Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Apr 20, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by Milpston View Post
Thank you very much for that. I initially was thinking SF, Yosemite, Monterey as well as Disney universal etc. It was only when I started to get to grips with the distances and driving times I realised it would be too much for the kids. This is why I kind of think 4-5 days in each area would be a minimum and try and keep the driving down to 4-5 hours each time. (Thinking early starts with the kids asleep and giving them breakfast half way &#128514
It’s a very tough one narrowing things down. We also did Vegas and Death Valley which added a lot of driving.

But if you have 14 days I think that would be good for just West Coast only...

Yosemite is a must for us but is a fair detour if you are planning on driving down the PCH. Maybe not if you also include Sequoia national park and not do the coast road.

Or maybe an excuse to go back when kids are older and easier driving with them.

We had early starts on travel days to get to next destination midday or early afternoon. Often picking up breakfast on way! If you can get an hour or so with the kids asleep then perfect!

Edited at 06:34 PM.
miked1e is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Apr 20, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by miked1e View Post
It’s a very tough one narrowing things down. We also did Vegas and Death Valley which added a lot of driving.

But if you have 14 days I think that would be good for just West Coast only...

Yosemite is a must for us but is a fair detour if you are planning on driving down the PCH. Maybe not if you also include Sequoia national park and not do the coast road.

Or maybe an excuse to go back when kids are older and easier driving with them.

We had early starts on travel days to get to next destination midday or early afternoon. Often picking up breakfast on way! If you can get an hour or so with the kids asleep then perfect!
You’re right. We can’t expect to do it all so will likely go back further down the line.
We were never going to do Vegas. I have been but the wife never has. My 18 year old step daughter and bf are very keen on seeing it even though I have made them fully aware they would not get the full experience being under 21. It seems easy to slip in along with Disney so that’s why it’s included. It’s also unlikely the wife and I will be able to palm the youngest two off for long enough to do it on our own and any point in the foreseeable.
I will have to read up on Sam Diego though in case that completely changes the plan again.
The wife and eldest have also become very keen on a stay in the Beverly Hills area after watching some vlogs 😂
August 2021 - Anthem of the seas UK mini cruise Trip report *completed*
Vegas/LA Aug 22 - Trip Report In Progress
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 20, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
You’re right. We can’t expect to do it all so will likely go back further down the line.
We were never going to do Vegas. I have been but the wife never has. My 18 year old step daughter and bf are very keen on seeing it even though I have made them fully aware they would not get the full experience being under 21. It seems easy to slip in along with Disney so that’s why it’s included. It’s also unlikely the wife and I will be able to palm the youngest two off for long enough to do it on our own and any point in the foreseeable.
I will have to read up on Sam Diego though in case that completely changes the plan again.
The wife and eldest have also become very keen on a stay in the Beverly Hills area after watching some vlogs 😂
There is not too much to do on the drive from Vegas to LA and can take up to 5/6 hours if you include the traffic in and around LA. We did this the other way round and took in some (about 30 miles) of Route 66 with a couple of stops.

Of course, whilst a small detour many people may also do Palm Springs on this route... Never done it.

West Coast / PCH is a nice drive with a lot of stops and options for stopping for 1-2 nights which is exciting.

No recommendations for stopping in Beverley Hills area, but it is a really great place to drive around and walk down Rodeo Drive...

We stayed in Santa Monica which we found was a great base for exploring, being right next to the beach / pier was lovely. Was only 25-30 min drive to the sights and sounds of Hollywood / Beverley Hills / Universal / WB Studios etc.

Our plan was heavily influenced by the Phil Emma and Ben vlogs, but in reverse. Worth a watch.
Old 21 Apr 20, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Sorry but I think your itinerary might be too ambitious with young children. So much driving involved. I’d recommend flying into SF, maybe 2 nights here, then drive down the Pacific Coast to LA (stop overnight enroute).

Disney, universal theme parks etc.

Then drive to SAN Diego. We absolutely loved it. On our short list for places to live if we win the lottery.
You can easily spend a week or more here. Lots for the kids to do - as previous posters said & beaches to relax, after your hectic 1st week. Lol.
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 20, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

There is not too much to do on the drive from Vegas to LA and can take up to 5/6 hours if you include the traffic in and around LA. We did this the other way round and took in some (about 30 miles) of Route 66 with a couple of stops.

Of course, whilst a small detour many people may also do Palm Springs on this route... Never done it.

West Coast / PCH is a nice drive with a lot of stops and options for stopping for 1-2 nights which is exciting.

No recommendations for stopping in Beverley Hills area, but it is a really great place to drive around and walk down Rodeo Drive...

We stayed in Santa Monica which we found was a great base for exploring, being right next to the beach / pier was lovely. Was only 25-30 min drive to the sights and sounds of Hollywood / Beverley Hills / Universal / WB Studios etc.

Our plan was heavily influenced by the Phil Emma and Ben vlogs, but in reverse. Worth a watch.
I did read that you can see a bit of Route 66. I hadn’t thought of Palm Springs and I as, probably a lot of people, know the name but have no idea what it is so I will have a look at that too.
I considered Santa Monica. How did you find it? I did a bit of reading about safety in the area etc and read lots of comments saying that Venice beach is not a very safe place especially at night? Also read that Santa Monica and Venice are pretty much merged into one and as a complete newbie didn’t want to end up on an undesirable area. Probably wouldn’t care if it was just the wife and I. That was what turned me on to Beverley hills as it seems to have the reputation as the safest area in low Angeles... accommodation is very pricey which initially scared me off. A decent house with everything we want seems to run to about £500 per night but then when I started looking at the price of hotels and what we would get for our money (bearing in mind we would need two rooms) it actually put the villa price in perspective a little.
I will definitely have a look at the vlog you have suggested. We love our vlogs and have struggled to find good ones for the west coast ... we watch dozens for Florida!

Edited at 10:04 AM.
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 20, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Originally Posted by disneywiseowl View Post
Sorry but I think your itinerary might be too ambitious with young children. So much driving involved. I’d recommend flying into SF, maybe 2 nights here, then drive down the Pacific Coast to LA (stop overnight enroute).

Disney, universal theme parks etc.

Then drive to SAN Diego. We absolutely loved it. On our short list for places to live if we win the lottery.
You can easily spend a week or more here. Lots for the kids to do - as previous posters said & beaches to relax, after your hectic 1st week. Lol.
Don’t apologise, I’m grateful of opinions or I would not have asked for them.
I may have this wrong but from what I’d looked at I though the drive from San Fran was actually longer than the one from Vegas.
I don’t really want to spend any less than 4-5 days in one place so as to not have too may travel days. For some reason I thought Vegas to Anahem was doable in one hit with a 6am start and san Franciso wouldn’t be... admittedly I was looking at Yosemite too at that point.
The Vegas ball has started rolling slightly. I have been before but the wife and eldest haven’t and seem very keen. The other 3 and a half weeks will all be planned around the youngest two so I wouldn’t be too worried. However, I have had a few people say I have to go to San Diego so I really need and will look into that properly to see if it can change my mind.
Doing a coastal trip would bring dolphin whale back into the picture and I know the wife and I could do a shark cage dive in San Diego so that could have an influence!
It’s really tough starting with complete ignorance and a blank page! 😂
Thank you

Edited at 10:14 AM.
Old 21 Apr 20, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
I did read that you can see a bit of Route 66. I hadn’t thought of Palm Springs and I as, probably a lot of people, know the name but have no idea what it is so I will have a look at that too.
I considered Santa Monica. How did you find it? I did a bit of reading about safety in the area etc and read lots of comments saying that Venice beach is not a very safe place especially at night? Also read that Santa Monica and Venice are pretty much merged into one and as a complete newbie didn’t want to end up on an undesirable area. Probably wouldn’t care if it was just the wife and I. That was what turned me on to Beverley hills as it seems to have the reputation as the safest area in low Angeles... accommodation is very pricey which initially scared me off. A decent house with everything we want seems to run to about £500 per night but then when I started looking at the price of hotels and what we would get for our money (bearing in mind we would need two rooms) it actually put the villa price in perspective a little.
I will definitely have a look at the vlog you have suggested. We love our vlogs and have struggled to find good ones for the west coast ... we watch dozens for Florida!
Don't know much about Palm Springs either TBH but I know people have mentioned and is kind of on thew way between the 2.

Santa Monica was lovely... It does merge with Venice Beach but if near the pier, then it is about 1.5 miles walk to the main area of Venice Beach... we did this on our first night and it took us about 45 minutes. So you don't have to go anywhere near that area.

However, we stayed in a hotel so unsure about the options for bigger accommodation for the 6(? ) of you.

If you like Disney vlogs and have never seen Phil, Emma and Ben then you are in for a treat. Think the title of the channel is now Phill, Emma, Ben and Polly. We basically did something similar to their Cali vlog but the other way round.

Here is my trip report if this helps:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...d.php?t=975056
Old 26 Apr 20, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Mobile

Don't know much about Palm Springs either TBH but I know people have mentioned and is kind of on thew way between the 2.

Santa Monica was lovely... It does merge with Venice Beach but if near the pier, then it is about 1.5 miles walk to the main area of Venice Beach... we did this on our first night and it took us about 45 minutes. So you don't have to go anywhere near that area.

However, we stayed in a hotel so unsure about the options for bigger accommodation for the 6(? ) of you.

If you like Disney vlogs and have never seen Phil, Emma and Ben then you are in for a treat. Think the title of the channel is now Phill, Emma, Ben and Polly. We basically did something similar to their Cali vlog but the other way round.

Here is my trip report if this helps:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...d.php?t=975056
Thank you very much. I have watched Phil, Emma and ben’s vlog and it has given me lots of food for thought.
Will be onto you trip report next but have just found out my laptop has come to the end of its life 😂
August 2021 - Anthem of the seas UK mini cruise Trip report *completed*
Vegas/LA Aug 22 - Trip Report In Progress