Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Sep 18, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Oliver123
Imagineer

Oliver123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile Electric only house

Looking for some help!
I am looking at buying a house that is electric only (14 years old EPC D)
I cannot try and find how much this will cost me to heat up as it isn't on the gas network!

Does anybody know how much it would cost on average to heat a 4 bedroom detached house on just electric?
Old 16 Sep 18, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucky's Mum
Excited about Disney

I lived in a 2 bed electric house for 18 yrs before moving to the house we built (electric and oil as no gas in area) and the bills were fine. Had a large storage heater downstairs in the lounge and one on the landing. There were convector heaters in the two bedrooms but never used them in all that time. Only on the very coldest days in the middle of winter did we pop a fan heater on for an hour or so. Cooking was electric and I had a washer dryer which I used whenever I wanted to.
We were on the Economy 7 tariff -not sure if it's called that now so the heaters warmed up overnight -I would also use the timer on the dishwasher and washing machine to wash in the night.
We had a timber framed house which are warm anyway -I would check how the house is built and if block built check the cavity has either cavity fill or insulation boards and the loft has over the minimum insulation level.
Hope that helps a bit!
Lucky's Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Our 'normal' house was all electric (had a house fire so not living there)...
In honesty it cost a fortune it is a 4 bed with massive open plan living space.
We had underfloor electric heating mats that came on on a timer...the house cost a fortune to run and never felt warm..Like I say the open plan nature of the house and very large rooms with high ceilings definitely impacted on this...When we finally re renovate ours I am thinking of an eco pellet system (they aren't cheap though) Part of my decision though is based on the fact that our house fire was caused by an electrical fire so want to do everything in my power to prevent this again (even though the fire was caused by either a part or installation fault)
We had solar panels fitted to offset the summer costs but winter costs were astronomical... Depending on the size of the rooms etc you will have to work out whether it will be cost-effective and look at the wattage of each room.
To have all the heating n in our house it was 25 kw per hour
so the running costs would be if 13p per unit £3.25 per hour 10 hours = £32.50
Obviously we never had this much on as we couldn't afford to but you need to work out the cost of each heater and which rooms you would have on...
When we originally renovated my hubby had our gas cut off ...Yes we had gas as an option and I really didn't want to go all electric.
On the other hand Gas may run out one day soon but again this is an unknown?
I don't want this to scare you like the other poster said they had bills that were ok but it is something i would take into consideration.

I would just like to reiterate that the rooms are very large and open plan so the heat didn't stay very well in the rooms .
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

We live in a small 3 bed house in an area of the Highlands with no gas at all. We got new electric heating put in just over a year ago and to be honest we used them for a couple of days then switched them off as they are so expensive to use. We have a log burner in our sitting room and luckily it heats the whole house over the winter its on 24/7.

Our dishwasher/washing machine are on twice a day. 4 people in the house having 4 showers a day. electric cooker in use everyday. Our electricity is £100 a month.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
mandevillepete
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

You could ask the agents to ask the sellers what their average electricity bill is. They might tell you
Old 16 Sep 18, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
pretty71
Apprentice Imagineer

I used to live in a house with no gas. we had an oil fired heating system though which worked great...it wasn't expensive at the time, don't know how much oil costs now though.
pretty71 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Oliver123
Imagineer

Oliver123's Reviews
Originally Posted by pretty71 View Post
I used to live in a house with no gas. we had an oil fired heating system though which worked great...it wasn't expensive at the time, don't know how much oil costs now though.
There is no oil unfortunately not a large enough garden!
Oliver123 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 18, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Oliver123
Imagineer

Oliver123's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Lucky's Mum View Post
I lived in a 2 bed electric house for 18 yrs before moving to the house we built (electric and oil as no gas in area) and the bills were fine. Had a large storage heater downstairs in the lounge and one on the landing. There were convector heaters in the two bedrooms but never used them in all that time. Only on the very coldest days in the middle of winter did we pop a fan heater on for an hour or so. Cooking was electric and I had a washer dryer which I used whenever I wanted to.
We were on the Economy 7 tariff -not sure if it's called that now so the heaters warmed up overnight -I would also use the timer on the dishwasher and washing machine to wash in the night.
We had a timber framed house which are warm anyway -I would check how the house is built and if block built check the cavity has either cavity fill or insulation boards and the loft has over the minimum insulation level.
Hope that helps a bit!
That does help a lot! There isn’t storage heaters but I believe it is a very effiecent boiler
Old 16 Sep 18, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Oliver123
Imagineer

Oliver123's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by 3disneykids View Post
Our 'normal' house was all electric (had a house fire so not living there)...
In honesty it cost a fortune it is a 4 bed with massive open plan living space.
We had underfloor electric heating mats that came on on a timer...the house cost a fortune to run and never felt warm..Like I say the open plan nature of the house and very large rooms with high ceilings definitely impacted on this...When we finally re renovate ours I am thinking of an eco pellet system (they aren't cheap though) Part of my decision though is based on the fact that our house fire was caused by an electrical fire so want to do everything in my power to prevent this again (even though the fire was caused by either a part or installation fault)
We had solar panels fitted to offset the summer costs but winter costs were astronomical... Depending on the size of the rooms etc you will have to work out whether it will be cost-effective and look at the wattage of each room.
To have all the heating n in our house it was 25 kw per hour
so the running costs would be if 13p per unit £3.25 per hour 10 hours = £32.50
Obviously we never had this much on as we couldn't afford to but you need to work out the cost of each heater and which rooms you would have on...
When we originally renovated my hubby had our gas cut off ...Yes we had gas as an option and I really didn't want to go all electric.
On the other hand Gas may run out one day soon but again this is an unknown?
I don't want this to scare you like the other poster said they had bills that were ok but it is something i would take into consideration.

I would just like to reiterate that the rooms are very large and open plan so the heat didn't stay very well in the rooms .
Wow thanks! I will have to look into solar panels it’s something I want to look into
Old 16 Sep 18, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Oliver123
Imagineer

Oliver123's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Minnie18 View Post
We live in a small 3 bed house in an area of the Highlands with no gas at all. We got new electric heating put in just over a year ago and to be honest we used them for a couple of days then switched them off as they are so expensive to use. We have a log burner in our sitting room and luckily it heats the whole house over the winter its on 24/7.

Our dishwasher/washing machine are on twice a day. 4 people in the house having 4 showers a day. electric cooker in use everyday. Our electricity is £100 a month.
Thanks. It did have a log burner so I might have to look into putting one back in