light jet wash (don't go super heavy on it as like any material a jet wash can destroy/eat it in seconds).

Can't see any cons so far. Doesn't seem to get all green and slippy like some decking can.
Thank you. That's a great help.
Old 14 May 20, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
RachelM
VIP Dibber

RachelM's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by Lola View Post
We clad an old garden wall in composite from a firm that does decking as well. Cladco they are called. Pleased with how it turned out.
That looks great x
Old 14 May 20, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

I’m pretty certain that I used a company called TimberTech and chose capped composite decking. Their delivery was excellent. It came from the other end of the country from me, but they arrived exactly on time. You can have free samples sent to you of various colours so that you can lay them in the area that you wish to deck and see how it looks. I had a landscape gardener re do my balcony and it’s been amazing. I love it.
Old 14 May 20, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
As a Carpenter by trade I would always recommend composite over timber for external work.

Years ago you could get well preserved seasoned timber. Sadly those days are long gone and the pressure impregnated stuff they sell now is ok but nowhere near as good as it was.

Composite delivers two big wins. Maintenance reduction and more durable. Job done.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List