Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 11 May 20, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
MissPiggy2012
VIP Dibber

What would you do - Nov booking

So we have booked 4 nights at SSR and 6 nights BCV, 2 studios, one for us and one for our friends from 2 November 2020. We are due to fly out on 31 October and have 2 nights cash booking with Disney that we could easily move.

For our DVC bookings, all SSR points are borrowed from March 2021 use year so will need to be used by end February 2021.

All but 11 of the BCV points were borrowed from February 2021 use year so will need to be used by end January 2021.

I’m predicting that the resorts will open over the summer so my bookings will be going ahead, however I think it’s unlikely that we will want to go even if the flights are back on (I presume we will just have to forfeit the cost of the flights )

What would you do? Cancel now and try and rent the points out? See if I can rent out the reservations? Or move the points into RCI? Hang on a bit longer and see how things pan out? Or is there anything else I’m missing?
Old 12 May 20, 06:46 AM  
Link to this Post
ginnyfish
Getting Excited

Hi, I was in the same boat, going out on the 8th of November, on a lot of borrowed points. I believe all borrowed are still be returned to their use year. Mine where when I cancelled. It’s a temporary change to the rules to help people like us out. At the same time I also put a deposit down on a cash reservation for my dates, just in case the flights go ahead. If you just do it under your name, you will only stand to loose £50. Use a cash back site, like top cash back, and you will get most of that back anyway. I hope that helps.
Old 12 May 20, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
MissPiggy2012
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ginnyfish View Post
Hi, I was in the same boat, going out on the 8th of November, on a lot of borrowed points. I believe all borrowed are still be returned to their use year. Mine where when I cancelled. It’s a temporary change to the rules to help people like us out. At the same time I also put a deposit down on a cash reservation for my dates, just in case the flights go ahead. If you just do it under your name, you will only stand to loose £50. Use a cash back site, like top cash back, and you will get most of that back anyway. I hope that helps.
I didn’t realise they were allowing borrowed points to be put back, so thank you for letting me know, I will give them a call and see if they will do it.
Old 12 May 20, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Brock
Excited about Disney

Try changing the flight tickets to open flight tickets.
That should give you a minimum of 12 months to re-schedule.
Brock is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 20, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Helenr
Imagineer

Helenr's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I was in a similar position, due to fly 20th October.

I made the decision to cancel my dvc booking to protect my points, whilst Disney is still offering the Option to put back borrowed points.

My flights are paid (cash) for with virgin.

At present I can’t do anything about the flights, too early to go for the open ticket option, they obviously arent cancelled, so I’ll take a view nearer the time.

If the money is recoupable great, if the situation looks ok, we might fly and have a beach holiday in Fl, or even book something near Disney if things are back to something like normal.

If flights go, and FL is not somewhere I’m comfortable going, well so be it, I won’t risk having a crap holiday or our health for the cost of the flights.

Good luck with your decision.

'99, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '08 x2, '09 x2,
'10 x2, '11, '12 x2, '13, '14, '15 x2, ‘16, ‘17, ‘18, ‘19 x2
Helenr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 20, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
MissPiggy2012
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Helenr View Post
I was in a similar position, due to fly 20th October.

I made the decision to cancel my dvc booking to protect my points, whilst Disney is still offering the Option to put back borrowed points.

My flights are paid (cash) for with virgin.

At present I can’t do anything about the flights, too early to go for the open ticket option, they obviously arent cancelled, so I’ll take a view nearer the time.

If the money is recoupable great, if the situation looks ok, we might fly and have a beach holiday in Fl, or even book something near Disney if things are back to something like normal.

If flights go, and FL is not somewhere I’m comfortable going, well so be it, I won’t risk having a crap holiday or our health for the cost of the flights.

Good luck with your decision.
Thank you, I had completely forgotten that DVC had temporary changed their cancellation policy so that the points would go back to their original year. We are going to cancel our DVC reservation and write off the flights. Hopefully nearer the time we might be able to move them. Just got to break the news to our friends now
Old 13 May 20, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

We're probably going to do the same as Helen, our holiday is booked for the end of August / beginning of September, we'd decided on a deadline of the end of May to preempt cancellation ourselves if the decision hadn't yet been made for us.

We also can't do anything about our flights yet as they're booked directly with Virgin Atlantic, but we'll either get the refund or reschedule them for a time / place we can go to end of the year or next year if possible.

It'd be good to cancel while we can still get our borrowed 2021 points put back to their year, we were going out with friends so had 2 x 1 beds for 14 nights, using all of 2020's and most of 2021's so a lot of points to lose.

We've no idea when we'll be able to reschedule due to both familys' plans next year but I'm sure we'll figure something out for 2022, I'm hoping for January due to having a February use year, as we could then still utilise the same points.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 20, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

I did this yesterday more details on my separate post.
Old 13 May 20, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Helenr
Imagineer

Helenr's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
If you hadn’t booked anything, would you book right now? If the answer is no, the cancel, if it’s yes, hang in there

'99, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '08 x2, '09 x2,
'10 x2, '11, '12 x2, '13, '14, '15 x2, ‘16, ‘17, ‘18, ‘19 x2
Helenr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 20, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
We're in the same boat! We were doing a transatlantic cruise from Barcelona to Florida on the 5th Nov which has just been cancelled! ☹ we have a stay booked with DVC AKV from the 19th Nov to 28th Nov booked at 11 months. It was booked using a few 2018 points and some 2019 points as our use year is Dec!

My dd was meant to be going out to Disney's CRP programme for a year at the end of July, so we were going mainly to see her? She does not at the moment know if she will be going? They are still saying she is though?

I'm totally confused as to the banking rule changes, I find it hard enough normally 😂! If we end up not going? Could I rent the 9 days out? It's over Thanksgiving so fully booked? Or what's my deadline to cancel and bank points, is it July 31st as normal?

I'm totally confused! 🤯

Edited at 11:11 AM.
catlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List