Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Oct 20, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

Tell me about smart plugs

Looking on amazon prime day and I'm seeing smart plugs linked to alexa that seem very good prices. But I don't want to just rush. (I'm guessing similar offers will be on for black Friday? )

I'm thinking may be a good purchase. We can just use to put lamps on timers while away. Could maybe use with a heater if we just wanted to use one room? Day when on our way home or to time 1 room? (no gas heating)

Can you control them with an app as well as voice? (usually have Alexa off as don't want it listening &#128527

Can I use them with an electric heater?

What brands are good?

Anything I should know?

Thanks 👍
tiggertastic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 20, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggertastic
Imagineer

Omg only ever use this on my phone, but just noticed I have a full set of gold ears 😊😊😊

No idea how long I've had them but yay.

And totally off topic 😂😂
tiggertastic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 04:48 AM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

We have the TP link plugs. The original ones, managed by the Kasa app. I'm pretty sure they can be managed by Alexa but we only ever use the app. We absolutely love them! We have lights set to come on at certain times, but can quickly be over ridden by the app. I keep meaning to get the bulbs but haven't got around to it. We also have their little cctv cameras; again, they are excellent.

ETA, yes, you can use them on absolutely anything that has a plug 👍🏻
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 06:35 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

We control a few smart things with Alexa - so let's start withe the items controlled by smart plugs first

Electric radiator - in conservatory.
Fairy lights in the conservatory

Because we use the conservatory for a dining room sometimes in the colder months we need the radiator on. But its not always obvious - from the inside of the house the radiator is on using alot of electricity so we pair the conservatory lights to the radiator. So when we say "Alexa turn dinner on" it turns both the radiator and fairy lights on which serves as a reminder. By controlling the radiator using a smart plug we can turn it on when we are out of the house so its warm when we get home.

Just make sure any smart sockets you buy can carry the load of a radiator.

We also use smart plugs for the Christmas lights which means we can enable our Blackpool illuminations using a single voice command.

We also control a few lights and the Android TV using Alexa but that isnot shat you asked . At night when its bedtime the "alexa goodbye " command turns off the TV and any lights we don't want on overnight.

Note: please be careful what you control using smart plugs because some devices (computers and TV for exanple) do not like having the power suddenly applied or removed - it may damage them

Hope that helps

BB

Edited at 06:36 AM.
BucksBugsy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We have the TP plugs too. We don’t use them for many things as all our lights are Hue lights and they have their own app and are linked to Alexa but we love the convenience of them. As for the plugs we use them for my Vivarium to control a uv light and usually the Christmas tree lights too. They are useful and would recommend them.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Make sure you buy good quality CE approved ones.

Lots of examples of cheaper ones burning out. Personally I would never use one on anything like a heater or tumble drier as those types of devices are higher risk.

Even the TP-link ones have burnt out on these types of appliances.

They are great to use, but be careful.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
fiona3103
Imagineer

fiona3103's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I want one for a slow cooker. Would that be ok or is that classed as high risk?
fiona3103 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Originally Posted by fiona3103 View Post
I want one for a slow cooker. Would that be ok or is that classed as high risk?
You need to check the power rating of the slow cooker- i think by definition they are massively high. Also do a manual test by powering off at the wall socket and then set the sloq cooker control to the desired setting and then power on at the wall socket. Does it work as you would hope?

Just think through the impact of the slower cooker being left powered on and for some reason you are away and can't get home - will it still be safe?
Old 14 Oct 20, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
You need to check the power rating of the slow cooker- i think by definition they are massively high. Also do a manual test by powering off at the wall socket and then set the sloq cooker control to the desired setting and then power on at the wall socket. Does it work as you would hope?

Just think through the impact of the slower cooker being left powered on and for some reason you are away and can't get home - will it still be safe?
Slow cookers are deigned to switch on and leave all day for as long as you like - while you are out for the day (and evening them to theatre etc) and eat a late supper - thus use as much electricity as a light bulb (well the user manual of mine says that) - Many modern ones do have a timer and Say after 12 hours turn the temperature right down . I dont feel they are a risk but I also dont see the need to buy a smart device for them
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 20, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
We just bought one, specifically for the Christmas lights, so we don't have to keep clambering about under the tree to get to the switch
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List