Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 27 Feb 17, 12:24 AM  
Link to this Post

Car hire insurance dilemma

Hi

A while back I asked about my options as we have a flydrive package with travel city direct. I since found out that it is not a 'free' car and with the advice given have got another car through Alamo brits which has cost an additional 400 for midsize suv.

I have since been informed of another option that I can still use the 'free' car via TCD (which is also alamo) and buy additional insurance on a seperate website. The website I was directed to has quoted £85 plus airport taxes which I think at MCO is $2.50 dollars/day. This is only with the economy car but for the extra saving I think it would be worth it. The problem is I am not sure if this is entirely correct and wondered if anyone had any experience of doing it this way? The insurance seems to be the full cdw etc. Do Alamo except these types of insurance from 3rd party websites? My worry is if I do it this way we will arrive and Alamo will not let us use the insurance and end up being out of pocket even more!

I read on MSE that Alamo may also want a deposit of up to $1000 dollars using this method which they may/may not take and on return I can lose out due to the exchange rate (but overall this would work out cheaper anyway).

Opinions? What would you do? Help! I am the type who has always asked the male to sort car stuff out but my OH is just not paying any attention to my planning (overthinking!).

Thanks again
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 17, 12:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Jlo31
Excited about Disney

Hi,

Yes there are some car hire excess insurance policies that now cover CDW (collision damage Waiver) and a couple that add SLI (extended liability cover to $1000000) (Google money maxim for some quotes)

In theory, most US folk do not take the CDW option as there auto insurance or credit card covers this and there auto ins covers third party. The rental company only offer the minimum third party cover which can be as low as $10000. This is where SLI increases this to cover you up to $1000000

When you book through a UK broker you will normally have CDW included which basically waives you from any responsibility for damage of the rental car. If you damage the car there will be very little fuss or paperwork.

If you use a seperate policy then they may scrunise the car more and any damage will be charged which you then can reclaim (you are responsible up to the full value of the vehicle) I believe if there was major damage or car written off then the insurance would liase with the rental company to settle as would the case if a third party claim was made against you. There would defo be lots more paperwork involved.

Personally for peace of mind I booked through Alamo directly and take their CDW and SLI cover although I'm sure the uk insurance would work... I just don't want to test it out.

Good luck

James

Edited at 12:45 AM.
Jlo31 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 17, 02:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Alibayparc
VIP Dibber

Hi
I echo Jlo31. Although in theory these policy's should be OK, to me they have a lot of potential opt-out clauses in the terms & conditions. I personally wouldn't want to be worrying during the holiday about how good third party insurance would be. You say the economy car would be OK, if the budget is a concern you could save some money by renting an economy car with Alamo Brits.
Alex
Alibayparc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 17, 06:05 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Hi Welshlamb... I'm with Jlo and Alibay, whilst coverage can be considerably cheaper there can be pitfalls. I saw a post on another forum from a chap who 'self insured' via a UK agent for a while, then reverted back to 'all included' Alamo's cover, within 30 mins of leaving MCO's garage a car T boned him and wrote off the spanking Caddy he had. Police attended, Alamo sent out a breakdown with a new motor and took the written off Caddy away and he continued on his way. Apparently, and sorry for being vague as I'm wracking my brain here as I can't find the thread, he'd discovered had he been on UK bought insurance Alamo were not liable to replace his hire car (odd, I know), as the accident invalidated that contract, had he wanted another motor he'd have had to return to MCO and take another contract with Alamo at their desk. He also mentioned something about a large deposit 'pending hold' against UK bought insurance would've been swiped on his cc at time of pick up, following the accident, even tho he was 100% the innocent party, Alamo would likely have taken the pending hold until such time as the incident was settled by the UK insurer.

As he said, he bought car insurance via UK agent for quite many trips with no issues, but he realises he'd avoided a lot of slaver by reverting to Alamo's insurance on the occasion of the accident. He never bought UK car insurance against a Fl motor again.

His instance was well over 10 years ago, so it might be worth pinning down the UK agent regarding your cover/replacement vehicle under the contract/refundable financial obligations should a write off collision occur, perhaps it's changed in the intervening years.

Edited at 06:07 AM.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 17, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
RobertWestwood
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
I'm sure Tom Morrow will be along shortly to give his opinion as this is a recurring issue in this forum.

It seems as if Alamo will accept the policy but you would have to contact them in advance to make sure they do.

However, you have already highlighted one of the potential problems, ie that you are in an accident the car is written off and you then have to rent a new car as Alamo will not replace it.

There is also the risk that you may be forced to pay for the repairs first and then reclaim them from the insurer, although those who have looked in to this have been assured that is not the case.

Having taken four months after returning from holiday to recover $6,000 in medical expenses, I am never keen to accept such an assurance from an insurance company.

There may also be an excess to pay.

I personally am of the view that if you take the cover offered by the hire company, you are covered against most issues and there is no excess to pay, its just not worth the saving in costs to be made, but each to their own

She is much more intelligent than me
RobertWestwood is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 17, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post

The reason you see this is most American's use there own insurance when renting a car. I think for most renters from the UK would find getting your own insurance first and thenthe risk of not getting it right and being turned away and all for a small saving is a chance I for one would not take.
I have more than 50 rentals behind me many pre internet. But I'm still not that brave I'll stick with the tried and tested way. Alamo is a very safe bet you get what it says on the tin.
Old 27 Feb 17, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Someone mentioned me! These type of posts are croping up more and more. Maybe due to the more expensive car hire?

Each must make their own choice but I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, but somebody else may decide to do it.

I have enough things to condern myself with in life without worrying that my hire car is properly insured in an accident. God forbid it happens but I wouldn't want to be the person involved in a multi million dollar claim with a DIY Policy.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 17, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Someone mentioned me! These type of posts are croping up more and more. Maybe due to the more expensive car hire?

Each must make their own choice but I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, but somebody else may decide to do it.

I have enough things to condern myself with in life without worrying that my hire car is properly insured in an accident. God forbid it happens but I wouldn't want to be the person involved in a multi million dollar claim with a DIY Policy.
I second that
Old 27 Feb 17, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Jlo31
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post

Yes I do agree with you Mr Tom Morrow. I do use these policies in Europe but at the end of the day you are only on the hook for maybe €800-€1200 and I feel it's worth the risk but not in the States!

Interestingly, if it was a multi million law suit we would all be bankrupt as sup liability only goes up to $1000000. This has always seemed low to me when in EU or UK it's unlimited!

If I had the option to increase this limit further I would!
Jlo31 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Feb 17, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Jlo31 View Post
Yes I do agree with you Mr Tom Morrow. I do use these policies in Europe but at the end of the day you are only on the hook for maybe €800-€1200 and I feel it's worth the risk but not in the States!

Interestingly, if it was a multi million law suit we would all be bankrupt as sup liability only goes up to $1000000. This has always seemed low to me when in EU or UK it's unlimited!

If I had the option to increase this limit further I would!
I would also use one of those Policies for Europe - not that I intend to ever go there!

A valid point you make ref SLI. However there is no option to top it up further, strange that.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List