Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Apr 19, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile Outside CCTV to protect my cats

So this thread will sound bonkers to anyone that isn’t an animal lover.

I want some cctv for the outside of my house to protect my cats. Anyone living near London might be aware of a person mutilating cats. He has struck my town a couple of times over the last few years. My cats are now kept it at night because of this but I still worry for them. If he was going to strike my cats I want to know I have it on camera.
So I can decide to go with a diy cameras (such as ring or Swann ones) although dh is not handy and probably would not be able to install it, or pay the company we have an alarm with as they do cctv, however will probably cost more as is it even worth it for the cats 😂. Any recommendations would be welcome.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I have the esp HD view and I'm very impressed with the quality of the system and the esp helpline is very good should you have any issues (they are in England so no calling Bombay). It also comes with a 2 year warranty.

When we had an attempted break in last December, the police even commented how good the cctv recording quality was. The online viewing is also very good (we were watching live from Florida and could playback etc).

I've seen a couple of swann systems in action, and I prefer the ESP HD view. They have improved it since I bought mine with the ESP HD superview systems.

alertelectrical/esp-...v4kb2g1tb.html

Personally I don't rate ring as a cctv alternative.

Edited at 09:37 PM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
I have the esp HD view and I'm very impressed with the quality of the system and the esp helpline is very good should you have any issues (they are in England so no calling Bombay). It also comes with a 2 year warranty.

When we had an attempted break in last December, the police even commented how good the cctv recording quality was. The online viewing is also very good (we were watching live from Florida and could playback etc).

I've seen a couple of swann systems in action, and I prefer the ESP HD view. They have improved it since I bought mine with the ESP HD superview systems.

alertelectrical/esp-...v4kb2g1tb.html

Personally I don't rate ring as a cctv alternative.
Thanks for the link. That was the sort of price I imagined paying.

Just out of interest why do you not rate ring?
Old 22 Apr 19, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Clairelovestate View Post
Thanks for the link. That was the sort of price I imagined paying.

Just out of interest why do you not rate ring?
Ring is pricey and can just be pulled off and nicked in seconds, plus it doesn't have a hard drive for recording and you have to pay more to have it put on cloud which can also be hit and miss.

It has its uses if you have a delivery and no one is in etc, but in 'my opinion' isn't a substitute for a proper cctv system. Potential burglars don't even press the ring doorbell if they want to see if someones in, they just use the door knocker.

My neighbour got feed up with her ring doorbell alert going off, that she disabled it. People aren't always in a position to even answer ring doorbells when they at work or driving etc
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Apr 19, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Weddingnyc
Apprentice Imagineer

We have an older Swann system, although only 5 years old, it was incredibly difficulty to set up (I have a degree in IT), the userface as not user friendly and the whole thing now seems very outdated.
We also have YI cameras, about £30 for each camera, sitting in the windows overlooking the garden and front door through the window, great at night, great app, no extra costs, motion tracking, and are often on sale on Amazon - we have 3 and have been really happy with them.
NY and Boston July 2020
Weddingnyc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I don't know about CCTV brands but I can't see how any sort of camera is going to help protect your cats. Yes, you may see who it is but s/he will still have seriously injured your cat and then it's too late by the time you see the recording.
Plus, people who do this sort of thing are very, very rarely incarcerated so even if charged and convicted s/he will still be on the streets doing the same thing afterwards
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 19, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
Ring is pricey and can just be pulled off and nicked in seconds, plus it doesn't have a hard drive for recording and you have to pay more to have it put on cloud which can also be hit and miss.

It has its uses if you have a delivery and no one is in etc, but in 'my opinion' isn't a substitute for a proper cctv system. Potential burglars don't even press the ring doorbell if they want to see if someones in, they just use the door knocker.

My neighbour got feed up with her ring doorbell alert going off, that she disabled it. People aren't always in a position to even answer ring doorbells when they at work or driving etc
Interesting, thank you.
Old 23 Apr 19, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Weddingnyc View Post
We have an older Swann system, although only 5 years old, it was incredibly difficulty to set up (I have a degree in IT), the userface as not user friendly and the whole thing now seems very outdated.
We also have YI cameras, about £30 for each camera, sitting in the windows overlooking the garden and front door through the window, great at night, great app, no extra costs, motion tracking, and are often on sale on Amazon - we have 3 and have been really happy with them.
I’ll have a look for those cameras. I suppose for what I want they don’t need to be outside I guess.
Old 23 Apr 19, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
I don't know about CCTV brands but I can't see how any sort of camera is going to help protect your cats. Yes, you may see who it is but s/he will still have seriously injured your cat and then it's too late by the time you see the recording.
Plus, people who do this sort of thing are very, very rarely incarcerated so even if charged and convicted s/he will still be on the streets doing the same thing afterwards
I realise it wouldn’t stop the attack but if it did happen I want evidence of who did. This person has killed hundreds of pet cats, rabbits and wildlife and until recently the met police were investigating but no one has any evidence. It would give me peace of mind should the worst happen.
Old 23 Apr 19, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
j9mcl
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Wasn't the "Croyden Cat Killer" proved to be foxes?
bbc/news/amp/uk-en...ondon-45588088