Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 5 Apr 20, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile Making vegetarian gravy

Help me Dibbers who can actually cook!

Went out to Sainsbury’s yesterday for the first time in nine days to get our ‘weekly’ shop.

There was only one thing I really had to get and couldn’t which was vegetarian gravy granules.

How could I ‘make’ some? Is it even possible.

It’s going to be a dry old roast for my vegetarian daughter tonight otherwise 😂
Old 5 Apr 20, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Not much help but because I suppose you already know but I was surprised to find that all bisto granules are vegetarian friendly. I don't like them but my son's girlfriend was vegetarian when they first met and she told me that.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 20, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I use the bbc good food recipe with out the marmite makes a fair bit but I freeze it in small quantities for or veggie have been known to use it for sheapards pie as well
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 20, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
bbcgoodfood/recipes/veggie-gravy Haven’t tried it so no idea if it’s any good or not.
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 20, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Mobile

Make a cheese sauce instead. Yum!
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Apr 20, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I never knew there was a food section on the Dibb so thanks to whoever moved this across

Thank you all VERY much for giving me lots of ideas!

Rac20 - she doesn’t like cheese (annoyingly! ) but that is a great idea!

Vinniecat- I don’t think I did realise that!

Off to look at all the recipes
Old 6 Apr 20, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

ive used this onion gravy recipe from delia in the past... just have to remember to use hendo's instead of lea and perrins if you want it to be proper vegetarian

deliaonline/recipes/...es/onion-gravy
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 20, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Edna Cloud
Apprentice Imagineer

Every now and then, I roast a tray of shallots in the oven and when they are nice and brown and crispy, i deglaze the roasting pan with homemade vegetable stock and add this to a basic roux (fat/flour). It makes a very decent vegetarian "gravy" which I freeze in ice cube trays because my DD only needs two cubes per roast and it would be too much faff to make every time. If I need it to be gluten free, i just thicken with cornflour slurry instead of a roux base.
Edna Cloud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 20, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Did you know that the red Bisto gravy is vegan?
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 20, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by COL41 View Post
Did you know that the red Bisto gravy is vegan?
have you got a source for this? i was lead to believe it wasnt... its safe for veggies, and vegans who arent overly strict, but calling it vegan is wrong...

*edit*
veganfriendly.uk/is-it-vegan/bisto/
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List