Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Jan 19, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

emplyment law experts - any here please?

Last week we were told the private school I work for is closing in July and we were given notice for then . However as a consequence of parents being notified a vast amount of parents have already or in the process of removing their children to alternative schools now and wont be waiting for July. My colleague had her HR meeting today and when she asked if there were no children here by July how would that affect the redundancy and was told they wouldn't pay up until July in that scenario . Can they do this ? If we were given a letter of redundancy until July are they not obliged to honour it ?
Old 14 Jan 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

They could issue new dates as long as they follow the correct process and give you the minimum notice period required/you are contracted to. They can also withdrawn the redunacy at anytime upto the actual day.
I think from your comment the question your colleague asked was if there are no children left and i find a new job can i leave before July and still get redunacy. There is no requirement for them to allow you to leave before the actual date.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

I read the comment as it actually states - would they be paid up until the end of the July if there were no children left which I think is a very relevant question. I didn't assume she was asking about a new job. Mind you that could be down to working for a law firm - we never assume anything and only answer the question actually asked, not what we assume is being asked.

Edited at 02:42 PM.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

What is your contractual notice period?
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks all - my notice is four weeks . Yes I was asking if they should pay us until end of July as that was written as our last day . However from reading the other comment it seems they can get rid of us before then if they give us our four week notice . Aside from year six pupils who were obviously leaving anyway I can’t imagine any staying till July especially as schools be it private or state are very full in my area . I think I should maybe plan to not be needed by Easter I think .
Old 14 Jan 19, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
Thanks all - my notice is four weeks . Yes I was asking if they should pay us until end of July as that was written as our last day . However from reading the other comment it seems they can get rid of us before then if they give us our four week notice . Aside from year six pupils who were obviously leaving anyway I can’t imagine any staying till July especially as schools be it private or state are very full in my area . I think I should maybe plan to not be needed by Easter I think .
So if all they have to do is give four weeks, then I guess that can change the date all they want as long as they give four weeks. Or pay it as PILON.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List