Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 5 Aug 20, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

My mum works in a call centre and gets this too. She's stopped telling her colleagues when her annual leave is coming up or where she's going as they make petty comments. They're still making sly remarks about her having a week off over new year. She's WFH for the foreseeable future and she much prefers this.

I'm sorry OP that your colleagues make you feel like this, it's so unfair. Enjoy your time off and don't give them a second thought.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 20, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Wee_Red
Imagineer

Wee_Red's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
My friend has literally just said in a chat one of her relatives is NHS and they were all asked to try not to go anywhere abroad due to the possibility of 2 weeks isolation if it's brought in. This was someone who should in any other job been asked to shield due to her health condition.

Now I know there are probably people out there that may be thinking that's not too unreasonable but where do they draw the line? NHS, police, teachers etc can't then go to a restaurant or pub in case of test and track (or whatever it's called).

Enjoy your holiday and tell them where to go. Most jobs make us feel like we're replaceable at the best of times so why should any of us feel guilty for doing exactly what we're entitled to.
Wee_Red is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 20, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Thanks all. My DD is 21 tomorrow and we intend on having a fantastic work free day. Its one of the many heads of dept who makes everyone feel awful for having annual leave.
Old 5 Aug 20, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I bet that head of department takes leave too, and feels no guilt. Follow their example !
I’d just laugh if anyone tried that on me, no one ever said on their deathbed “I wish I’d spent more time in the office”
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 20, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
PixieBoot
Very Serious Dibber

My hubby works in retail, a relentless industry where 12 hour days 6 days a week are the norm. Made to feel bad about taking holiday when they get the basic annual allowance anyhow...so I completely understand. Enjoy your time off, I’m sure they will readily take theirs and if they don’t - it’s not dedication to the job they’re showing, it’s lack of perspective and priorities.
Happy 21st bday to your daughter 😀

Oct 2003 couples hol Kissimmee > WDW, Universal, Seaworld, Busch, Daytona

Jul 2015 Family of 5 Kissimmee/RPR Club > Universal, Wet n Wild, Kennedy SC, WDW

Aug 2018 Family if 5 AMI/RPR Club/Kissimmee > Universal, VBay, WDW

Hopeful for Jul 2021 > RPR Club/Y Club
PixieBoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 01:33 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

But surely they also have holiday? So when someone is on leave the workload for the rest will go up, that's normal in most places.
When I have leave a colleague covers urgent issues only but my PA has less work to do but she often picks up work from her colleague who is on leave.

If they only make comments to you then that is different and this would be unacceptable behaviour and needs to be addressed.
Old 6 Aug 20, 07:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
Thanks all. My DD is 21 tomorrow and we intend on having a fantastic work free day. Its one of the many heads of dept who makes everyone feel awful for having annual leave.
I would take great delight when returning to work letting it be known what a wonderful holiday I’d had.

I once had a manager when I worked for Asda who didn’t like us having holidays and used to come up with all sorts of rubbish as to why we couldn’t have them.
She once had a holiday form of mine for 4 months refusing to sign it so I got the union involved and it was signed pretty quickly.
We had a 27 hour delay coming home from Cuba so I phoned to let her know I’d be a day late coming back to work and was told it was unacceptable and I needed to be back on the agreed date,
I just laughed and replied I’ll start swimming now then shall I?
Old 6 Aug 20, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Big Belle
Imagineer

What happens when other team members take their leave? You’re all in the same boat surely? Just enjoy yourself, bring a tin of biscuits back when you get back, and make sure you take all of your entitlement

DLP New Year 1993, May 05, Mar 07, Jan17 and Sept 22
Orlando 1986, 1991, 1994, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017 & 2023
Big Belle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post

Just to flip reverse it, it happens to managers too.
I manage a very small team, and I am considerate. I always checks with my team before booking anything big, and let them book up most of their leave before choosing my own etc.
Yet when my leave rolls around, the snarky comments and the selfish drama I get is ridiculous

“What a shame I was invited out to lunch by X next Wednesday, guess I can’t go NOW”

“there’s a good band playing at the pub on Friday, shame I can’t go”

and that’s the good stuff! Other stuff is very toys out of pram. But my point is - it happens at all levels and just goes to show that really most people only care about themselves. Just let it slide off you, be selfish yourself, and enjoy your time off! Xx
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 20, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Soooexcited you obviously work hard, so now play hard and don’t worry about them griping.

Have a good week.