Notices

Old 8 Nov 20, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
princessnicki
Apprentice Imagineer

Post election borders opening

What are peoples views/ predictions on when the borders will open now the election is over?

My guess after watching the debates and how keen Biden is to eradicate the virus is that they wont open anytime soon and i wouldnt be surprised if he did the same as Oz and kept things closed through most of next year- obviously hope i am very wrong as we have September booked
princessnicki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I donít really understand the Australia position. A work colleague has moved there recently and says their borders may be closed until 2023! Iím not sure how anyone can predict how this will go when we donít know how soon a vaccine is coming or how effective it may be.

I would imagine Joe Biden will open borders as soon as he deems it safe.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
quartergill
VIP Dibber

quartergill's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by princessnicki View Post
What are peoples views/ predictions on when the borders will open now the election is over?

My guess after watching the debates and how keen Biden is to eradicate the virus is that they wont open anytime soon and i wouldnt be surprised if he did the same as Oz and kept things closed through most of next year- obviously hope i am very wrong as we have September booked
Unfortunately I agree that we need to expect that summer holidays in USA may not be for us this year. I will keep my countdown for no other reason than my misguided and tenuous optimism.
quartergill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
robrar
Imagineer

The borders will open when the infection data improve. No politician will want to inflict unnecessary economic hardship on their country at this time. So for me the more important question is when the infection data will improve, and what steps need to happen to speed that process?

When Trump was challenged on his response to the pandemic the only thing he pointed to was how quickly he closed the border, initially to parts of China and then gradually to everywhere else. Yet when you look at the evidence of what social distancing restrictions are most effective at driving down the rate of transmission, the R rate, prohibiting international travel is pretty low down the list.
robrar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
linnite
Very Serious Dibber

I'm interested to note there is no sign of a second wave in New York:

covid19.healthdata/unite...aths&tab=trend

Do we know why? What sort of restrictions are New York under?

Nov 2001 - I-Drive ... May 2009 - DL Paris ... Aug 2011 - Pop ... Aug 2013 - SSR ... Aug 2015 - A/S Music + HRH ... Aug 2017 - RPR,CBR,AKL ... Feb 2018 - Cabana Bay ... Feb 2019 - Aventura + A/S Sports
linnite is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
amberspy
Imagineer

Mobile

I read from a Facebook page it was said he wonít open the borders for a least a year but sure if true or not
amberspy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
Joker in the pack

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
It a guessing game there loads of theories out there but no one knows it could be a few months it could be a year no one know if things go the right way then could be early next year.
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by amberspy View Post
I read from a Facebook page it was said he wonít open the borders for a least a year but sure if true or not
Iíd be surprised if he would put a timeframe on it, so sounds unlikely to me. Especially as testing, treatments and vaccinations are likely to change the picture considerably over the coming months.
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
robrar
Imagineer

Originally Posted by linnite View Post
I'm interested to note there is no sign of a second wave in New York:

covid19.healthdata/unite...aths&tab=trend

Do we know why? What sort of restrictions are New York under?
They had a very strict lockdown to get on top of their first wave, and only slowly and partially re-opened up since then. A number of restrictions remain in place, and have been made more restrictive according to friends I have upstate of NYC, in Westchester.

These are the restrictions in place in New York City.

nycgo/coronavirus-in...for-travelers/
robrar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
linnite
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by robrar View Post
They had a very strict lockdown to get on top of their first wave, and only slowly and partially re-opened up since then. A number of restrictions remain in place, and have been made more restrictive according to friends I have upstate of NYC, in Westchester.

These are the restrictions in place in New York City.

nycgo/coronavirus-in...for-travelers/
Thanks for the link - does just look on paper like a tier 1 sort of setup though?

Nov 2001 - I-Drive ... May 2009 - DL Paris ... Aug 2011 - Pop ... Aug 2013 - SSR ... Aug 2015 - A/S Music + HRH ... Aug 2017 - RPR,CBR,AKL ... Feb 2018 - Cabana Bay ... Feb 2019 - Aventura + A/S Sports
linnite is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List