Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 20 May 20, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Alaskan Cruises and Dealing with the time difference

You read this right - BB is posting a travel related question!

Seriously, we are hopeful that maybe sometime in the next couple of years we will go on alaskan cruise. For those of you that have done this from the UK I wondered how you have prepared yourself for the 8 hour time difference?

I know there will be loads of different answers so I curious to read "what works for you" answers.

If the answer involves spending 2 weeks in WDW prior to travelling to the west coast then so be it

Thanks everyone.
Old 20 May 20, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Mobile

I did what I always do, set my watch/devices to the new time as I boarded the plane and stayed up as late as I could on arrival day. Other than waking early for the next week I was fine.

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 20, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

BA currently have two flights to Seattle a morning one and an afternoon one. If travelling that way we always get the afternoon one. Allows a leisurely get up and to the airport. It arrives about 5.30pm Seattle time.

We take the train into the city, 20 mins, go to the hotel have a quick meal and into bed. Its early morning UK time by then. SLeep through till the next morning early breakfast and feel fine.
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 20, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Sweeney_Todd
Imagineer

Much the same as going to Florida, but remembering that you will probably get up three hours earlier the first morning than you do in Florida.
Having flown direct to LV, Seattle and Vancouver, we really don't notice any discernible difference after the first day.

If you're sailing from Vancouver try and make it more special by staying in one of the hotels in Coal Harbour.

"Right love, shut up and listen - an ADR for two at Crystal Palace, name of Regan. Got it?"

40?...Face?...Bovvered? ...-...Our Feb 2008 Trippies
Sweeney_Todd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 20, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
wdw-wanderer
Apprentice Imagineer

Alaska is 9 hours behind the UK - it’s in the Alaska Daylight Time zone but Vancouver & Seattle are 8 hours behind as they’re in the Pacific Daylight zone.
wdw-wanderer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 20, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by wdw-wanderer View Post
Alaska is 9 hours behind the UK - it’s in the Alaska Daylight Time zone but Vancouver & Seattle are 8 hours behind as they’re in the Pacific Daylight zone.
You gain and lose the additional hour overnight on sea days so you don’t notice it onboard 😊

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 20, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

I also think its about trying to prepare for it. I find loosing the time harder so when you fly back it hits you more than when you fly there in my opinion.

I've also heard liquid oxygen drops help. I'm not sure if they do but its an option.
Old 20 May 20, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I didn’t find it a struggle. Just kept going as usual. But if I did an Alaska cruise again I’d defo get to the west coast a few days earlier to adjust. It took the edge of the cruise for a couple of days being jet lagged.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 20, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkJ
Imagineer

Mobile

Been twice and fairly regularly to the US west coast. I usually do these -

Try to arrive in the US around team - 4-5pm if possible - it reduces the time you need to stay awake!

Sleep on the plane on the way over - I find this makes me feel much better that first evening.

Have dinner booked somewhere for 7pm or thereabouts. This gives you something to look forward to that evening.

Dont go to bed too early - I try to wait til 10pm

Also agree with the above as have cruised twice in Alaska from Seatttle (and booked for this July but postponed to 21) have 2/3 days before the cruise. Seattle and Vancouver are both fab cities for a couple of days and those couple of days help you acclimatise. It would be a shame to miss activities or entertainment on the cruise if you were too tired.

You will probably wake up up early or in the middle of the night - just relax, go with it and treat it as a lie in!
MarkJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 May 20, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

A big "thanks" to everyone for your tips. When we go to FL I am very good at coping with the time difference going out it's coming back I find harder.

I think I have only been to the west coast on Business and I tried to limit to a couple of days at a time so I never really adjusted. We did think about the idea of going to the east coast for a few days first and then flying onto Vancouver for the cruise

Once again thank you everyone.