Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 May 19, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by salmim View Post
My Grandad had a dog that was killed in the Blitz...It's name was N word...Oh my.
I had a friend at school we called him in a friendly way S**bo
I used to love watching Love thy Neighbour and Mind Your Language was hilarious.
My MIL still asks me to go to the P**i Shop despite trying to explain it's not acceptable

But thank goodness things are changing and the younger generation just don't compute with this
We had a Jewish shop, which our local open all hours type of place! The owners were all Jewish, so it seemed appropriate and not insulting! Times have changed!
Old 10 May 19, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Is Danny Baker seriously saying he didn’t know Meghan’s mum is black? Did he not see any footage of the wedding? I find it really hard to believe his excuses. He is just digging a big hole
I had no idea she was black either as I didn’t watch the wedding, and why do you assume he must have seen some footage of it? There’s plenty of people, including myself, who couldn’t care less about a royal wedding.

I knew she is mixed race but it could have been because her dad was black for all I know

March 2015 - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=865148
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 19, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Bugsy
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
I had no idea until yesterday Meghan’s mum is black
were you aware that she had African heritage ( Mixed race) ?
Sequoia Lodge 2006,Sequoia Lodge 2008,Sequoia Lodge 2009,Old Key West 2010,Sequoia Lodge 2011,Old Key West 2012,Old Key West 2014,Royal Pacific Resort 2016,Anaheim 2016,Sequoia Lodge 2018,Beach Club 2019
Bugsy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 19, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by riversider2014 View Post
I had no idea she was black either as I didn’t watch the wedding, and why do you assume he must have seen some footage of it? There’s plenty of people, including myself, who couldn’t care less about a royal wedding.

I knew she is mixed race but it could have been because her dad was black for all I know
Yes I agree not everyone cares about the royals but he works in the media for the BBC so I find it hard to believe he didn’t have some knowledge of this
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 19, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

This article popped up on BBC just now.

bbc/news/entertainment-arts-48226247

Worth a read (of his Twitter feed in the article). Not sure there is much more he can say. And not sure I can add anything to this thread either. FWIW my thinking is along the lines of what Yorkshire T has been posting above.
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 19, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by riversider2014 View Post
There’s already a mini backlash with people watching friends. Pointing out that there were a lot of jokes about Ross ex being a lesbian and when they had all the fat jokes about Monica..

independent/arts-e...-a8154626.html

Same with Seinfeld with the lack of black characters in the series.
dh and me were saying the other day how friends hasn't stood the test of time. We watched a few and honestly we were gringing.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 19, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gl20 View Post
This article popped up on BBC just now.

bbc/news/entertainment-arts-48226247

Worth a read (of his Twitter feed in the article). Not sure there is much more he can say. And not sure I can add anything to this thread either. FWIW my thinking is along the lines of what Yorkshire T has been posting above.
Much better...
Trying to make light of it was incredibly stupid and this latest statement is credible and I really hope genuine.
I think the BBC sacked him as much for the trying to brush it off as the initial stupidity and have offered him a lifeline , after a decent period has passed I suspect he will reappear freelancing for the BBC.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 19, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
HelenLime
Apprentice Imagineer

It was a horrid tweet and I completely and utterly understand why it was viewed in the way it was.

I can’t however imagine that he thought it was racist when he tweeted it (not that this matters). If he did he’d have known he was committing career suicide surely.

It’s a lesson for us all in how we use and abuse social media. A tweet, meant to be satirical and snipey about the royal family has cost someone their job because it has, quite rightly IMO , been flagged as racist. If he’d taken time to just think for a minute I bet he would have twigged how it would be viewed and wouldn’t have sent it. If more people just took a minute to think before firing off tweets (or indeed took time to think in general) the world would be a better place.

Edited at 12:39 PM.
HelenLime is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 19, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post

However I am sure that I read somewhere that the same person has already been sacked multiple times by the BBC for various things. And always seems to get rehired. I am sure he will pop back up when all the furore has dies down.

This wouldn't fly in a lot of other places- in my employer you would be out the first time and never rehired- so I do wonder what the BBC are playing at.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 19, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Fluzz View Post
However I am sure that I read somewhere that the same person has already been sacked multiple times by the BBC for various things. And always seems to get rehired. I am sure he will pop back up when all the furore has dies down.

This wouldn't fly in a lot of other places- in my employer you would be out the first time and never rehired- so I do wonder what the BBC are playing at.
I think they are playing it safer now, shame they weren’t so fussy with some of the historic employees antics! Jonathan Ross was sacked and he went elsewhere. He owned up to being wrong at the time too. Others have done much worse and were almost sainted at the time.