Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 11 May 20, 01:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

meal ideas for gallbladder pain

My Dad who is 82 has been suffering terribly from what the doctor suspects is gallbladder related pain. I have advised him that he needs to avoid fat in his diet but am struggling for meal ideas. Unfortunately I don't think he grasps the connection between what he eats and the exacerbation of the pain. He called me yesterday to tell me he was feeling a lot better (he hadn't really eaten for a couple of days) then my mum called me later to ask me if I could get him more painkillers. When I asked what he had eaten she said a crisp sandwich! Anyhow could anyone who has experience of this pain give me some meal ideas before I go shopping today.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 20, 02:09 AM  
Link to this Post

Sorry to hear that. Gallbladder pain can be horrid. Esp if you have vomiting with it too. Hope he is able to get some relief soon.

In terms of what to eat, I can tell you best what I had to avoid.

Hot pastry, fried eggs and roast potatoes, and hot cheese, eg pizza etc. Cold cheese wasn't so bad. Appreciate that is more ingredients than whole meals though.

Also ate little and often and bland when it was at its worst.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 20, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
StorybookCircus
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

While I was waiting to have my gallbladder removed I was advised to only eat foods with less than 3% fat per 100 grams. No meal suggestions as I don’t know what your father likes (except crisp sandwiches!) but be prepared for a lot of label-checking!
StorybookCircus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 20, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

My mom has the same problem, her Dr prescribed her Omiperzole? it’s a stomach liner that helps a lot, she takes it every other day usually but every day if she has a flare up, she also has to avoid fatty foods, when she has a flare up it’s almost always because she’s had something off the ‘banned’ list, she does generally stick to meat and 2 veg but complains it’s boring!
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 20, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Thank you everyone, I will advise that he just eats lean meat and vegetables. If I buy anything else I will check labels when I do the shopping. I must say I was rather surprised to hear he had eaten a crisp sandwich. I don't think I have ever known him eat one before so to eat one at the moment just baffles me. He has been prescribed some antibiotics and he is having a further blood test this week as last weeks blood results had some abnormalities. It is very difficult not being able to go to the doctor with him as he gets a bit muddled by what they are saying.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 20, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loulou127 View Post
My mom has the same problem, her Dr prescribed her Omiperzole? it’s a stomach liner that helps a lot, she takes it every other day usually but every day if she has a flare up, she also has to avoid fatty foods, when she has a flare up it’s almost always because she’s had something off the ‘banned’ list, she does generally stick to meat and 2 veg but complains it’s boring!
Thank you, he was prescribed omeprazole about three weeks ago which has helped a little.
Old 11 May 20, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
nothingless
Very Serious Dibber

I know this may be hard for him to switch to, but what really helped me personally, was going vegan. I cut all meat and animal products from my diet, and ate plant based only. That was a huge help to me, my tummy is much better able to digest any fats from that than meat! Even if he can't give up the idea of meat, maybe he could try eating plant-based burgers or nuggets etc instead for a few weeks to see if it helps?
nothingless is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 20, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
WDWlover
Proud to wear my Ears

I had to cut out most dairy completely as that was one thing that set the pain off quite badly. A really low fat diet is best and food that is easily digested. Once I had had my gallbladder removed (11 years ago) I can now eat dairy but not too much as it does leave you with some issues.

Hope he is feeling much better soon.
WDWlover is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 20, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Thank you for the replies. I am going to buy some plant based burgers tomorrow I think he might quite like those and my mum has thrown away his Philadelphia cheese. I have one more question. Does anyone know, are eggs usually OK to eat?
Old 12 May 20, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
WDWlover
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

I found Eggs ok but not too many. I would limit them due to cholesterol in yolk. Another thing to avoid is spicy food.
Originally Posted by Vinniecat View Post
Thank you for the replies. I am going to buy some plant based burgers tomorrow I think he might quite like those and my mum has thrown away his Philadelphia cheese. I have one more question. Does anyone know, are eggs usually OK to eat?
WDWlover is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List