Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 27 Apr 16, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida2009
slightly serious Dibber

Question Places that accept Travellers Cheques

A lot of questions have been asked about the use of American Express travellers cheques so I thought it might be helpful to start this thread to help show people where they can be used. So if you have been to Orlando recently with these travellers cheques please comment and tell everyone your experiences. Where does and does not accept these?

Thanks everyone.
Florida2009 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Apr 16, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Sallyjackzero
Apprentice Imagineer

We used them last year and they were widely accepted. We spent ours all throughout the Disney and Universal parks and restaurants, in several shops in the Florida mall and in the Premium outlet malls.

Off the top of my head they were accepted in Foot Locker, Nike, Adidas, Skechers, Hot Topic, Lids caps, Oakley, Elizabeth Arden, Maidenform and many others. The only place I seem to remember being refused was Lush cosmetics (but I think that was down to the young sales assistant).

We like travellers cheques and will be using them for as long as we can.

2001 - Quality Inn Plaza, International Drive
2002 - Travelodge, American Way
2009 & 2011 - Renaissance Orlando
2015 - Disney Beach Club Resort
Sallyjackzero is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 16, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Florida2009
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Sallyjackzero View Post
We used them last year and they were widely accepted. We spent ours all throughout the Disney and Universal parks and restaurants, in several shops in the Florida mall and in the Premium outlet malls.

Off the top of my head they were accepted in Foot Locker, Nike, Adidas, Skechers, Hot Topic, Lids caps, Oakley, Elizabeth Arden, Maidenform and many others. The only place I seem to remember being refused was Lush cosmetics (but I think that was down to the young sales assistant).

We like travellers cheques and will be using them for as long as we can.
Thanks. Do they still accept them in places like Walmart or target?
Florida2009 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 16, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Florida2009 View Post
Thanks. Do they still accept them in places like Walmart or target?
Yes. Next bit is not a critism as such but this thread would be better as to where does not accept them. The vast majority of places accept TC, there are only an isolated one or two places that don't.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 16, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
dmkg69
Excited about Disney

the only place we found that didnt accept them was build a bear in florida mall! and we did lots of shopping!
we usually buy our travellers cheques off the link on the american express site but notice that you can no longer buy them there
which makes me question where on earth is best to buy them now
we always take a mix of cash/card/tc and will continue to do so on our upcoming trip
dmkg69 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 16, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dinglebert View Post
Yes. Next bit is not a critism as such but this thread would be better as to where does not accept them. The vast majority of places accept TC, there are only an isolated one or two places that don't.
I agree, and people are more likely to remember the places they were refused.

Often staff say they don't accept them because they've never seen them and don't know what to do with them. They will call a manager to help if you 'persist' rather than getting cash credit card out instead.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 16, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
TeamDisney
Getting Excited

TeamDisney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by dmkg69 View Post
the only place we found that didnt accept them was build a bear in florida mall! and we did lots of shopping!
we usually buy our travellers cheques off the link on the american express site but notice that you can no longer buy them there
we always take a mix of cash/card/tc and will continue to do so on our upcoming trip
We always take a mix of travellers cheques, card and cash as well.
We still like travellers cheques.
2007,2009 Pop Century, 2010,2012,2016,2019 POFQ
TeamDisney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 16, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Cosworth
Apprentice Imagineer

I was told at a gas station that they did not accept TC's, but when I said I will go to another gas station, the manager intervened and said "of course we take them if you have ID". It just depends on the member of staff and if they are familiar with them.
Cosworth is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Apr 16, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
allycat228
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by dmkg69 View Post
You can get them from Tesco still x
allycat228 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 May 16, 05:56 AM  
Link to this Post
spestell
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We are here now and have had no problems using Amex travellers cheques. Seaworld questioned it once but when I asked for a manager they sorted it out. The girl in the till just didn't know how to do them.
spestell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread