Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 3 Sep 19, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
-kat-
Apprentice Imagineer

Castaway Cay 5K?

Hey there guys, just looking for some info regarding the 5K. I've just completed the couch to 5K program a week or so ago...yay . I'd really love to challenge myself to do the Castaway Cay one when I'm over there in October. One thing that's worrying me slightly is that I'm not good running in the heat ...is it really tough over there with the heat?
The other thing I was wondering is...sorry daft question alert...is it walkable? My hubby and daughter would love to do it but would never be able to run the entire route. They'd possibly run some of it but defo not all of it!
And lastly, what time does it start? Can we leave our 7 year old son in the kids club if we all go off to do it?

All help/advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you
Glenbrook Villa & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2007, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2009, Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011, Animal Kingdom Lodge & The Polynesian 2014, The Wedding Pavilion & The Polynesian 2016, Animal Kingdom Lodge & The Disney Dream & The Yacht Club 2018, The Disney Dream & Animal Kingdom Lodge club level 2019,
-kat- is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by -kat- View Post
Hey there guys, just looking for some info regarding the 5K. I've just completed the couch to 5K program a week or so ago...yay . I'd really love to challenge myself to do the Castaway Cay one when I'm over there in October. One thing that's worrying me slightly is that I'm not good running in the heat ...is it really tough over there with the heat?
The other thing I was wondering is...sorry daft question alert...is it walkable? My hubby and daughter would love to do it but would never be able to run the entire route. They'd possibly run some of it but defo not all of it!
And lastly, what time does it start? Can we leave our 7 year old son in the kids club if we all go off to do it?

Hi Kat
I’ve run (well jogged!) the 5k a couple of times now - once in August and once in October! DD ran it with me first time and it was definitely more of a walk than a run 😀 It was very hot so take all the water offered and just take it slowly. Jumping in to the ocean after definitely helps with re hydrating 😂 The way it worked last time was that I signed up on ship on first night and got some sort of ticket then went to an area on Castaway Cay day very early in the morning and we were first off the ship 😀😀 completely free and a lovely medal - you can buy t-shirts as well! Have an amazing time!

Edited at 05:30 PM. Reason: Spelling
Buggles94 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Mobile

Originally Posted by -kat- View Post

Ps which cruise are you on in October as we are on the Fantasy!
Buggles94 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Sep 19, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
They can absolutely walk it, lots of people will. For you, just take your time and remember, it's YOUR race, not anyone elses.

It is hot but there are water stations so grab one as you pass.

Sign up at Guest Services, drop your boy off at Scuttles Cove, then run! Children must be over 10 years old to take part ok so as long as your daughter is over 10, you're good to go. If she's not, please don't ask the Cast Member to bend the rules, it puts them in a very difficult position.

Have fun and please post a photo once you've done it!

Joa
Old 4 Sep 19, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
dietcokebreak
slightly serious Dibber

My daughter and i walked it in 2016. Neither of us are runners but wanted to do it. It was very hot but bearable and we got our medal 🙂
dietcokebreak is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 19, 07:44 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

I walked it - nowhere near a runner and to be fair super unfit as I established! It was hot and after I was ready to collapse in a heap on the floor but this was in September.
Old 5 Sep 19, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I completed C25K and ran at Castaway Cay in August. The humidity was a huge factor and it was draining but afterwards I kicked off my trainers & socks and dived straight into the ocean, it was the most blissful thing ever 😄

As Joa said, it’s your race, I saw sprinters, runners, walkers and joggers so just go at whatever pace suits you

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 19, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

I did this last Friday as my graduation run on C25K.

I signed up in the cruise terminal before boarding.

They gave staggered race times over half an hour, mine was 8:45am and it was already hot!

There are plenty of water stations but it turns out you can drink too much though and by the end my hands had swollen and looked like balloons, so I’d say drink what you need but don’t push yourself to drink too much, let your body guide you. I was worried about getting dehydrated so drank a lot.

Children had to be ten to sign up and get a number and medal. They did say though that everyone is allowed to walk/run the course but they don’t allow buggies. There were lots of younger children on the course.

I hadn’t realised that there weren’t showers to use ashore so ended up changing in the toilets and getting straight in the sea.

I was able to grab a banana before the restaurants opened, but otherwise breakfast isn’t available.

You could go back aboard to shower and get breakfast. Remember a carrier bag for your sweaty clothes if not going back on the ship straight away.

Remember bug spray, I got bitten whilst running, and the bites were through my leggings! After the race I saw online that lots of people had the same thing and were suffering with bites. Maybe sweat attracts the bugs?
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 19, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
I was able to grab a banana before the restaurants opened, but otherwise breakfast isn’t available.
I ordered a really early room service breakfast that day and then ate that in the room
Old 6 Sep 19, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
Or take something from breakfast the day before and store it in your room. We do this for the debarkation morning - bowls, cereal boxes, milk and spoons.