Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 25 Feb 17, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Jamthemackem
Excited about Disney

For those of you that use Avios redemption

Hi all

On another site that I use apparently BA are targeting those on redemption tickets to actively downgrade them if they have over sold the flight above anyone else. So if your flying club world on a 2-4-1 they could move you to economy and potentially give you nothing on the free part of the ticket
Jamthemackem is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 17, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post

Surely they would reinstate your voucher, bit of a poor show as people may not have other times in the year to use it, we have used redemption vouchers before with no problems but will keep an eye out for this
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 17, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Stevelovesfl
Excited about Disney

I don't think you'd get your 241 back as you have used it but for a lower class than booked. You don't get compensation hence they are picking the cheapest way out of an oversold travel class. Wasn't BA voted Britain's best loved brand too.
Stevelovesfl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 17, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
amf
Apprentice Imagineer

Firstly, downgrades happen very rarely. Upgrades are far more common. A downgrade from Club to economy is simply scaremongering... WT+ would be the likely downgrade from Club.

As for compensation in the event of this happening I would not accept nothing. The thread on flyertalk regarding this issue contains at least one report of compensation being given after the affected pax went via CEDR then MCOL. This would be my route in the unlikely event of this happening to my two 2 for 1 vouchers in Club this summer. I would also considered not accepting the downgrade, leaving BA to find alternative flights, pay hotel etc costs and EU261 compensation.

Those possibly affected might care to follow the threads on FT and Headforpoints.

Edited at 02:57 PM. Reason: Autocorrect!
amf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 17, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Stevelovesfl
Excited about Disney

I tried to check in online for my return flight using a 241 at <24hr and it came up with an error. I got to the desk and found we were to be split up due to operational reasons. Mrs stevelovesfl was very annoyed at being split up and even more annoyed at the fact we couldn't sit together as she suggested both in economy.

The check in agent couldn't get hold of a manager and with the check in queue building we were told to see gate staff. Her economy ticket was ripped up and our original ticket and seat given next to me.

So it does happen but I think it's rare but it appears you are prime target for a shift towards the back by using a 241.
Stevelovesfl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 17, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
amf
Apprentice Imagineer

In the unlikely event of this happening to anyone I'm posting the FT thread link so you can get an idea of your possible remedies. flyertalk/forum/briti...owngrades.html
amf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 17, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

This is a poor show by BA, and taking it through to a logical conclusion (given BA are defintely a "money-over-service" operation these days, it is totally in their (financial) interest to oversell Club World if there is a 2-4-1 redemption travelling. They get to downgrade those on the 2-4-1 at no cost to themselves.

I am looking to book one of these for next summer, but will also be adding a 3rd passenger (I don't know if I'll do that at the time or if I'll book a separate ticket for the 3rd one - will depend on the price at time of redeeming). If I got downgraded with no offer of compensation I would be raising holy hell!