Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 23 Jun 19, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Donegal_Guy
VIP Dibber

Donegal_Guy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Mobile So annoyed - Hidden Disability Lanyard

Hi all - can anyone help us please... is there anywhere In Orlando that we can pick up a hidden Disability lanyard. We have just checked in at Belfast airport and despite having emails and phone calls where they stayed they didn’t have to keep a lanyard for us as they never run out they don’t have any... My partner has severe nerve damage in her back but tries not to use a wheelchair if she can at all. The hidden Disability lanyard would be ideal for us and we were trying so hard to get one organized. So back to my original question - is there anywhere in a Orlando that a lanyard can be picked up...
DLRP NEW YORK HOTEL 2009
DLRP DISNEYLAND HOTEL 2010
Glenbrook Resort Florida 2012
Glenbrook Resort Florida 2014
Glenbrook DIBB Villa Florida 2015
Glenbrook DIBB Villa Florida 2017
Glenbrook DIBB Villa Florida 2019
Hampton Lakes DIBB Villa 2022
Donegal_Guy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 19, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Just wondering what the plan is for using the lanyard? They are only recognised at the airport and so you would only get help on the way back. If you are looking to use it at the parks this isn't what you need. You would need to talk to guest services in the park and they should be able to sort you out a disability pass. The lanyard is just for getting through the airports and although useful is probably not what you are looking for. That said if that is what you are after then there should be a assistance desk at Orlando airport that can help you with the return trip at least.
Old 23 Jun 19, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
scojos
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Have u booked assistance with ur flight?
That should be enough.
I messaged mco and they said just to approach someone in black and gold (called greeters i believe) for assistance if needed.
scojos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Lemmonie
Excited about Disney

Agreed you shouldnt need one to be fair. They didnt exist till recently and we have always alerted the airlines that we have an autistic child with us and always asked for support at the airports and they are always been fabulous help (gatwick, MCO and Sanford)
Lemmonie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

I also thought they were for autism really so the security staff would understand a child needing extra consideration during screening. I am not sure how it would help with a physical problem.
Old 24 Jun 19, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
TeeKayDawn
slightly serious Dibber

I hope I don't sound rude and I don't want to get into a debate, but the Sunflower lanyard is not just for children who have Autism. It is meant for ALL passengers that may have a hidden disability for whatever reason.

Autism is a lifelong condition where coping mechanisms can be learned depending on severity. Unfortunately there are a lot of parents who allow children a 'meltdown' rather than working with the child to develop coping mechanisms to deal with certain situations. I say this as someone with a brother who is now in his 50's and was branded a 'naughty child' as a youngster as autism wasn't really a 'thing' unless very severe (I'm talking mute where communication was limited).

Anyway to get back to whether the OP needs a lanyard, to say people don't think they should need one, or should contact the airlines. Visit most airport websites about the lanyard and what it is used for. Most say it is available to ALL passengers who feel they need one, and most also say you don't need to pre-arrange special assistance and they should be available at the airport. Therefore I would be annoyed to and it wasn't available, there should at least have been some other system in place as a back-up.

Now unfortunately I don't know if there is something similar at MCO for coming back, the only advice would be to contact the airport and find out.
TeeKayDawn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Lemmonie
Excited about Disney

But what we said is thathidden disabilities (and not hidden) existed long before the lanyard scheme and in fact it is a very very recent programme that isnt yet used everywhere and as such the airline AND the airport should be able to provide whatever assistance is required but you need to ask.
Even WITH a lanyard i still ask in advance for support through the aiport and onto the plane. I do not expect the lanyard to deliver anything other than some understanding if we need to stop sit down, kick off, go slow or whatever.
Lemmonie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
TeeKayDawn
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lemmonie View Post
But what we said is thathidden disabilities (and not hidden) existed long before the lanyard scheme and in fact it is a very very recent programme that isnt yet used everywhere and as such the airline AND the airport should be able to provide whatever assistance is required but you need to ask.
Even WITH a lanyard i still ask in advance for support through the aiport and onto the plane. I do not expect the lanyard to deliver anything other than some understanding if we need to stop sit down, kick off, go slow or whatever.
I agree no one should need a lanyard and that it should be something provided no matter what on request.
However, there seems a misconception, not necessarily your post, that they should only be used for children, specifically autism.

As someone battling pain on a daily basis I think these systems are great when implemented however they are very open to abuse. See my thoughts on DAS although not much you can do unless an international law is made!
TeeKayDawn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Sorry if I am being thick - I don’t have any personal experience of this. What do the lanyards achieve? I thought they were for those who needed a calmer environment (eg autism) or with something like Crohn’s where you might need to leave the queue to use the loo urgently. I didn’t realise they included those who might need mobility assistance too?

I have always prebooked mobility assistance on trains for my parents. My dad is 87 and can’t walk long distances or stand for a long time. He doesn’t normally use a chair or scooter. However, at the station he is met by a man driving a little buggy who takes him to the special waiting room, then to the train.

Is that not more helpful for the OP’s situation? I know airports do the same but you have to pre book.
Other parks: Tokyo

Edited at 03:25 PM.
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jun 19, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
TeeKayDawn
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Sorry if I am being thick - I don’t have any personal experience of this. What do the lanyards achieve? I thought they were for those who needed a calmer environment (eg autism) or with something like Crohn’s where you might need to leave the queue to use the loo urgently. I didn’t realise they included those who might need mobility assistance too?

I have always precooked mobility assistance on trains for my parents. My dad is 87 and can’t walk long distances or stand for a long time. He doesn’t normally use a chair or scooter. However, at the station he is met by a man driving a little buggy who takes him to the special waiting room, then to the train.

Is that not more helpful for the OP’s situation? I know airports do the same but you have to pre book.
I think the way they are spoken about on the forum as well as condition specific forums seems to point to people thinking they are just for children specifically children with autism. But you are correct that they are for anyone that has issues with queuing, whether it be from a mental or physical point of view.

Not all physical disabilities require the use of a wheelchair and that includes nerve problems.

I have a condition that is progressive, will mean I will need a wheelchair permanently at some point in the future, but I refuse to use one now even though I can’t stand for long.
I don’t use the lanyard but may in future. However I shouldn’t be forced to use a wheelchair anymore than someone should be forced to endure queuing with a condition like autism