Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 6 Jan 14, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
FLORIDA2001
Excited about Disney

Hertz rent a car

Has anyone hired a car from Hertz at Orlando Int. We have always used UScarhire but this year Hertz is coming up £130 cheaper. We always go for a seven seater full size SUV but Hertz is coming up with a seven passenger standard SUV so unsure what to do as when we have hired from UScarhire the car has always been prefect for our requirements.

We are a family of 5 with two over 6 foot tall and we always take 5 big suitcases which have always been fine in the US carhire cars so dont know whether the Hertz would be any good. Also we have always had two drivers on the insurance but nowhere on the Hertz info does it say whether two drivers are on the policy with no extra charge. Any help much appreciated.
FLORIDA2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 14, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
STomo
Excited about Disney

We used Hertz last time (2012), was organised through the banks royalties scheme by the parents in law.

We did have a bit of a hard sell to get us to upgrade, that may of been initiated by us though...

We enquired to how much a sat nav would be to hire and they said that they only rent cars with nav built in rather than a seperate unit. We declined as the upgrade to a car with nav was $30 a day.

However, they called through for the Dodge Caravan we were booked to come from the 'parking lot' , yet some 30 minutes later it still wasnt there. In the meantime the rep was suggesting upgrades and showing us pics... even showing us the Escalade. When we flatly refused we just stood away from the counter for a few moments. Then, all of a sudden the rep just said that they hadnt got a Caravan and we can get an upgrade and gave us paper work. We gets the parking garage to find it was a Tahoe that we had been upgraded to.

After speaking to someone on iDrive who sells tickets, we were told its a common ploy when they have oversold the popular cars. They have to give an upgrade free, but if they can get you to take the upgrade without knowing that the booked car is out of stock, the reps get to keep the extra money as commission.

For this trip, we have booked a Tahoe with usrentacar.com from Alamo... just hope we can wangle a free upgrade to that now ;-)
STomo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 14, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post

Used them last year for a mid sized SUV. To be honest they were excellent.
I pre registered all my details online, drivers license, credit card etc and when we arrived at the Q a guy was going down the line, took one look at my paperwork and pointed me to an automated teller. No Q, no hard sell and were in the Car within 10mins and off to the villa.

Been shopping around for the best price and I keep coming back to Hertz. Will be booking next couple of days to take advantage of the sale price and an extra 10% cash back via Quidco.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 14, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
FLORIDA2001
Excited about Disney

Thank you for your reply.Everytime we have been have always used UScarhire so not sure whether to take the risk and find out when we get there its a car we only just fit into with baggage
FLORIDA2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 14, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
FLORIDA2001
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by weematthew View Post
used them last year for a mid sized suv. To be honest they were excellent.
I pre registered all my details online, drivers license, credit card etc and when we arrived at the q a guy was going down the line, took one look at my paperwork and pointed me to an automated teller. No q, no hard sell and were in the car within 10mins and off to the villa.

Been shopping around for the best price and i keep coming back to hertz. Will be booking next couple of days to take advantage of the sale price and an extra 10% cash back via quidco.

did you have to pay for additional drivers
Old 7 Jan 14, 04:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Grumps Mrs
VIP Dibber

If you have AA membership an additional driver is usually included free but you have to book it as an AA member to start with.
We like Hertz as there's no hard sell for the fuel - you can either pay for a full tank on collection (usually cheaper than you can get outside) or bring it back full. We've always opted to pay upfront so we don't have to worry about finding somewhere to fill up on the way back.
If you sign up for Gold membership you'll be able to go directly to the garage at MCO and your vehicle will be listed on the electronic board (avoiding any attempt to upgrade at the counter) - you usually get a one class upgrade as a Gold member too (and I think membership is still free). Don't forget you can collect Nectar points with Hertz rentals too - I don't work for Hertz - honest
Grumps Mrs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 14, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
BnDamo
Imagineer

BnDamo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 12
Used them last year and to be honest they were excellent.
BnDamo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 14, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Used Hertz twice last year and booked again for this year. Much prefer them to any others we've used.

You need to book through your Gold membership to be able to go straight to garage. Use Quidco too.
Old 7 Jan 14, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
FLORIDA2001
Excited about Disney

Thank you all for all the help will book tonight.
Old 7 Jan 14, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
boxercass
Proud to wear my Ears

I always use Hertz with Gold Membership (costs nothing to join), it's a real time saver as you just look at your name on the board gotto the bay and drive the car away. Last two times I've hired an Extra Capacity Full size SUV It's been the GMC Yukon XL and it is a massive car!
Kissimee 1999Royal Pacific,Don Cesar (St Pete), Animal Kingdom 2008Portafino,), Beach Club 2010, Hard Rock, 2011[/COLOR], Waldorf, Don Cesar (St.Pete) 2012 2013 Yacht Club, 2014 Yacht Club Portafino, 2015 Grand Floridian 2016 Portafino 2017 Hard Rock
boxercass is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread