Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 13 Nov 18, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
NikkiT
slightly serious Dibber

Xbox S v Xbox X

Hi

So my DS10 has asked for an Xbox this year for Christmas and I havent a clue where to start.

If i am right the Xbox S is the cheaper alternative but any recommendations would be gratefully received.

I am inclined to go for the dearer Xbox X as I am assuming this will last him longer but am I mistaken?

Thanks
Nikki
1998 Villa 2000 Southern Dunes 2004 Southern Dunes - Wedding & Honeymoon! 2005 Southern Dunes 2007 Best Western Lakeside just the 2 of us 2010 Best Western Lakeside & toddler makes 3! 2012 Indian Creek 2013 Indian Creek 2014 Indian Creek 2015 Indian Creek for my 40th! 2016 1st time on site @ CBR 2017 1st time @ POR 2018 1st time @ Halloween & CBR again 2019 Indian Creek 2020 Cancelled 2023 Indian Creek
NikkiT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 18, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

right I'm not an expert at all (I am simply an xbox mum!). The X is the newest, latest, best, etc, (and therefore more expensive!) version. I was in your position 2 years ago and went with the S (which was then the latest) rather than the xbox with the idea that it would become outdated less quickly. If money is no object then get the X for longevity. If price is a factor then in my opinion the S will be perfectly good for several years. I have no idea what the price difference currently is.

I would say to get the biggest memory version you can afford. When we got ours you could get 500gb, 1tb or 2tb and we got the 1tb version. It is about 80% full and we don't have a huge amount of games downloaded on to it. They (and all the subsequent updates!) seem to take up quite a bit of memory.

Somebody more knowledgeable than me may well say differently.
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 18, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

I recently bought an Xbox One X to replace my Xbox One.
The Xbox One S is similar an Xbox One but smaller whereas the Xbox One X is a more upgraded Xbox. It has better graphics, cooling and power delivery system. If needed, you can stack other things on top of the X too as there isn’t any hot air coming from the top.

Personally, if you can afford the X then that’s what I’d go for (and it should last longer) but the S is ok too.

There will probably be different deals around now and with Black Friday coming up but I bought mine from thegamecollection.net which was cheapest at the time.

Edited at 06:27 PM.
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 18, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
My understanding is that all x-boxes will be heavily discounted on Black Friday. Have a look at this

hotukdeals/deals/xbo...-store-3101212
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 18, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
NikkiT
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks all for your replies - I think my understanding kind of falls into line with what you have said - Xbox x if we can afford it and bigger memory the better! I’ll keep an eye out to for Black Friday deals too - just need to find out what games he wants know!

Thanks again
Nikki x
NikkiT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 18, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by NikkiT View Post
Thanks all for your replies - I think my understanding kind of falls into line with what you have said - Xbox x if we can afford it and bigger memory the better! I’ll keep an eye out to for Black Friday deals too - just need to find out what games he wants know!

Thanks again
Nikki x
In which case you need to do that before Black friday. Many of the bundles will have different games.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 18, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by NikkiT View Post

Thanks again
Nikki x
Yup! The X comes with 1TB which will hold a fair bit. You can buy external hard drives to add extra storage though if needed, I have a Seagate one.
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 18, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Do you have a 4k display (S does 4k still but X is better at 4k), and will he appreciate objectively slightly better graphics and frame rates? My son wouldn't, he's 12. I've gamed for 40 years, if I were buying one I'd buy the X but for my son, who just wants to play Fortnite or GTA, I'd buy the cheaper S.
If you don't have it on a 4k display, certainly don't bother.
There will be new consoles out anyway in the next 18 months or so.

Edited at 09:59 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 18, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
NikkiT
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Do you have a 4k display (S does 4k still but X is better at 4k), and will he appreciate objectively slightly better graphics and frame rates? My son wouldn't, he's 12. I've gamed for 40 years, if I were buying one I'd buy the X but for my son, who just wants to play Fortnite or GTA, I'd buy the cheaper S.
If you don't have it on a 4k display, certainly don't bother.
There will be new consoles out anyway in the next 18 months or so.
Thanks for this and others again for your knowledge! So if I buy him the x it won’t last him longer than the s? Whilst he wouldn’t appreciate the better graphics etc I would prefer to but him a console that will last him more than 2 years...
1998 Villa 2000 Southern Dunes 2004 Southern Dunes - Wedding & Honeymoon! 2005 Southern Dunes 2007 Best Western Lakeside just the 2 of us 2010 Best Western Lakeside & toddler makes 3! 2012 Indian Creek 2013 Indian Creek 2014 Indian Creek 2015 Indian Creek for my 40th! 2016 1st time on site @ CBR 2017 1st time @ POR 2018 1st time @ Halloween & CBR again 2019 Indian Creek 2020 Cancelled 2023 Indian Creek
Old 21 Nov 18, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Sorry to jump in OP. Looks like I am getting my boys an x box for Christmas. My 12 year old has the x box one and my youngest now wants to play mincraft on it. They won’t want to play the same games and the time frame for playing on the x box is the same so to avoid fall outs I am thinking of getting a new one between them.
I am thinking my youngest will use the older one because he won’t use it that much and my 12 year old have the new one.
It seems there is a £150 ish price difference between the S and the X that’s a huge difference.
My sons original x box is totally fine and will no doubt last a good few years left so I am thinking an S will be totally fine.
I just do t think I can justify an extra £150 when apart from being able to tell his mates he has an X will he really notice a difference ?

Has anyone seen any really good deals yet? Would you wait until the weekend or have all the offers started?
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List