Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 5 Nov 18, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
*jovi_girl*
Imagineer

Voucher for Christmas but 7 months til he can use it?

After racking my brain for what to buy my ds 16 for Christmas I really can’t think of anything.
Everything I’ve asked him he says no to.

He’s not 17 til July but thought I’d buy him a voucher for driving lessons instead as I know he wants to learn to drive.
I’m buying ds 14 a PS4 which is £300 so thought I’d get £300 of driving lessons and his dad said he’d buy some vouchers for him to.

Do you think it’s mean to buy a pressie that he can’t use for 7 months?
Can’t buy it for his birthday pressie cos they only get £150 and that wouldn’t go far for lessons.
His dad said he’d then pay for his tests for his birthday pressie.

Good idea or not?
*jovi_girl* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 18, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
ally1966
Imagineer

A £300 present is definitely not mean! There’s nothing that you can do about the timing of his 17th Birthday. If it’s definitely something that he wants to do then I think it’s a good idea.

Last Christmas I bought tickets for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child for DD18, D-i-l and D-i-l’s sister, we go this week, so a wait of over 10 months before they could use their Christmas presents. They were all delighted and we still had the anticipation of something to look forward to when most other Christmas presents were a distant memory.

If you wanted to give your DS a taster that he could use nearer to Christmas, Groupon have deals on junior driving experiences from as little as £29.
ally1966 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 18, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
dietcokebreak
slightly serious Dibber

Would a driving experience work? I know there are some that they can do before they are 17.
That and the vouchers (to the same cost as the ps4 obvs) so he has something he can do before he starts his driving lessons?
dietcokebreak is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 18, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
dietcokebreak
slightly serious Dibber

Ha you typed faster than me ally1966
dietcokebreak is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 18, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
mumof2
Apprentice Imagineer

I've been through this experience with DD (now 24). She loved it as it was all that was on her mind at that time so was really happy that we had started the ball rolling for her lessons. I do think that if you wanted to start the ball rolling with the young driver lesson that would be a great idea for him although would he prefer something to 'unwrap' in the moment plus his lessons for £300...?
Old 5 Nov 18, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
*jovi_girl*
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mumof2 View Post
I've been through this experience with DD (now 24). She loved it as it was all that was on her mind at that time so was really happy that we had started the ball rolling for her lessons. I do think that if you wanted to start the ball rolling with the young driver lesson that would be a great idea for him although would he prefer something to 'unwrap' in the moment plus his lessons for £300...?
He’ll get stuff to unwrap too.

So far he’s not got anything though 😂😂😂 he’ll be getting clothes, smellies and chocolates and I’ve bought them all $100 each to use on holiday in April.

Waiting for Tesco to reduce their gift sets as they do every Christmas then will stock up on stuff.
*jovi_girl* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 18, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post

I think it's a really good idea ...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 18, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Sounds like a grand idea to me.

My DD is 9 and half her class (from their parents FB posts) have Little Mix tickets for Christmas and the concerts aren’t until end of 2019.
ely3857 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 18, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

if its something he want then why not I'm doing similar for dd I'll be making up an iou voucher for x amount of driving lessons then I'll pay for them when she is ready to start. I'm also paying for an overnight hotel stay & tixs for a concert she's going to next year as part of her xmas present. If anything it give them something to look forward to rather than being over and done with in 1 day.

I've previously gifted subscriptions and experiences that are for later dates and never had any complaints.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Nov 18, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mumof2
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by *jovi_girl* View Post
He’ll get stuff to unwrap too.

So far he’s not got anything though 😂😂😂 he’ll be getting clothes, smellies and chocolates and I’ve bought them all $100 each to use on holiday in April.

Waiting for Tesco to reduce their gift sets as they do every Christmas then will stock up on stuff.
Can I be your child please, sounds like I'm missing out!