Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 19 Mar 20, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
julie b
Imagineer

Cruise

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a balcony room and a stateroom on a carnival cruise...

I have a balcony room booked but they sent an email saying we could upgrade to a stateroom for $24...
julie b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 20, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Not really a cruise expert having only done about 6 but in my experience I thought that "stateroom" was cruise language for "cabin" of any grade. We always book a balcony cabin (sorry stateroom ) and the upgrade from that is usually a junior (aka small) suite.

Mick
Old 19 Mar 20, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
julie b
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Not really a cruise expert having only done about 6 but in my experience I thought that "stateroom" was cruise language for "cabin" of any grade. We always book a balcony cabin (sorry stateroom ) and the upgrade from that is usually a junior (aka small) suite.

Mick
So basically same room...no point then.don’t get The point of it then...thanks for reply...
julie b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 20, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by julie b View Post
So basically same room...no point then.don’t get The point of it then...thanks for reply...
I'm a bit confused to be honest. We went on Carnival Glory about 15 years ago and I've just been on their website. You can search "staterooms" and there's a choice of interior, ocean view, balcony and suite.

It sounds like an error to me. I think they are offering a suite as an upgrade not a stateroom

carnival/cruise-ship...val-glory.aspx

Click on staterooms under the photo

Mick

Edited at 05:25 PM.
mick is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 20, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
julie b
Imagineer

I'm a bit confused to be honest. We went on Carnival Glory about 15 years ago and I've just been on their website. You can search "staterooms" and there's a choice of interior, ocean view, balcony and suite.

It sounds like an error to me. I think they are offering a suite as an upgrade not a stateroom

Mick
Hi
We’re going on carnival conquest in sept..(hopefully)..email says upgrade your balcony.? Only $24?
We already have a balcony room booked...
Old 19 Mar 20, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
June8th
Apprentice Imagineer

The upgrade might just be where the cabin is on the ship.
We are quite picky about the area around ( don’t like under the pool or bars etc) so don’t accept upgrades automatically.
Ask them which cabin they are offering.
The closer to the middle, the higher the grade.
June8th is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Mar 20, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
julie b
Imagineer

Mick
Tells me I’ve got
Room ..balcony
Deck...lido
Location... middle
Room...9271

So not sure what it’s trying to upgrade me too...but definitely says upgrade your balcony room...
Old 19 Mar 20, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
julie b
Imagineer

Originally Posted by June8th View Post
The upgrade might just be where the cabin is on the ship.
We are quite picky about the area around ( don’t like under the pool or bars etc) so don’t accept upgrades automatically.
Ask them which cabin they are offering.
The closer to the middle, the higher the grade.
I’ve got
Room ..balcony
Deck...lido
Location ..middle
Room...9271.
Old 19 Mar 20, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by julie b View Post
I’ve got
Room ..balcony
Deck...lido
Location ..middle
Room...9271.
On all of our 6 cruises (2 each on Carnival, Princess and RCI) we've always gone for a deck with other cabins above and below and mid-aft. Nothing scientific about mid-aft but it's usually where the buffet is on the higher deck where we eat 80% of our meals. Not far to walk from cabin to lift which usually opens in the lobby at the buffet entrance.

Always choose between cabin decks because usually quieter sitting out on balcony.

As june8th says they probably have different price grades for balcony cabin locations

Mick