Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 22 Feb 17, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Standard vs Full Size SUV with Alamo?

Trying to decide whether to book full size or standard SUV with Alamo (So Hyundai Santa Fe or similar for standard and Chevy Tahoe or similar for full size).

The price difference for my dates (April) is around £80-90 per week, which is ok if I'm getting something reasonable extra for it. Obviously the full size is bigger, but would value feedback from those with experience of what else is better between one and the other. The space itself would be nice, but we are just a family of 4 (kids not yet teens), so not strictly necessary apart from me liking the idea of spoiling myself with a bigger car. In Europe we more often rent standard SUV size (Volvo XC60 or similar).

We will mainly be driving around the Orlando area, split stay in Disney and villa, with possibly 1 or 2 day trips to Tampa and the Kennedy Space Center.

Your wisdom and experience is appreciated
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 17, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
martyn7836
slightly serious Dibber

I've had the Tahoe and Ford Expedition which was full size and they were fab lots of room lots of toys aircon seats and heated steering wheel plus they both had working sat nav looked the part over there my kids were only 6&13 at the time but they loved having the option of the rear seats in the boot after the airport run At the moment we only have a intermediate SUV booked wanted to upgrade it but VH want a lot of money to go to standard never mind full size so I'm going wait to get out there and see what they offer me I may still upgrade to standard before I go but sadly VH want a lot more than £90 as you mentioned.
martyn7836 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 17, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
US192
Very Serious Dibber

I would go with the full size at the price difference you've mentioned.

We've had both standard and full size SUVs, and the full size is definitely worth that little bit extra (even tho' you don't actually need the space). You'll feel more like you fit in on the road over there with a Tahoe or equivalent.
Old 23 Feb 17, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Thanks for the replies. I probably didn't need a lot of persuading, but will go for the full size.

Now just have to decide whether to book with Alamo directly or via Discount Florida Car Hire. DFCH seems to be around £90 cheaper for a 2 week rental compared to booking with Alamo direct using AA or Alamo Trade discounted rates. Trying to work out if any differences in product / service or if it is just a better price.

Both have Alamo Gold (extra drivers and tank of fuel), not sure if DFCH is a prepaid rate vs a pay at time of rental rate. Do you get OLCI and skip the line with DFCH? I've seen they get good reviews on here, so would probably use them if everything else is the same as booking direct.

Edited at 12:30 PM.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 17, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

I'm slightly biased but I'd book with DiscountFloridaCarHire.co.uk

Yes, you can do OLCI, skip the counter with bookings through myself. Its prepaid in advance.

Just be aware that I call the 4 driver package platinum where as Alamo call it Gold. Other than that, they're the same.

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 17, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
danc99
Having Dinner with Goofy

Mobile

Standard suv seems to be a bit of a minefield in terms of choice. Some people have found cars in that row which are crossovers not really suv etc. That was my sales pitch to DW on why full size was better. Less decisions and me checking differect cars.

That and I just fancied a V8!
danc99 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 17, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
gazza5
Proud to wear my Ears

Go for tahoe - you only live once - just got back from san diego - i have wanted to do the v8 thing for ages - my daughter cried when we got home and she saw the astra I have here - she wanted daddy's big car back!

Plus you should get working sat nav also.
gazza5 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 17, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by gazza5 View Post
Go for tahoe - you only live once - just got back from san diego - i have wanted to do the v8 thing for ages - my daughter cried when we got home and she saw the astra I have here - she wanted daddy's big car back!

Plus you should get working sat nav also.
That happened me - not just DD 😆
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List