Notices

Old 7 Oct 20, 12:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

Second wave - time for a national lockdown

The rate of cases and deaths is increasing:

The rather half-hearted measures in the North of England are not slowing down the rise sufficiently.

The government do not seem to have registered the extra transmission that is bound to come with the colder weather. With the current measures in place the hotspots will spread countrywide and we will be stuck with a very high rate everywhere and less NHS capacity for non-Covid patients.

We need to close down all non-essential business and stop all mixing. Only schools should be kept open. Although the time to do this has now passed. If it had been done earler with just schools open there would have been time to close them as well if necessary before winter proper.
Pinchy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 20, 12:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Harry
Imagineer

Harry's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Errrr... ok... I think our rate where we are is 10/100000... last covid death in our local hospital was back at the beginning of June... so ... yeah ok national lockdown it is then...

"... he is moving like a TREMENDOUS machine... "

Edited at 12:53 AM.
Harry is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 20, 01:06 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Errrr... ok... I think our rate where we are is 10/100000... last covid death in our local hospital was back at the beginning of June... so ... yeah ok national lockdown it is then...
Iím alright Jack? 👍
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 20, 01:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Harry
Imagineer

Harry's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
gbdeclaration/

Well the so called experts have not been that great so far with the previous national lockdown... wrecked economy... peoples mental well being shattered... livelyhoods wrecked... millions of cancer tests missed... our childrens future prospects... wellwhere do you start there... so... maybe we should look at another way of getting us through this mess...

"... he is moving like a TREMENDOUS machine... "
Harry is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 20, 01:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Harry View Post
gbdeclaration/

Well the so called experts have not been that great so far with the previous national lockdown... wrecked economy... peoples mental well being shattered... livelyhoods wrecked... millions of cancer tests missed... our childrens future prospects... wellwhere do you start there... so... maybe we should look at another way of getting us through this mess...
I think we are trying that and it's not working hence the OP. There is a lot of resistance in parliament but there's no credible alternative strategy coming forward. We are in a critical period now. The cycle will repeat itself. We have somewhat of a head start compared to the first wave but winter is coming, compliance is falling and there may be too much reliance on a vaccine quick fix.
Pinchy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 20, 02:15 AM  
Link to this Post
wikkle jan
Imagineer

wikkle jan's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We can only hope with cold weather and rain it will maybe keep people home so no outside gathering like in the nice weather... (i'm not moaning i'm just saying more people go to the beach and sit outside at night in the warm weather..)
wikkle jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 20, 05:55 AM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Apprentice Imagineer

Iíd be very surprised if there was another national lockdown although Iím in South Wales - so in a local one .
The economy simply canít survive it - itís going to take a very very long time to recover from this .We need to find a way to manage some sort of life while protecting peoples health ,not just from Covid 19 but from all the thing that the response to it has put on the back burner - from transplants and cancer screening to routine dental appointments.
This is not the first pandemic and it wonít be the last .
Governments need to find a way to manage and we all need to realise ultimately- we are not the boss of nature .
inky1 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 20, 06:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Nanna Frozen
Excited about Disney

Totally agree another lockdown would be a disaster. I just donít know what the answer is. I live in the NE where we are under extra restrictions but to be honest you would never know it!
People are just behaving as normal, especially , I would say, those under 50( but not all!).

I fear that nobody will take any notice of any further restrictions,so I honestly donít know what options the govt have left. Maybe put all higher education online, but I know my son who is currently a student in higher education, feels he learns much better with face to face teaching and struggles with motivation when he is at home all of the time.

My niece and her partner both work in hospitality and have two kids, they live in constant fear of losing their jobs. My daughter in law lost her job in recruitment.
I honestly donít know what the answer is, and the rise in infections/ hospital admissions/deaths is obviously worrying.

I feel like the government have lost their focus and have little faith that they have any reasonable strategy going forward.

On a positive note I have ordered my turkey from M&S and yesterday I bought my Christmas pudding!
Nanna Frozen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 20, 06:31 AM  
Link to this Post
mazzadee
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I donít want another lockdown and understand the damage this will do to the economy and mental health. However I do understand that if this second wave takes hold like history dictates that it will be worse than the first wave. We managed with lockdown to keep the NHS from being overwhelmed ,without stricter measures I do not understand how we will do this again. I understand that other medical conditions have not been treated properly but struggle to understand how an overwhelmed NHS will be able to address this if we continue as we are. So if another lockdown is necessary to stop the NHS being overwhelmed and consequently lives saved I would not object.
Old 7 Oct 20, 06:43 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
VIP Dibber

Lockdowns donít work and are pointless and economy destroying, killing tens of thousands, and possibly hundreds of thousands long term. Soon there will be no economy.
The public mood has now turned.
Lockdowns will not be tolerated.
Targeted protection and personal responsibility is now the only way forward.