Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 24 Nov 19, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
cherries
Trying for More Ears

Boston/Canada

hi we flying into Boston next year for a road trip, we are thinking about driving over niagara falls into Canada, do you need a visa or will passports and usa esta be enough. Have been told you only need a visa if you are flying into Canada, so a bit unsure. Thanks...
cherries is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 19, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

I think you only need the Canadian ETA when flying in. However, for the low cost I'd possibly just get one anyway.

You will need to do a old-style Visa-waiver on your return to the US. Your ESTA won't cover it. You'll have to pull over and go into a processing centre. It doesn't take long and costs about $6 each.

The drive through Vermont is lovely so I recommend that. We took the car ferry over Lake Champain and it was really nice. I'd say its worth crossing into Cananda and checking out Montreal and Toronto, and maybe Ottawa if you have time.
Old 24 Nov 19, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Mobile

I agree with everything Neil said including going to Ottawa and Montreal if you have time .
You may get pulled over for extra questions at the border we did so build that into your day.
The officer was nice and quite humorous when my DH said we were going over to the US to shop ( we went from CA to Us on the niagara side)he said “ yep I always blame the wife too !
We did wait about an hour as it was busy.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 19, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Astrid
Imagineer

Astrid's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I got a Canadian visa when we crossed the board by road to visit Montreal from New York, as NeilHD says for the cost involved I’d get one anyway to save an inconvenience.

October '89 - Quality Inn; March '99 & March '01 - Comfort Inn LBV; March '02 - ASMu; May '03 - Royal Plaza, Hard Rock & Polynesian;
December '03 - Grand Marriot, Hard Rock & Dolphin; May '04 - Dolphin & WDW Yacht Club
October '05 - Hard Rock & Villa; May/June '07 - Villa & RPH; Feb '09 - Villa; Oct/Nov '13 - Villa
April '18 - Hard Rock; Sept ‘19 - Villa
Astrid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 19, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We flew into Seattle and crossed into Canada via Amtrak. We didn’t have a ETA and it was fine. We flew back to Seattle from Calgary and still didn’t need one. It’s only if flying INTO Canada.
Twiggy1953 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 19, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Hudson
Imagineer

In August we drove over to Canada and back at Niagare Falls no problem...no extra visas required. Eta only needed when flying in. Entering Canada by land or sea a eta isn't necessary
Hudson is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List