Notices

Old 23 Jan 19, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

My daughter is going on Sat 16th. I am worried about how cold it will be and trying to explain she,ll need a big coat and proper footwear-she however doesn’t seem so concerned! Her preparation is finding out which shops are near the sites they are visiting 😂

Your trip sounds great and such a good price. The food walk sounds great too.
mrsdjh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 19, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsBigdog
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
What a bargain trip! I’m not sure I could cope with the cold at that time of year, although I would like to see New York with some snow.

I’ve heard about Ziggy’s tours, from when I used to read the TA forum before I discovered the Dibb. I’m sure that will be a great experience.

I didn’t know that you could book a Heathrow lounge using some flying club miles. Off to read up on that now.

Looking forward to reading all about your trip. Have a great time.

Thank you Jocat. It was only the fact it was coming out half the price of May that made me book February. Plus it's an early birthday pressie for myself
Ziggy has excellent reviews on TA. He emailed me back really quickly and gave me all the info I needed. I was really surprised he could fit us in, as judging by the reviews you need to book months in advance.

The No1 Lounge is booked via the FC website, you can't use miles unfortunately. But you do earn 350 miles per booking, so I bought mine and Rich's separately for 350 miles each
MrsBigdog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 19, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsBigdog
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Helen1512 View Post
Hi
Reading along with interest. We’re off on our first trip the week after you. Fly from Heathrow with BA on the 17th. I am also worried about how cold it will be. Bought some thermal vests lol. Interested to see where you’re eating as it’s all new to me. So many to choose from.
Hi Helen1512, ooh so excited for you. You will have a blast, it's my favourite city, helps it's in America too Yes, I'm packing the thermal vests too. I did read a good tip, that it doesn't matter what coat you wear as long as it is long enough to cover your bum/top of legs as that is where you will feel the cold if out walking the streets. PLus gloves and hats are essential. I have my Calvin Klein coat I bought in Burlington on our last visit to NY in 2015. As it's looking a bit tired, I shall wear it for the first day or so and then get a new one when we go back to JGM. Hopefully there will be loads of bargains like last time(I'm ignoring the drop in the exchange rate since we last went!).

Food wise, I just put our hotel into google maps and clicked on nearest restaurants and started looking at reviews. I started looking the day I booked our trip in October and I am still finding new ones now Rich and I are not one's for fancy restaurants, we do both love a steak. Rich is a proper carnivore, I am open to trying everything and do like a bit of veg/salad. Hopefully I will remember to take pictures of our food too, as I personally love food trip reports on the Dibb.
MrsBigdog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsBigdog
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
My daughter is going on Sat 16th. I am worried about how cold it will be and trying to explain she,ll need a big coat and proper footwear-she however doesn’t seem so concerned! Her preparation is finding out which shops are near the sites they are visiting 😂

Your trip sounds great and such a good price. The food walk sounds great too.
Thank you Mrsdjh. I'm sure your daughter is going to have an amazing time! It's the puddles you need to watch out for if it has been raining/snowing especially at the drop kerbs. Haha, she's a girl after my own heart. I like to check which shops are close to attractions etc. I'm really looking forward to the food tour with Ziggy. He used to work in Hell's Kitchen and knows a lot about the local history, so I can't wait to listen to what he has to say
Old 23 Jan 19, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen1512
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by MrsBigdog View Post
Hi Helen1512, ooh so excited for you. You will have a blast, it's my favourite city, helps it's in America too Yes, I'm packing the thermal vests too. I did read a good tip, that it doesn't matter what coat you wear as long as it is long enough to cover your bum/top of legs as that is where you will feel the cold if out walking the streets. PLus gloves and hats are essential. I have my Calvin Klein coat I bought in Burlington on our last visit to NY in 2015. As it's looking a bit tired, I shall wear it for the first day or so and then get a new one when we go back to JGM. Hopefully there will be loads of bargains like last time(I'm ignoring the drop in the exchange rate since we last went!).

Food wise, I just put our hotel into google maps and clicked on nearest restaurants and started looking at reviews. I started looking the day I booked our trip in October and I am still finding new ones now Rich and I are not one's for fancy restaurants, we do both love a steak. Rich is a proper carnivore, I am open to trying everything and do like a bit of veg/salad. Hopefully I will remember to take pictures of our food too, as I personally love food trip reports on the Dibb.
Thanks for the reply. Good tips about clothes, especially keeping your bum covered lol!
What’s JGM? I’m always up for a bargain.
Food wise I can’t wait to try a bagel with cream cheese and lox. Also really want to eat some real New York cheesecake, a big slice of New York pizza and a hot dog from a hotdog stand.
Just looking at tickets to see Aladdin! Not sure whether to buy in advance or risk getting cheaper seats when we get there.
Old 23 Jan 19, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker100
VIP Dibber

Looking forward to how your trip goes and of course the food! I’ll be following along as it’s our first time in April. Would be interested to know some of the accounts you follow on instagram? I’m a fellow American food lover well any food really
Old 24 Jan 19, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsBigdog
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Helen1512 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Good tips about clothes, especially keeping your bum covered lol!
What’s JGM? I’m always up for a bargain.
Food wise I can’t wait to try a bagel with cream cheese and lox. Also really want to eat some real New York cheesecake, a big slice of New York pizza and a hot dog from a hotdog stand.
Just looking at tickets to see Aladdin! Not sure whether to buy in advance or risk getting cheaper seats when we get there.

Helen, JGM is Jersey Garden Mall. It's situated in Elizabeth, NJ and you can get a bus from Port Authority on 42nd St. It takes about 40 mins on the bus and we paid about $8 each for one way(we got an Uber back as we had so many bags). It's a massive 2 floor Simon outlet mall. Think Vineland Rd but under cover.
I've been recommended Junior's cheesecake which is in Time Square. I did read on TA that because Aladdin is a Disney show they don't offer discounts very often, instead they use dynamic pricing? Hope you get lucky with tickets though
Old 24 Jan 19, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsBigdog
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by sunseeker100 View Post
Looking forward to how your trip goes and of course the food! I’ll be following along as it’s our first time in April. Would be interested to know some of the accounts you follow on instagram? I’m a fellow American food lover well any food really
Hi Sunseeker, hope you have an amazing trip in April. Hopefully it will be a bit warmer than when we go? I'll make a list of some of the Instagram food accounts I follow later if that's ok. I have so many I follow and there are so many different foods I would like to try
Old 24 Jan 19, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Helen1512
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by MrsBigdog View Post
Helen, JGM is Jersey Garden Mall. It's situated in Elizabeth, NJ and you can get a bus from Port Authority on 42nd St. It takes about 40 mins on the bus and we paid about $8 each for one way(we got an Uber back as we had so many bags). It's a massive 2 floor Simon outlet mall. Think Vineland Rd but under cover.
I've been recommended Junior's cheesecake which is in Time Square. I did read on TA that because Aladdin is a Disney show they don't offer discounts very often, instead they use dynamic pricing? Hope you get lucky with tickets though
Thanks, all good to know.
Yes I’ve read that Juniors is one of the best for cheesecake.
I’ll have to decide if I really want to see Alladin if it’s worth just booking before we go then, they sell tickets on attraction tickets direct that seem competitively priced. I’ve been looking at info about TKTS for tickets but not sure if in February I want to stand for hours in a line. Decisions decisions.
Old 24 Jan 19, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Wow what a bargain trip!

And there was no indecision on my part about coats at all... I don't know what you're talking about!

We popped into Junior's and enjoyed it, didn't have cheesecake though.

I recommend Century 21 for coats and other shopping. It's like TK Maxx but much bigger. There's 2 that I know of in NYC. One on the Upper West Side near the Lincoln Center, and a massive one downtown near ground zero. There may be others.