Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 17 Dec 18, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Anyone got any Christmas shortcuts with the day coming near...

We have Jus Rol cinnamon swirls from a can for breakfast on the day itself - the smell wakes everyone up, they are suitable for vegetarians, smell of Christmas, and they take up very little room in the fridge.

Any shortcuts or space savers in your houses?
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
minnie29
Apprentice Imagineer

Sounds nice - where do you get them from? We normally just have a pastry of some sort
minnie29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by minnie29 View Post
Sounds nice - where do you get them from? We normally just have a pastry of some sort
Asda usually, though I got some in my online Tesco shop this week in readiness! They are yummy.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

My friends brother is a chef and his top tip was to cook the turkey the day before, slice it up and then half an hour before the end of cooking everything else, to have the turkey (wrapped in foil) sat in a roasting tray with water (to keep it from drying out) and warm it through in the oven - I’ve done this the last few years and it takes so much stress away - no longer do I panic the turkey isn’t cooked or worry about carving it up when everyone is there - also frees up a lot of room in the oven!
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
My friends brother is a chef and his top tip was to cook the turkey the day before, slice it up and then half an hour before the end of cooking everything else, to have the turkey (wrapped in foil) sat in a roasting tray with water (to keep it from drying out) and warm it through in the oven - I’ve done this the last few years and it takes so much stress away - no longer do I panic the turkey isn’t cooked or worry about carving it up when everyone is there - also frees up a lot of room in the oven!
ooo - that sounds like a good idea - I am always worried it is not cooked then it ends up dry, so this would work for me! thank you.
Old 17 Dec 18, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I par boil King Edward potatoes and scrap the tops and fry them upside down and slightly brown them, I then put them in the oven to finish them off. Everyone raves about my roasties, it probably a long cut not a short one x
Old 17 Dec 18, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Heavy duty foil trays for the turkey roast potatoes etc my adage if it’s good enough for Nigella it’s good enough for me saves washing up
And I label all my serving dishes with what goes in them makes it easier if anybody is helping
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

Don't make breakfast just eat chocolate instead!
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
Heavy duty foil trays for the turkey roast potatoes etc my adage if it’s good enough for Nigella it’s good enough for me saves washing up
And I label all my serving dishes with what goes in them makes it easier if anybody is helping
I do both of these too! Trays straight into the bin afterwards
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 18, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Marks & Spencer 😃