Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 2 Jun 20, 07:04 AM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

For a first trip midtown is very special (unless the person hates the hustle ad bustle of cities) and I really like the area South of Central Park so between 46th and 58th Street and W of 5th Avenue. If you're after something a little quieter and more residential New York then the Upper West Side and Chelsea and picturesque neoghbourhoods that give you a feel of what it would be like to live there as a well heeled New Yorker.

I've been 11 times, was supposed to be there in September for trip 12 to take in the US Open. Prices are now about a third of what they were when I booked in January. Who knows what they will settle out at when travel starts to pick up again but I suspect bargains may be had as a lot of domestic tourists will be scared off NYC for a while.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
capecoralfl
Apprentice Imagineer

We like around the Bryant Park area and have stayed in The Refinery Hotel (which has a great rooftop bar & restaurant) and also The Andaz (looking right into Bryant park, where weve had picnics in the summer and sat and watched the ice skating in the winter). Whilst the Times Square area is full of action (and we liked The Hilton Hotel at Times Square) I find its too busy, touristy and full of dodgy characters trying to sell you stuff!
I love NYC and we have happily walked all over Manhattan many times.
capecoralfl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We have a package booked for January with BA that we booked pre covid. We booked the Riu Plaza, looks good and gets good reviews. Fingers crossed it goes ahead!
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
TheGrahams
Apprentice Imagineer

We have been lots of times in April and next year we have decided to stay away from time square area and staying in holiday inn financial district as we find we spend lots of time down that area, we have heard lots of restaurants and pub are in this area and easy to get to lots of things, so hoping it is good.

Billy , Liz , Liam & Gemma
TheGrahams is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Evil queen
Imagineer

We have stayed twice at the Westin Times Square on 43rd/8th and really enjoyed both of our stays. A quick walk to Times Square which we enjoyed on an evening, but also really convenient for walking to lots of other places eg 5th Ave, Empire State Building and Central Park and also convenient for the subway if you dont fancy walking. We liked the hotel, had no problem with noise- its just far enough away from Times Square for it not to be an issue.
Evil queen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

My inlaws have stayed at Hotel Metro in Midtown a couple of times and highly recommend it. Fairly priced in a great location with views of the ESB from the rooftop bar.
My parents stayed in the Park Lane Hotel right opposite Central Park. Stunning hotel with great views from your room but a lot more expensive and not so centrally located.
We stayed in an AirBnB in Union City, New Jersey. Whatever you do, DON'T make the same mistake we did, it was terrible . If you're fans of Carlos Bakery then do visit Hoboken as that is a lovely town and very easy to get to on the PATH train from Manhatten

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
twogoto
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks everyone for your replies. Just booked the Arlo Nomad hotel which looks fine for us and has good reviews. Its on east 31st street and almost on the corner of 5th Avenue, a 5min walk from the Empire State. Hopefully this location is ok! Any tips appreciated regarding what to do, tickets to buy etc - I am clueless! We will (all being well) be going 23rd to 28th December. Now Im off to watch home alone!
Sept 21 TwoGoTo Aiya Napa - Amarande Hotel
Nov 21 TwoGoTo New York - The James New York Nomad
Mar 22 TwoGoTo Orlando - Cabana Bay
Sept 22 TwoGoTo Orlando - Sapphire Falls
Nov 22 TwoGoTo Rome - 9Hotel Cesari
July 23 TwoGoTo Kos - Mitsis Summer Palace
Sept 23 TwoGoTo Orlando - Sapphire Falls
twogoto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by twogoto View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. Just booked the Arlo Nomad hotel which looks fine for us and has good reviews. Its on east 31st street and almost on the corner of 5th Avenue, a 5min walk from the Empire State. Hopefully this location is ok! Any tips appreciated regarding what to do, tickets to buy etc - I am clueless! We will (all being well) be going 23rd to 28th December. Now Im off to watch home alone!
The highlight of our trip was the Crown of the Statue of Liberty. It is a steep climb up but so worth it. Tickets need to be booked about 6 months in advance. The other was the One World Observatory which really did take my breath away. We bought a Sightseeing Pass. I know a lot of people dont think they are good value but we made it pay and it was easier with no paying and we didnt need to queue. Of course the 9/11 museum is essential too but is quite draining so maybe dont plan anything else the same day. We found it best to arrive at attractions/ museums for opening. The observatories we went to about 1 hour before sunset so we saw the views at both day and night time.

Going for Christmas really will be amazing. Have a fantastic time.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Lau-nicole
Excited about Disney

Statue of Liberty was one of our highlights too, we didnt do the crown but we did pay the extra to go on the pedestal which was worth it to go inside the statue and see the view.

Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge into Brooklyn Bridge Park to see the Manhattan skyline was a favourite of ours too

Obviously see a show on broadway as well if thats something youre interested in! We saw Frozen the musical

Im a bit jealous I would love to go at Christmas!
Lau-nicole is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsmickey
Very Serious Dibber

We did Rockefeller Center rather than the Empire State as you can see the Empire State Building when you go up the Rockefeller Center. Im a big baker and loved Bouchon bakery (at the Rockefeller Center) and the Dominique ansell bakery (the home of the Cronut, its not so far from the world trade Center). The World Trade Center memorial is incredibly moving and well worth a visit.
mrsmickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List