Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 30 Nov 19, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile How Much Do You Spend On Your Kids at Christmas?

Really intrigued to see what others do at Christmas. I have 3 kids and a large family (kids) so Xmas can be really expensive. I often find I spend a lot of money for the sake of it and have decided to really tone it down this year. I’m just interested what others do and how much seems to be the “right” amount!
2018 - Villa in Davenport
2022 - Blue Tree Resort
disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 19, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I’ve spent £200 on main presents this year and another £100-£150 on bits. Last year they got new iPads as main presents so was more expensive. Oldest asked for a gaming pc for over £2500! He got told to take a run and jump! To which he replied “well I can’t run or jump mother I’m in a wheelchair” 😂🙈
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 19, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

This Christmas... too much - but they are both (DDs 17 and 19) off to uni in September and want a decent-ish laptop each. So Laptop (£400) small bits and bobs - makeup and chocolate and a scarf (£30 tops).

As they get older the pile gets smaller and more expensive! I expect we have a very costly year coming up...
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 19, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
minnie29
Apprentice Imagineer

Usually depends on what they want, and which child it is. Our 14 year old boy normally wants a new console, some years just games. sometimes we can spend 3-400 on him and the 4 year old can have £100 spent on her and it looks like she’s got way more than her 14 year old brother. My eldest is now 21 and doesn’t live at home anymore - she’ll be getting £100 in a card this year. The 14 year old is getting £100 in a card this year too. We are going to Florida just after Christmas Day, so that’s the Main present this year, the 4 year old will get £100 worth of presents.
They were actually meant to be staying at home while me and DH flew out for 5 nights for him to do the Dopey challenge. In the end we decided to just do 13 nights and bring them with us so that’s way enough of a present.

ETA: really just depends on where we are financially as well. If we can afford it we’ll spend a bit more. But, £100 each is plenty in my opinion

Edited at 10:08 AM.
minnie29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 19, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

I have set a limit of £200 each on my kids this year. Since losing my hubby family finances have changed drastically and luckily my 2 are older and know that I still need my holidays 😉
But I would say spend what you feel comfortable with spending 😀
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 19, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Most years it’s about £200 each, as they’re now 16 and 14 it’s getting harder to get a decent amount of presents for that money though! One year they got iPad minis so obviously went over that amount. To be fair my kids don’t ‘need’ anything so I won’t spend for the sake of it. My DD is now working part time and has plenty of her own money (more than me!) so if she wants something she just buys it herself

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

I don't think there is a "right" amount. I know when my DD was little I rarely spent more than £100 on her pressies (and sometimes it was a lot less than that, it depended on what was on her list ). Its been maybe double that in the last few years as she went into teenage years and trainers, luxury make-up and skincare crept onto the list.
With the other children in my family (nieces) I do have a rough budget in mind, but if I find the perfect pressie and its cheaper, I won't buy other stuff just to round up to the maximum of my budget.

Some will spend less, some will spend more, we all must just do what we feel comfortable with.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Nov 19, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
We have a limit of £200 - £100 cash and £100 in presents (they are 13 and 11). However, we don’t tend to wait for Christmas, and buy items throughout the year for when they are needed. Works for us.
Old 30 Nov 19, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

as others say there is no right amount - my eldest two are earning so can and do spend on themselves a lot so dont 'need ' anything . My eldest surprised me with a very small inexpensive list so rather pleased about that - middle son wants money to save for house deposit so its just my 17 year old. He will get driving lessons plus some brand bits my sister is bringing over from Boston which looks like I have spent more than I have !I wont spend more than £200 each this year and the stockings also will not be full of useless tat like normal.
Old 30 Nov 19, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
skb 123
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I try to stick to £200 max each for DS 21 and DD 15 as I prefer to get them things they "need" as and when throughout the year. Although we have no struggles financially, I do my best to find the biggest bargains so they appear to be getting more for Christmas! So far I have:
Xbox game (bought with Sainsburys double up Nectar voucher)
Aftershave (from Boots during fragrance promotion with extra money off and double points coupon)
Top Man jeans (25% off and student discount) - so gets 2 pairs
Curling wand - 40% off in Black Friday sale
Skincare and make up - BF sale and further new customer discount

If I feel they didn't get enough presents or hadnt asked for much, I might top up with some cash for spending in the sales.
skb 123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List