Notices

Old 4 Aug 15, 06:16 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Sounds like a fab trip. How many miles do you reckon it will be and how long will it take.

I m quite jealous. Also I am in awe of anyone who can plan such a trip. Well done you.

Without run - arounds and day trips out it's some 1756 miles. Not the longest road trip we've done by any means! Reckon around 2,000 by the time we've done.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 15, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by anji View Post
Another brilliant trip in the planning! We're doing part of that too on our trip next year - Seattle to San Francisco - staying in Portland, Seattle and Hood River which are on your route. Also booked Crater Lake Lodge through Xanterra. The full-up advance bookings already are horrendous!

Lovely that you get to meet your friends again too.
Can I recommend the Columbia River Gorge Hotel for Hood River - Rudolph Valentino used to stay there!

columbiagorgehotel/
Old 5 Aug 15, 01:49 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
Can I recommend the Columbia River Gorge Hotel for Hood River - Rudolph Valentino used to stay there!

columbiagorgehotel/
We're staying in a Riverview room next door at the Vagabond Lodge. Intend visiting there for a drink though!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 15, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by anji View Post
We're staying in a Riverview room next door at the Vagabond Lodge. Intend visiting there for a drink though!
Do. The Valentino terrace is a lovely setting with the Wah Gwin Gwin (rushing water) waterfall nearby and great views across the gorge.
Old 4 Oct 15, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post

So we have decided that there is no way we are going to pay $600 each for a 90 minute flight to Jackson Hole from Denver. Plus they want extra luggage charges on top. So that part of the journey will be by road split over 3 days. The first day will see us head out from Denver towards Cheyenne and then Laramie (yes, where the fort was) ending up in Elk Mountain. 192 miles. It has one hotel run by a couple of Brits and it is exceptional. I won't spoil it with pictures now - wait and see. The second day will see us wend our way from Elk Mountain to Rock Springs - 153 miles and then on the third day we'll be doing Rock Springs to Jackson Hole - 179 miles - staying at the Painted Buffalo Inn. We had originally booked the Rustic Inn but with a bill for $650 for a couple of nights we decided it was way too much and cancelled. The cheeky so and sos took ALL the money now (10 months in advance) unlike other establishments that just hold your card number. They'd better be quick refunding that $650.
I think a drive of 2 1/2 to 3 hours a day is more than enough for Darrin. I don't drive. It means we can idle our way to our destinations and enjoy the scenery and little towns along the way. We may never go that way again so we want to soak it in. 524 miles of pure America.
Old 8 Oct 15, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Sounds fab and so much better than flying!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 15, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Sounds like a great trip Geoffa! Can i ask when you go?

We are doing Vancouver, Seattle, Portland and the surrounding areas at the end of July/August. Haven't nailed down where we are going or staying yet. You are a fair bit further in the planning than us, although we have the flights.

We are looking at the Kimptons in Portland and Seattle...obviously
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 15, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
dozy
Imagineer

dozy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
sounds fab - can i come with you?

dozy does de west... vegas baby
http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=886432
dozy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 15, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyGoLucky
Imagineer

I am also going to Yellowstone next August. We have 4 nights Old Faithful and 3 nigths Lake.
I know what you mean about booking on release- I was sat waiting at my laptop!
Old 26 Dec 15, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post

Want to book a cookout - where you go on a trail and then have a meal around a campfire. Will have to keep checking everyday from Jan 1st. as they sell out.