Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 18 Jan 19, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker100
VIP Dibber

New York - please help me choose a hotel!

so I am driving myself nuts trying to narrow down my long shortlist for hotels in NY. It's our first time and we're only going for 3 nights before our orlando trip, so it should be easy... no, I'm going round in circles and it's doing my head in now.

I'll give you a bit of info as to where my head is at and hopefully those of you who've been can give me some sage advice ... I started off my looking roughly around midtown. Didn't really have anything in mind but a budget of around £1100 inc tax and fees for the 3 nights. By looking around that gets me some nice hotels so I'm also looking at suites, which are also in my budget, not the plaza or the st regis, but some nice ones

I liked the look of Bryant Park area, then thought we could base ourselves at central park as day 2 will be just mooching around that area (day 1 is taken care of with SoL and downtown), then I changed my mind and wanted something close to Rockerfella so we could pop there when we land and sort out a time for our pass (we don't land 'till 5pm so will be late when we arrive at hotel), then we're looking at booking Lion King for night 3 so have also looked at all those around TS and theatre district so it's not far to get back to hotel.

I've now got a massive list of pretty much every hotel in NYC!

If you could stay in one hotel, in your favourite area, budget not really an issue, what would it be? Do I need to be close to anywhere really as I think it's all pretty walkable except downtown? if we leave the theatre late or walk around after tea, is it unsafe? I'm now thinking that I should not focus on location at all as we can walk around at any time pretty much and not worry if we're like 30 mins away...

grateful for your advice so I can get on with planning foodie things
Old 18 Jan 19, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

i wouldnt stress about it from bryant park is easily walkable to central park & vice versa for example

out first visit we walked from the the world trade centre (as was) back to midtown but the subway is cheap & easy to use

new york is nowhere near as big as you may imagine & the best way to see the city is on foot... the only time consuming part is waiting at crossing for a the 'green man' every block

in december we stayed at Omni Berkshire on 5th/52nd perfect location but anywhere midtown you cant reall go wrong as nothing i that far away

never once felt unsafe in NY including walking up through hells kitchen at 4am on time ...
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

My favourite hotel ever in NY is The Knickerbocker. We stay there every year. It's literally steps from Bryant Park (and the subway station) and is overlooking Times Square. Really beautiful spacious rooms and the bathroom is huge and amazing. It has a roof top bar overlooking the Times Square clock. Service is always impeccable and the staff remember us each time we visit. There isn't one fault I can find with it at all.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 19, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker100
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
My favourite hotel ever in NY is The Knickerbocker. We stay there every year. It's literally steps from Bryant Park (and the subway station) and is overlooking Times Square. Really beautiful spacious rooms and the bathroom is huge and amazing. It has a roof top bar overlooking the Times Square clock. Service is always impeccable and the staff remember us each time we visit. There isn't one fault I can find with it at all.
Thank you I’ve been looking at the knickerbocker it does look lovely. Good to know how close it is to places and from a returning customer!
Old 18 Jan 19, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker100
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
i wouldnt stress about it from bryant park is easily walkable to central park & vice versa for example

out first visit we walked from the the world trade centre (as was) back to midtown but the subway is cheap & easy to use

new york is nowhere near as big as you may imagine & the best way to see the city is on foot... the only time consuming part is waiting at crossing for a the 'green man' every block

in december we stayed at Omni Berkshire on 5th/52nd perfect location but anywhere midtown you cant reall go wrong as nothing i that far away

never once felt unsafe in NY including walking up through hells kitchen at 4am on time ...
Thank you, the Omni is on my list but I checked prices again today and the room I was after has increased a lot another kick up the bum for me to get a move on and book!
Old 18 Jan 19, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sunseeker100 View Post
Thank you I’ve been looking at the knickerbocker it does look lovely. Good to know how close it is to places and from a returning customer!
Just another tip, if you are intending to book directly with the hotel then it is worth paying the fee to join the Leader Club before you book (as part of the Leading Hotel of the World group) as you will then get a free room upgrade on arrival and free breakfast each day in the restaurant for 2. I think the breakfast is around $35 each otherwise so worth becoming a member for this alone. You will need to join then book through the Leader Club concierge. They are always happy to price match too so if you see the room cheaper ring them first, ask if they will match the price then join there and then on the phone. They are super helpful.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jan 19, 12:44 AM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker100
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
Just another tip, if you are intending to book directly with the hotel then it is worth paying the fee to join the Leader Club before you book (as part of the Leading Hotel of the World group) as you will then get a free room upgrade on arrival and free breakfast each day in the restaurant for 2. I think the breakfast is around $35 each otherwise so worth becoming a member for this alone. You will need to join then book through the Leader Club concierge. They are always happy to price match too so if you see the room cheaper ring them first, ask if they will match the price then join there and then on the phone. They are super helpful.
Thanks I’ll have a look at that
Old 19 Jan 19, 01:29 AM  
Link to this Post
AlexE
Imagineer

AlexE's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

We stayed at the Broadway Plaza. We felt very safe walking back from seeing the Lion King at night. We walked everywhere except to the Brooklyn Bridge when we got the subway.
Old 19 Jan 19, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by AlexE View Post
We stayed at the Broadway Plaza. We felt very safe walking back from seeing the Lion King at night. We walked everywhere except to the Brooklyn Bridge when we got the subway.
Ditto above!
Old 19 Jan 19, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
We stayed at the club quarters hotel Times Square, it’s not actually on Times Square itself but a short walk around the block. The hotel had no fees and did include some free soft drinks, tea and coffee and snacks from the lobby area which was nice and it was a clean and modern hotel.

Anywhere you stay you will find it easy to get around and to get to the places you want to see. We used the subway a lot as I have problems with my back and wanted to conserve energy and it was really easy and cheap. But as other people have said, it is possible to walk to most places.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List