Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Nov 20, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
I think George Best is the most overrated player of al time
Hang your head in shame for that.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 20, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

I think it's hard to compare a defender with these attacking greats - destroying is always much easier than creating (there is a reason why they play in defence!) - depends on what criteria you put on being the best - leadership, loyalty, honesty and integrity or pure raw talent.

Pure raw talent is why I put Maradona at the top of the list - I don't think his lack of other attributes should diminish that - their are other greater sportsman, but not footballing genius.

I think also you have to look at the pitches he had to paly on and the brutal tackling he was subject too - in Italy, at the time the greatest league of all with the best / worst kind of defending on show. It's hard to imagine Messi and Ronaldo surviving in that era, but Maradona would have still been no.1 in this era.

We were lucky to have seen him.
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 20, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Originally Posted by stupet11 View Post
I think also you have to look at the pitches he had to paly on and the brutal tackling he was subject too - in Italy, at the time the greatest league of all with the best / worst kind of defending on show. It's hard to imagine Messi and Ronaldo surviving in that era, but Maradona would have still been no.1 in this era.
Ronaldo could, he has the determination and drive very few players have. Messi definitely not. That’s why Maradona will always be rated above him. In the Ronaldo V Messi debate Sir Alex Ferguson said "Ronaldo could play for Millwall, Queen's Park Rangers, Doncaster and score a hat-trick in the game. I'm not sure Messi could do that.
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 20, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gjdjud View Post
Ronaldo could, he has the determination and drive very few players have. Messi definitely not. That’s why Maradona will always be rated above him. In the Ronaldo V Messi debate Sir Alex Ferguson said "Ronaldo could play for Millwall, Queen's Park Rangers, Doncaster and score a hat-trick in the game. I'm not sure Messi could do that.
Yes - thats true, , Ronaldo did some phenomenal work on his physique - I guess it's similar reason Maradona comes above Pele, not playing in more leagues, leaving that question mark.
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 20, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I saw Maradonna live at Wembley England V Rest of the world what he could do with a ball was amazing we saw him with two defenders on him make it look like the ball was kicked straight up and the go across at 90 degrees.

I think George Best is the most overrated player of al time and I have never really watched Pele but how would they do in the modern game ? Christiana Ronaldo I think is the best player I have ever seen
You are not alone with your assessment of George Best.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 20, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
All such assessment of great sportsmen is very subjective and personal, but...

He was undoubtably one of the all time greats, flawed or otherwise. To me he is one of just four midfielders/strikers that fit the ticket, (Sorry George, but you are not one of them). Normally, I am also generally wary of labelling the current crop.

Pele (although he never played club football outside of Brazil).
Maradona
Messi
Ronaldo.
3 South American’s and a Portuguese.

I do not know enough to comment on defenders who might join that illustrious crop, but P Maldini may enjoy similar status... and F Baresi... and F Beckenbauer.

Gazza? Forget it.
Pele thought Best was the greatest, hard to argue. He transformed British football and brought in the era of superstar footballers. Many modern day players owe a debt to this era.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 20, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

I saw Maradonna live at Wembley England V Rest of the world what he could do with a ball was amazing we saw him with two defenders on him make it look like the ball was kicked straight up and the go across at 90 degrees.

I think George Best is the most overrated player of al time and I have never really watched Pele but how would they do in the modern game ? Christiana Ronaldo I think is the best player I have ever seen
Think you need to watch some footage of old games. It’s easy to play in the last 30 years when defenders aren’t allowed to tackle. Have a look at the brutality these older guys had to suffer . In the modern game greats would still be great as they would adapt. Pele said Best was the greatest , coming from one of the greatest himself that’s enough for me.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 20, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stupet11 View Post
Yes - thats true, , Ronaldo did some phenomenal work on his physique - I guess it's similar reason Maradona comes above Pele, not playing in more leagues, leaving that question mark.
I think you miss the fact of Pele and the World Cup record against the best , he proved himself time and time again at the highest level
Old 26 Nov 20, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
I think you miss the fact of Pele and the World Cup record against the best , he proved himself time and time again at the highest level
But only played club football in Brazil for Santos. Hardly the standard of Spain, Italy etc at the time. A 600 game career in the spotlight in Europe is different to being rolled out every 4 years for 8 games. 4 world cups, if you won or reached the final in all of them is 32 or so matches.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 20, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
But only played club football in Brazil for Santos. Hardly the standard of Spain, Italy etc at the time. A 600 game career in the spotlight in Europe is different to being rolled out every 4 years for 8 games. 4 world cups, if you won or reached the final in all of them is 32 or so matches.
Pele played 92 times for Brazil scoring 77 goals against some of the most brutal defending in South America and the World Cup. If you get a chance look at some of the games against Chile, Uruguay, Argentina, Mexico you may get your eyes opened