Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 May 19, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
judy22
Apprentice Imagineer

I give £100.
judy22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 19, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

Wow I am surprised with the amounts to be honest, although it was 12 years ago that I got married. We mainly got £20.00-£30.00 the odd £50.00 and £100.00 from one uncle. I remember the 100.00 as was shocked they gave us so much.

All our friends are married now though so it will be a while until we start to get invites to friends childrens etc.
Old 18 May 19, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jakey Neverland View Post
Wow I am surprised with the amounts to be honest, although it was 12 years ago that I got married. We mainly got £20.00-£30.00 the odd £50.00 and £100.00 from one uncle. I remember the 100.00 as was shocked they gave us so much.

All our friends are married now though so it will be a while until we start to get invites to friends childrens etc.
I was thinking the same lol we didn't get huge amounts either from our gift list or in vouchers got married 12 years a go as well
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 19, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jakey Neverland View Post

Me too! I would expect to spend £30 - £40 on a gift for a friend’s daughter, so this what I would give if I had to give money.
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 19, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bluedave View Post
Absolutely hate it when people ask for money especially with those silly little poems in with the invites, but I tend to give £100 for family and £50 none family. Evening only invited get a bottle of champagne.

In this case I’d go for £50ish but no champagne
Can I ask why? I mean we’re doing this regardless lol but I am intrigued as to why you absolutely hate it?
I prefer it, every wedding weve been to except 1 last year asked for money and we found it so much easier. Honestly the couple that had a gift list still got money because we couldn’t afford what was on their gift list.

I much prefer to give them something they want and if that’s money towards a honeymoon then so be it . No point giving them something they wouldn’t use! We also don’t like chapagne or wine so we’d end up giving that away - we did the same when we got given it at our engagement party (didn’t realise engagement gifts were a thing!)

We usually do £50 for the day and £30 for the wedding.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 19, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

I think you should just give what you feel comfortable with, you must have some idea in your mind. For me personally I give the same regardless if I attend all day or just the evening . I hope no bride and groom would think someone was stingy however much was given as a present .
Old 18 May 19, 07:16 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m happy to give money if asked but I don’t like the twee little poems, to me it’s tacky.

I’d say £50 plus champagne is a lovely gift. Neither “stingey “ nor OTT.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 19, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsnicola
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
I think you should just give what you feel comfortable with, you must have some idea in your mind. For me personally I give the same regardless if I attend all day or just the evening . I hope no bride and groom would think someone was stingy however much was given as a present .

I was thinking about £30 plus a bottle however friends of mine have suggested I give £100 x
mrsnicola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 19, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
I love walmart
Being a bit Goofy

Mobile

I’ve got a couple of weddings coming up and will give £100. We are a family of four. If it was just the two of us I’d probably give £50.
I would only give Champagne if I knew the couple in question liked it, as quite a lot of people don’t.
I love walmart is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 19, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by mrsnicola View Post
I was thinking about £30 plus a bottle however friends of mine have suggested I give £100 x
I wouldn't feel bad at what you were thinking! If anyone thinks negatively of a gift like that after all the expense and time off work to attend their wedding they aren't worth fretting over.

Some people seem to think the couple should be "reimbursed" for what your meal and drinks etc cost but I can't say I agree with that. These days, their choice to have a wedding at whatever price point, you oughtn't expect to get gifts to come out at a break even/profit.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List