Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 May 20, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
An idea for Yosemite visits - wish I was there now

If during lockdown you are looking for some inspiration for trips to Yosemite or perhaps are just missing it after a previous visit or sadly unable to travel there at the moment have a look at this website. Some wonderful panoramas - just don't get me started on how people got to the top of Half Dome wearing trainers - not sensible at all.

virtualyosemite/

Let me know what you think when you get time.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 20, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Thanks for sharing, just made myself a cuppa and spent 30 minutes exploring Yosemite again. It was lovely to see the area at the foot of Half Dome where we had our picnic. Such great memories. Yosemite is one of the most amazing places I have ever visited and I will never forget waking up in the morning and stepping out of our cabin and taking in the fresh mountain air and the seeing the sun hitting El Capitan. The Grand Canyon was breathtaking as well but there was just something so special about Yosemite.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 20, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
Thanks for sharing, just made myself a cuppa and spent 30 minutes exploring Yosemite again. It was lovely to see the area at the foot of Half Dome where we had our picnic. Such great memories. Yosemite is one of the most amazing places I have ever visited and I will never forget waking up in the morning and stepping out of our cabin and taking in the fresh mountain air and the seeing the sun hitting El Capitan. The Grand Canyon was breathtaking as well but there was just something so special about Yosemite.

Thank you - what a great way to spend 30 minutes and so pleased you enjoyed it. There is something so, so special which is almost ethereal about Yosemite that can't be explained.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 20, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

On a dry sunny day trainers, why not. Comfortable and good grip and most of it is easy going. We spent 3 days there great place.
Now if you watch free solo with the guys climbing El Capitan no ropes , now that is bonkers !
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 May 20, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
On a dry sunny day trainers, why not. Comfortable and good grip and most of it is easy going. We spent 3 days there great place.
Now if you watch free solo with the guys climbing El Capitan no ropes , now that is bonkers !

As you probably know it really isn't recommended to climb Half Dome wearing trainers especially when you get to the section where the cables are - you must have been really lucky to get the permits in the draw to climb up to the top of HD. Well done.

The walk up to Vernal Falls and down the John Muir Trail is another popular route and so is Four Mile Trail up to Glacier Pointwith fantastic views but that really pulls on the calves in places.

Having done Clouds Rest I wouldn't have liked to have done that without decent boots.

I have seen Free Solo and Dawn Wall I agree total bonkers especially for the sleeping arrangements.

Edited at 11:09 PM.
Old 24 May 20, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi again we did the vernal falls route as well, great morning. They should probably make it a one way system As once you get to the large stone section Passing is awkward.
We only had 3 n there and would intend to go back again and also back to Yellowstone which was fantastic in a whole different way. To see a heard of 700 bison on a prairie by a river was something we’ll never forget.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Hi again we did the vernal falls route as well, great morning. They should probably make it a one way system As once you get to the large stone section Passing is awkward.
We only had 3 n there and would intend to go back again and also back to Yellowstone which was fantastic in a whole different way. To see a heard of 700 bison on a prairie by a river was something we’ll never forget.
I agree it gets so busy on some trails that's why they introduced permits for Half Dome so they could limit the numbers - passing someone on Half Dome could mean a very nasty (if not fatal) accident. At least there are many walks in Yosemite for people who are unable to contemplate the more strenuous ones -Mirror Lake for instance. And its great that everyone can access Glacier Point which is one of the highlights of the Park.

I forgot to say if you ever go to Zion NP and like hiking try the Angels Landing't but if you don't like heights don't do it. It is a proper climb not a trail walk so not suitable for everyone. Have only done it once many years ago and that was enough - personally I don't think it is as enjoyable as the Yosemite walks because you are too busy concentrating on what you are doing rather than enjoying the scenery.

Even if it isn't on the radar have a look at the Landing on You Tube - I can guarantee you will have an OMG moment or two (and also depending on what broadcast you watch there will be what the ... is that idiot doing).
Old 3 Jun 20, 11:25 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Love the look of that but think wife would have a Canary. If you have never been to Yellowstone we would highly recommend you put it in your plans. It’s a massive park where you need to drive to different parts and then go for walks. For us it was the mountain passes and the wildlife that we thought was awesome. At one point we saw a herd of approx 800 bison, a grizzly and cub, black bear and 2 cubs, elk ,moose, coyote and more. Mind you there are warning signs to make plenty of noise on walks so as not to startle wildlife ,bears in particular and for this reason if doing any walks in quieter areas bear spray is essential.
Old 4 Jun 20, 06:48 AM  
Link to this Post
fiona88
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thank you for sharing, will check it out later on my lunch break.
As for trainers, it's just as bad here people tackling Ben Nevis and Snowdon in trainers, almost as if there aren't such shoes exactly for the purpose of hiking, trainers give no proper support. My cadet and DofE days make me shudder when I see it. "And how many people do you risk when Mountain Rescue need to come get you when you snap your ankles?" 😡
Old 16 Apr 24, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Love the look of that but think wife would have a Canary. If you have never been to Yellowstone we would highly recommend you put it in your plans. It’s a massive park where you need to drive to different parts and then go for walks. For us it was the mountain passes and the wildlife that we thought was awesome. At one point we saw a herd of approx 800 bison, a grizzly and cub, black bear and 2 cubs, elk ,moose, coyote and more. Mind you there are warning signs to make plenty of noise on walks so as not to startle wildlife ,bears in particular and for this reason if doing any walks in quieter areas bear spray is essential.

Found this old thread by accident - I made it to Yellowstone in July/Aug 2022 and as you say it was stunning. I managed the Mount Washburn trail on a beautiful summers day and the views/wildlife were amazing and so was Hayden Valley with the herds of bison. Lamar Valley was mainly closed at the time due to the huge floods which happened the day after I booked my flights as a side trip from Seattle when I was there to visit Boeing at Everett We were fortunate that some of the roads from Grand Teton NP and West Yelllowstone had opened as had the hotels (only just though)

You've reminded me I need to finish of the TR https://DIBB.in/15643616 I don't normally do them and forgot all about it.